It's Time to Promote Trey Mancini

sportsfan8703

I wonder if it's worthwhile to move Mancini to AAA now that Urrutia is in the majors and Parmelee has broken his arm. That way we'd get a couple of weeks to see how he handles AAA.

I know they've moved the fences in Norfolk, but it still seems like they're wary of developing hitters there, at least the young guys. The older international guys they don't see to mind stashing there.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my thoughts right now about Mancini:

1. I'm not a scout(obviously). But didn't a story just come out about how Brady went down to Bowie and saw a late 20's Joseph alternating between 1st, C, LF and DH and suggested that he go back to catching full time. So stuff gets missed sometimes. It's like when Buck sent Thome to go watch Machado and give his opinion. So unless there is some major flaw with this guy he should be up here. His hard work has paid off.

2. The Urrutia comparison's are not fair to him. Quite frankly they aren't fair to this version of Urrutia. Urrutia was in a very unique situation in 2013.

3. The comparison's to Fiorentino, D.Cabrera, Matos are laughable. Those guys were promoted from A ball. Matos had some games in Bowie. Boy were those times embarrassing, and we think our farm system is bad now.

4. I personally don't like our hitters having to go through Norfolk to prove themselves. It has a huge park factor. You want to talk about destroying a young players confidence, send him there. Machado never played in AAA. Schoop had a lousy season there. MW was slumping terribly when we called him up from there. It was even sugested that we ccalled him up before his confidence started to slip. Walker, Alvarez, Urrutia, and even Almanzar have a ton of doubles down there. How much better would there numbers be if some of those line drives went for HR's rather than doubles. Look who kills down there. Players like Parm, who is the king of the high lofted fly ball to make it over the big OF wall. Those 4 players above rank 5th, 7th, 12th, and 17th in the IL in doubles. All have OPS's sub .800. That's rare.

5. Mancini was a 3 year college player. This is now his 3rd season being a pro. It will do him no harm to have him come up and bat 9th today against the LHP Brad Mills. He's obviously worked his tail off. So give him to Coolbaugh for the rest of the year and let him collect a MLB salary. I don't think he's going to have PTSD if he ends up back in AAA to start next year. We're already getting a .650 or lower OPS from Lough, Flaherty and Reimold. Why not give the kid a chance?

3. The comparison's to Fiorentino, D.Cabrera, Matos are laughable. Those guys were promoted from A ball. Matos had some games in Bowie.

Matos had 517 plate appearances at Bowie before being called up, significantly more than Mancini's 255. Hell, Matos had 40 AAA plate appearances.

Here's my thoughts right now about Mancini:

1. I'm not a scout(obviously). But didn't a story just come out about how Brady went down to Bowie and saw a late 20's Joseph alternating between 1st, C, LF and DH and suggested that he go back to catching full time. So stuff gets missed sometimes. It's like when Buck sent Thome to go watch Machado and give his opinion. So unless there is some major flaw with this guy he should be up here. His hard work has paid off.

I dont believe it was Brady, from everything I had ready online, it was an uname FO person that had enough clot that they listened, that saw him bouncing around positions and remind the club that the job of the minors was to develop the players.

Matos had 517 plate appearances at Bowie before being called up, significantly more than Mancini's 255. Hell, Matos had 40 AAA plate appearances.

Markakis is an interesting comp. He only had 105 PA in AA, plus 98 PA in the AFL, before starting 2006 in the majors at age 22. Of course, he raked all through spring training to earn that. And, he was a player with unusually good plate discipline.

Markakis is an interesting comp. He only had 105 PA in AA, plus 98 PA in the AFL, before starting 2006 in the majors at age 22. Of course, he raked all through spring training to earn that. And, he was a player with unusually good plate discipline.

Sometimes last place clubs will bring up a guy early.

Look at the Orioles and Manny, with their desperate need for somebody who could actually field the 3rd base position.

Sometimes last place clubs will bring up a guy early.

Look at the Orioles and Manny, with their desperate need for somebody who could actually field the 3rd base position.

I think good teams are as likely to take a chance on a young guy as bad teams. Good teams have the resources and the support structure to make it work, and to plug the hole if it doesn't. Bad teams often look at their top prospect in AA as the key to the future, a precious, fragile thing they're really counting on. You can't do risky things with that. Good teams see them as a guy who could help the team continue winning, and if it doesn't work that's okay. We're a good organization, we'll be fine.

I think good teams are as likely to take a chance on a young guy as bad teams. Good teams have the resources and the support structure to make it work, and to plug the hole if it doesn't. Bad teams often look at their top prospect in AA as the key to the future, a precious, fragile thing they're really counting on. You can't do risky things with that. Good teams see them as a guy who could help the team continue winning, and if it doesn't work that's okay. We're a good organization, we'll be fine.

Point taken.

My somewhat uninformed opinion is that bat speed is overrated. (Cue a real scout telling me I'm an idiot - and I may well be on this topic.) All I know is that up until about 1960 there were all kinds of very successful MLB players who'd now be characterized as having terrible bat speed. Then the draft was instituted, scouting kind of got standardized, and before long everyone "knew" that bat speed was criteria 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 on a ten-point assessment of a young hitter.

With all the teams using flame throwing guys in their pen's nowadays that isn't a concern?

I think that "rushing a prospect" is way overstated. Sure, sometimes you can get a pitcher in over his head, he tries to do too much, gets hurt, etc. But people and players in general are pretty darned resilient. If you call up a guy from AA and he goes 6-for-38 he's not going to get post traumatic stress disorder. He'll probably just learn from it. I'm all for calling up a player on as aggressive a schedule as is reasonable. Tell him he's good, we believe in you, you have the full support of the coaching staff, we're giving you hundreds of at bats not matter what, and you'll be fine.

As good of a year he has had if the team was playing better nobody would be calling for him to be in Baltimore. If the Orioles genuinely think he was ready I think they would call him up. They had a need with Machado in 2012 and we all know how well that worked. They aren't going to force it because he doesn't even have to be on the 40 man next year.

Buck went to the Baysox game on his off-day and saw Mancini go 3 for 4 with a homer. Some noncommittal comments here: http://m.masn.mobi/school-of-roch/2015/08/more-on-hall-of-fame-ceremony-wieters-and-mancini.html

The fact that he went is why Buck is awesome. And it's great that all the affiliates are so close to Baltimore. Mancini is obviously a move they are considering making. Give Urrutia(Lake down) his chance until this friday(8/21) when we face LHP Tommy Milone. At that point we need a RH hitter for the day to DH. That could be a chance for Walker or Mancini. These are the dates to keep an eye on Mancini coming up

8/21 LHP Tommy Milone Twins

8/25 LHP Dan Duffy Royals

8/28 LHP Hamels Rangers (Gausman should be optioned after this start until 9/1)

8/30 LHP Perez Rangers

Archived