It's Time to Promote Trey Mancini

sportsfan8703

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all the teams using flame throwing guys in their pen's nowadays that isn't a concern?

Yea, maybe. But it was a whole different philosophy. Today the mantra is bat speed = hitting the ball as hard as you can as often as you can. But guys like Luke Appling or Richie Ashburn or Willie Keeler didn't try to hit the ball hard, at least some of the time. They really just tried to put the bat on the ball. Some even used heavy bats, as thick as the rules would allow, and just dropped the bat head into the zone and tried to make contact. They made their living on Texas Leaguers and bloops and infield hits and fouling off pitches. Sure, they'd drive the ball on occasion, but as often as not they'd just put the ball in play and hope for the best. And when you're doing that you probably have a bit more control over the direction of your hit and you can do things like try to place the ball where the fielders aren't.

Now... the game isn't the same as it was in 1950. And it's clearly very different from 1915 or 1890. It's entirely possible that better pitching, better fielders, and now data and shifts have made this type of hitter extinct for a good reason. Trying that today might just result in a .170/.250/.220 line. But, since everyone has been taught to worship at the altar of bat speed for several generations we're not quite sure. The closest to this in recent times is probably Ichiro.

As good of a year he has had if the team was playing better nobody would be calling for him to be in Baltimore.

They had a need with Machado in 2012 and we all know how well that worked.

Aren't those two statements in conflict? The 2012 Orioles were playing well, they were in the middle of the pennant race. And they called up a 19-year-old kid from AA. Like I mentioned in another post, I think good teams are as likely to take a chance on a kid as bad teams, maybe more likely. The bad teams see a Machado (or maybe a Mancini) in AA as the future of the team, the guy who they can't screw up or they'll stay irrelevant for years. Good teams sometimes see someone like that as a piece of the puzzle, the guy who might step in and fill a hole without needing to be a savior. Someone they can surround with other talent and support.

• 3 weeks later...

The time has past when Mancini should have been promoted. Now he should stay at Bowie and not be added to the major league roster. He is protected from the Rule 5 draft and there is not reason to burn a roster spot. Invite him to ST.

This is also true for Gunkel and Miranda.

I don't think someone with Mancini's obvious attitude issue is going to accept mentoring from someone younger then him.

You must have missed my sarcasm alert. :)

Personally, in my opinion, no big deal, guys get ejected, they are competitors.

If I remember the Earl quote correctly, its the manager's job to get ejected, as they are not important to the game.

You must have missed my sarcasm alert. :)

Personally, in my opinion, no big deal, guys get ejected, they are competitors.

If I remember the Earl quote correctly, its the manager's job to get ejected, as they are not important to the game.

Or I was playing along. (Manny is all of four months younger and as far as I know Mancini doesn't have any attitude issues)

In other news no one cares about other then me, Mancini is exactly 20 years younger then I am.

Or I was playing along. (Manny is all of four months younger and as far as I know Mancini doesn't have any attitude issues)

In other news no one cares about other then me, Mancini is exactly 20 years younger then I am.

Happy Birthdays to both of you.

The time has past when Mancini should have been promoted. Now he should stay at Bowie and not be added to the major league roster. He is protected from the Rule 5 draft and there is not reason to burn a roster spot. Invite him to ST.

This is also true for Gunkel and Miranda.

Couldn't agree more.

Archived