Duquette: "We're still in the competition for this year."

Frobby

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is everyone's thoughts about Rajai Davis? Probably wouldn't take more than B-level prospect?

Maybe even C-level. But how does he improve the team? He's 34 and barely OPSing over 700. I'd take my chances with Nolan Reimold and Steve Pearce.

Trust me, I am not. The recent issues with Bundy have me thinking. Why have the Orioles spent so many high draft picks on pitchers over the years when their hit rate with position players had been so much higher? They've hit on Markakis, Wieters and Machado with their high draft picks. Meanwhile, all of their highly drafted pitchers have been busts except for Gausman who is still very much a work in progress. It just doesn't make sense.

It comes down to the Orioles not being able to properly develop pitchers.

And I'd argue we haven't done much with position players as well. Maybe a better track record, but we're downright awful w/ pitchers so that doesn't say much.

It comes down to the Orioles not being able to properly develop pitchers.

And I'd argue we haven't done much with position players as well. Maybe a better track record, but we're downright awful w/ pitchers so that doesn't say much.

I think they need to steer clear of using high picks on HS pitchers going forward. I think too many of these kids have arms that aren't fully developed. They're good enough to get kids out who are 16-18 years old, but throw them into the minor leagues where the pressure is ramped up and the competition is a lot better and they have to put a lot more stress on those young arms to compete. At least college pitchers have more of a track record and have spent a couple years facing a higher level of competition.

Maybe even C-level. But how does he improve the team? He's 34 and barely OPSing over 700. I'd take my chances with Nolan Reimold and Steve Pearce.

People think he could "leadoff." That he is fast. How he is better than David Lough, I'll never know.

I hate "rolling the dice" if it means completely obliterating what little this club has left in the farm system or in the way of young major league talent. And then there's the idea of Duquette's trade history....dubious at best.

Who knows which prospects will turn out to be good major leaguers. No one knows.

I hate "rolling the dice" if it means completely obliterating what little this club has left in the farm system or in the way of young major league talent. And then there's the idea of Duquette's trade history....dubious at best.

Not sure why you feel the need to slam the guy.

Would you like to go back to things, the way they were before Andy?

He said his arm was bothering him and how he had to be on the team. I don't get the Bundy issue as much myself. We have kept Rule 5 guys before and if he is hurt just put him on the DL.

The difference is that Rule 5 guys can be sent back to the minors after they spend their year on the roster. Bundy cant be sent back to the minors without being exposed to waivers.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have seen this claimed more than once on this board, but I don't get it. DD's claim to fame was that he was the man who acquired Pedro Martinez twice (for Delino Deshields, the first time). What is this history of bad trades you are referring to?

In his short time with the O's, it is mostly too early to say. Most of the guys he has brought in performed to expectations. Feldman was not a savior but he improved our rotation. Norris has been horrible this year but we got a career year out of him last year. Miller was incredible for us, and critical to winning the DET series.

The guys we gave up may or may not end up being productive MLB players, it is simply too early to tell.

So where is DD's reputation as a bad trader coming from?

I have seen this claimed more than once on this board, but I don't get it. DD's claim to fame was that he was the man who acquired Pedro Martinez twice (for Delino Deshields, the first time). What is this history of bad trades you are referring to?

In his short time with the O's, it is mostly too early to say. Most of the guys he has brought in performed to expectations. Feldman was not a savior but he improved our rotation. Norris has been horrible this year but we got a career year out of him last year. Miller was incredible for us, and critical to winning the DET series.

The guys we gave up may or may not end up being productive MLB players, it is simply too early to tell.

So where is DD's reputation as a bad trader coming from?

People who do not like the Feldman, Norris, and Miller deals. In rearview. Those folks. SSS

Archived