The Duquette Conundrum

mdbdotcom

I said it 3 years ago, I said it 2 years ago and I said it this past offseason. You can view a GM's work about 3 years down the road. AM did a fabulous job of building this team back, and DD has burned it down. This is not sour grapes. I said this past winter that if the Orioles did well this year and going forward, DD would deserve the credit. We could have brought back Syd Thrift after Andy left and we would have won. This team was set up for success. Right now I would offer Philadelphia DD and a nice package of prospects for Andy MacPhail.

That's pure comic gold! You had me going for a minute, I almost thought this was for real.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here we go again. Either DD is the absolute God of Orioles' Baseball and can do no (or very little) wrong. Or else DD is a big bum who should take his act to Toronto and don't let the door hit you too hard on the way out.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. DD has done some very good things. And he's made some mistakes. It should be OK to discuss DD's successes and mistakes here on a fan forum board, without anyone getting defensive about it on either side.

My stance before the season started was that I would be fine if Toronto took him. Brady can dominate the Rule V just as well I'm sure.

I believe it's fair to say that literally every offseason move was a fail. You know you're not helping the team when Snider is your best move. Cabrera, Wright, Young, De Aza, Matusz, Hunter, etc., yeesh...

DD has done some good and some bad. We have had 3 straight winning seasons. There is no doubt Andy had big rope in making that happen because many of our players were secured on his watch.

I think it is hard to argue this past off season wasn't a total disaster but I think more blame goes to PA.

DD has done some good and some bad. We have had 3 straight winning seasons. There is no doubt Andy had big rope in making that happen because many of our players were secured on his watch.

I think it is hard to argue this past off season wasn't a total disaster but I think more blame goes to PA.

I don't think the offseason was a disaster at all. The way some players have not lived up to their career averages has been disastrous. I don't know how you blame anyone but the players for that.

I don't think the offseason was a disaster at all. The way some players have not lived up to their career averages has been disastrous. I don't know how you blame anyone but the players for that.
Really. If everyone was having career average years we'd be in good shape.

What players are we talking about?I guess Hardy and Wieters.Wieters is coming back from TJ surgery.Hardy hit nine homers last year.Jones is a little below but Davis is about average.Manny and Paredes are over performing. Pearce was released last year and then had a career second half.Snider had a good second half last year but has done nothing special for his career. De Aza and Young are OK but nothing special.Parmalee has been released and has been nothing in his career. Lough can run but is not much of a hitter Reimold is a guy with injury history and has not played many major league games over the last few year

I said it 3 years ago, I said it 2 years ago and I said it this past offseason. You can view a GM's work about 3 years down the road. AM did a fabulous job of building this team back, and DD has burned it down. This is not sour grapes. I said this past winter that if the Orioles did well this year and going forward, DD would deserve the credit. We could have brought back Syd Thrift after Andy left and we would have won. This team was set up for success. Right now I would offer Philadelphia DD and a nice package of prospects for Andy MacPhail.

Rep abounds! You really had me for a couple moments there. I love this type of comedy.

What players are we talking about?I guess Hardy and Wieters.Wieters is coming back from TJ surgery.Hardy hit nine homers last year.Jones is a little below but Davis is about average.Manny and Paredes are over performing. Pearce was released last year and rhey had a carter second half.Snider had a good second half last year but has done nothing special for his career. De Aza and Young are OK but nothing special.Parmalee has been released and has been nothing in his career. Lough can run but is not much of a hitter Reimold is a guy with injury history and has not played many major league games over the last few years

Career OPS vs 2015 w/O's

Steve Pearce .756 vs. .682

Travis Snider .711 vs. .671

Alejandro De Aza .734 vs. .636

JJ Hardy .728 vs. .617

Matt Wieters .740 vs. .659

Career ERA vs 2015 w/O's

Miguel Gonzalez 3.56 vs. 3.99

Chris Tillman 4.09 vs. 4.71

Bud Norris 4.40 vs. 6.79

IMHO, adding one big free agent in the off-season would not have compensated for this drop in production from eight ballplayers. With career average production from these guys we'd be in the driver's seat in the AL East. We saw that in June.

Career OPS vs 2015 w/O's

JJ Hardy .728 vs. .617

Career ERA vs 2015 w/O's

Bud Norris 4.40 vs. 6.79

IMHO, adding one big free agent in the off-season would not have compensated for this drop in production from eight ballplayers. With career average production from these guys we'd be in the driver's seat in the AL East. We saw that in June.

But by having Cruz back would that have taken some of the pressure off the other guys? Snide

r now looks lost with no confidence. I guess we will never know.

Career OPS vs 2015 w/O's

JJ Hardy .728 vs. .617

Career ERA vs 2015 w/O's

Bud Norris 4.40 vs. 6.79

This might be one of the bests posts ever. Saddly it will go unacknowledged by the ones it targets.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

But by having Cruz back would that have taken some of the pressure off the other guys? Snide

r now looks lost with no confidence. I guess we will never know.

But based on this year and last year, Cruz would have been ice cold at the same time the rest of the offense went ice cold. Not much help there.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived