Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion. Now, Dan. Parra has been in the league for 9 years. He's accrued 4.6 DWAR over the course of those 9 years, with 4 of those 4.6 wins coming in one season. He played Stellar D once in his career. He's not a stellar defender. People whined about De Aza playing Defense but he's also been better than Parra this year. Snider was flamed for no power, Parra has no power. This isn't a move that puts a team over the top.

.189 ISO this year, but .128 on his career. I'm not saying I like the trade, but he has definitely shown pop this season. Fly ball rate is up and ground balls are down. The guy is driving the ball.

The guy has a .880 OPS right now. He's an upgrade, period. His defense in LF will not matter one iota in regards to the team making the playoffs. His offense might. It might not!

But it might!

You see?

We need more, though. And then this looks better.

I hope they won't mortgage the future for a chance at sneaking into the second wild card. This is not a very good team. Even with Parra and another bat, this team's chances are not good.

The guy has a .880 OPS right now. He's an upgrade, period. His defense in LF will not matter one iota in regards to the team making the playoffs. His offense might. It might not!

But it might!

You see?

We need more, though. And then this looks better.

He is not guaranteed to be an upgrade. Nolan's career numbers are better, Snider's are very similar.

You can't expect him to sustain a 370 BABIP.

He's definitely an improvement, but I would rather have Davies than 2 months of Parra. Don't like this trade at all.

I agreed 100%. Another young pitcher gone for a rental. The Orioles have enough free agents next year. What about Alvarez? I just hate this move.

Parra's lifetime against lefties:

236 299 305 604 ops

This year, he only has 53 at bats against lefties which means that Milwaukee might have been sitting him regularly against lefties. He's 28 and having a career year, maybe something clicked for him but most probably due for a regression. I think I've made it plain about how I feel about rentals but this guy might come in and not even improve the club.

Sooo, we can still expect Reimold to play against lefties then. And Pearce when he comes back. (before you say that's terrible look at Pearce's splits.)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Gerardo Parra for Zach Davies deal is official. Medicals all cleared. Party on, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> fans.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">July 31, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I agreed 100%. Another young pitcher gone for a rental. The Orioles have enough free agents next year. What about Alvarez? I just hate this move.

I was listening to 105.7 this morning talking about Alvarez, and it sounded like the guy was reading out of Drungo's handbook.

Odds that a 27 year old in the minors, is still there for a very good reason, if they could play, normally they would have already been promoted.

He is not guaranteed to be an upgrade. Nolan's career numbers are better, Snider's are very similar.

You can't expect him to sustain a 370 BABIP.

All he's gotta do is sustain it for a couple more months! But yeah, I'm hoping more than expecting. But if he does, big time upgrade.

I hope they won't mortgage the future for a chance at sneaking into the second wild card. This is not a very good team. Even with Parra and another bat, this team's chances are not good.

Neither the Giants nor the Royals were world beaters in the regular season last year. Nor the Cardinals before that. All wild card winners and World Series teams. Trust in the playoff power of small sample size.

Sooo, we can still expect Reimold to play against lefties then. And Pearce when he comes back. (before you say that's terrible look at Pearce's splits.)

So, we traded for a rental platoon player? Geez, not happy. I'd rather let Nolan sink or swim so that we can finally make a decision on him.

Neither the Giants nor the Royals were world beaters in the regular season last year. Nor the Cardinals before that. All wild card winners and World Series teams. Trust in the playoff power of small sample size.

And the A's traded for Jon Lester and didn't make it past Day 1.