Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

Neither the Giants nor the Royals were world beaters in the regular season last year. Nor the Cardinals before that. All wild card winners and World Series teams. Trust in the playoff power of small sample size.

As with most sports, it really only matter how well you are playing when you make the playoffs.

I'm going to laugh when the Jays don't make the playoffs. How many big moves have they made the last 3-4 seasons and every single year the media get behind them. Such linear thinking doesn't always pan out and if they don't win now, they will look very foolish in a couple years.

People are always unhappy with any move this team makes. We aren't going to give up Gausman, so what do people expect? I would rather win right now than worry about a guy who tops out at 91-92 on his heater. The Os window for success is dwindling because we don't spend money like bigger markets do. Fine with me. But when the tide is high....I am riding this wave until the end. Go Birds!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, we traded for a rental platoon player? Geez, not happy. I'd rather let Nolan sink or swim so that we can finally make a decision on him.

Probably not, in practice. I expect Parmalee to be the odd man out with Davis back to 1B, Parra in RF and the Snider/Reimold platoon in LF.

But he grades out positively this year in Right Field, which you didn't happen to mention.

I didn't mention it because I took a quick peek at his DWAR. He hasn't had a positive DWAR in 3 years.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Parra has an .884 OPS this year. We gave up a pitcher (and a good one) who is 6'0" and 150 lbs and has below average velocity and above average command. I get that Davies is a good prospect, but that is the price of doing business.

Parra should bat 2nd. Machado, Parra, Jones, Davis, Wieters, Parades, Hardy, Schoop, Snider/Reimold.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I’d like to see him get back to basics and start going to LF more and let the power come naturally.   Somewhere along the line I think he started selling out for more power and it led to a lot of bad habits.  The exaggerated leg kick, opening up to soon,  rolling over pitches and pull grounders to 2B, not covering the plate, etc. There is 2023 video of him employing a more normal leg lift or none at all, being more direct to the pitcher, and driving a lot of balls to LF.   I haven’t seen that hitter this year in MLB or at Norfolk.   He changed his stance a little and modified the leg kick since he went down.  Hopefully, he stops trying to be Gunnar Henderson and gets back to being Jackson Holliday.
    • Right.  I don’t think the Orioles are clamoring for him at the moment.  
    • Since Driveline, I've changed to thinking of 100 IP/season as a length pitcher cutoff.     A bunch get babied there. Irvin's ERA shines if you use the Past 1 Calendar Years split on FG. Current Orioles are 4th, 10th, 12th and 24th by that measure with Grayson the laggard about to get to flush his Memorial Day meltdown from 2023.
    • Jackson’s had a tough week but overall his metrics still look very strong across the board. He has only shown two real weaknesses in AAA.  First, a 33% whiff rate against pitches 95 mph or higher vs AAA average of 26%. Second, a 50% ground ball rate vs  AAA average of 43%. I think Elias will prioritize Holliday looking good against high velocity as a prerequisite for a call-up.
    • He seems like a guy who will get a cup of coffee some time.  
    • Maybe.  I’m pretty sure it won’t be the Orioles though.  
    • That was a truly awful call.  As I’ve mentioned a few times, umps are actually pretty good (97% accurate) at calling true strikes as strikes.  So, it’s particularly brutal when an ump misses one by so much.   Still, Kremer’s job after that was to get a lousy hitter out with a 1-2 count.  Not to throw a non-competitive 1-2 ball and then groove a pitch for a homer.  I was furious with Diaz at the time but the more I thought about it, that was still very poor by Kremer in that situation.  Can’t lose focus like that.    
  • Popular Contributors