Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

This doesn't make much sense to me. If they sign him before he hits free agency, it's a direct result of the trade. If would have been impossible without the trade.

Free Agency is not some great mystery. He isn't signing for anything that isn't near his market value during the negotiating window.

I like the move only if Parra can get the Orioles into the playoffs. I still approve of the deal last year to get Andrew Miller. Sure both are rentals but both are big pieces to a team that is in a WIN NOW mode and minor league pitchers are a dime a dozen. I'll take the proven ML player every time.

LOL. So you only like the trade if it turns out well for us. Well, at least you are honest about it. Too bad our GM can't know how it will all play out before he pulls the trigger on a deal.

Two questions:

1) what do Davies' AAA home/road splits look like? Is it likely that his pitching line is more a product of playing half his games in Norfolk rather than his real talent level?

2) would O's fans be looking more favorably at this deal if it wasn't a mirror image of the Boston trade at last year's deadline? A lot of fans think we got burned last time around so they assume we'll get burned this time too. Not saying it won't happen, but if Rodriguez had taken a step backwards for the Red Sox instead of taking a step forwards would we be more optimistic this time around?

Why would he agree to a deal he couldn't have gotten in free agency? If they do extend it will be at free agent market costs. So, there is no difference. The trade is for 2 months.

Because he likes his experience in Baltimore, or any of a myriad of other reasons?

Again, there is a difference if he doesn't hit the market. There would be no competition they'd have to outbid.

I don't get why in this situation, ignoring context is seen as the more accurate means of evaluation.

This doesn't make much sense to me. If they sign him before he hits free agency, it's a direct result of the trade. If would have been impossible without the trade.

Who cares when you sign him? All this does is get you out of the competitive bidding process, if he's willing to forgo getting out of that process. There's no guarantee the negotiating window gets you anything at all. If he wants to test the waters he'll test the waters, unless you blow him out of the water. Very little value in the trade beyond the production over the next two months.

Free Agency is not some great mystery. He isn't signing for anything that isn't near his market value during the negotiating window.
OK. Even if you take that stance, if he signs during the negotiating window for market value, it can't be with another team. As I said before, that wouldn't have been possible without the trade.

Because he likes his experience in Baltimore, or any of a myriad of other reasons?

Again, there is a difference if he doesn't hit the market. There would be no competition they'd have to outbid.

I don't get why in this situation, ignoring context is seen as the more accurate means of evaluation.

So two months in Baltimore is going to make him throw away millions of dollars so sign below market value? The crab cakes are good, but I'm not sure they are THAT good.

Who cares when you sign him? All this does is get you out of the competitive bidding process, if he's willing to forgo getting out of that process. There's no guarantee the negotiating window gets you anything at all. If he wants to test the waters he'll test the waters, unless you blow him out of the water. Very little value in the trade beyond the production over the next two months.

I'm quite sure Dan Duquette cares when they sign him. You think he wants his only opportunity to sign an OF upgrade to be during a competitive bidding process? Context is just as important for evaluating roster building as it is in evaluating statistics.

Just wondering if I have this right - We're supposed to believe that his dramatic improvement in offense is for real, and we're supposed to believe that his dramatic decline in defense is a fluke? I'd be okay with this trade if I thought we had excellent organizational pitching depth, but we don't - not even close.

Well I disagree, even if he agrees to a deal before hitting the market, at the time of the trade you have him for 2 months. That's all. Any extension, which I see as extremely unlikely 2 months away from free agency anyway, would be paying market rates after the fact. Something that could be done just as easily in the offseason.

Well I disagree, even if he agrees to a deal before hitting the market, at the time of the trade you have him for 2 months. That's all. Any extension, which I see as extremely unlikely 2 months away from free agency anyway, would be paying market rates after the fact. Something that could be done just as easily in the offseason.
Sigh. You don't think a big market team would go over market value to pull him away from the O's in the offseason? I certainly do, which would mean signing him to a market rates wouldn't be done just as easily in the offseason.