Orioles trade Davies for Parra. Your verdict?

PaulFolk

Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Davies for Parra trade?

• I approve. A small price to pay to fix the O's OF hole with a quality veteran.
    • I disapprove. The O's gave up up a pitching prospect for a rental who won't move the needle.

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm ready baby!

spacecatparty.gif

I have no idea what is going on in this GIF but I like it.

The questions regarding his defense seems to be a little overrated. The guy did win 2 gold gloves.

http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2015/7/23/9019421/gerardo-parra-brewers-defense-mlb-trade-deadline

I'm not convinced he is a difference maker. I know a lot of people are saying if we add Cespedes we are going to be losers for the "next decade." I don't know if I agree with that. We do have Machado and Jones back for sure next year along with some promissing players like Schoop and Gausman. I do think we need to make a run this year so count me in on the Cespedes train.

I think Davies was a good candidate for 5th starter next year, but the team still has a lot of potential back-end starters at AA and AAA--Wright, Wilson, McFarland (not my top candidate!), Gunkel, Miranda. So I think Duquette dealt from the only part of the farm system that has any depth.

Parra is having a career year, but he could keep on having a career year for the rest of the season. He's certainly as locked in right now as he'll ever be.

The idea that he's barely an upgrade over Travis Snider is ridiculous. His WAR numbers are being held down by defensive WAR, which is notoriously volatile from season to season. Travis Snider draws an occasional walk but is otherwise useless with the bat. And if you really like Travis Snider, you can keep playing him, move Chris Davis to first base, and dump Chris Parmelee. Surely nobody believes that Parra isn't a meaningful upgrade over Chris Parmelee.

I hate when people say "Well, you are only so many games from a wildcard, so you have to go for it, right?". To me the answer there is and should be "it depends". The O's are just 2 games back of that last wild card spot, BUT:

1.) Toronto is 2 out and just Price and Tulo.

2.) Tampa Bay is 2 out

3.) The Rangers are 4 out and just added Hamels

4.) The Tigers are selling, but are just 3.5 out

There is always a chance that the Astros or Angels fade, but those teams have been upgraded too. I think the Orioles could sneak in to a one game playoff and need to win that game to really make the playoffs.

This team doesn't seem good enough to me, but if they land someone like Cespedes now, I might change my mind. Just don't go half in like last year and deal away good players from a depleted system. Go big or go home.

Well said. If you're going knee deep in the water might as well jump through the waterfall. No half in nonsense.

Parra's lifetime against lefties:

236 299 305 604 ops

This year, he only has 53 at bats against lefties which means that Milwaukee might have been sitting him regularly against lefties. He's 28 and having a career year, maybe something clicked for him but most probably due for a regression. I think I've made it plain about how I feel about rentals but this guy might come in and not even improve the club.

Sigh. Fine. The reason it is meaningless is because Parra will be worth like a billion more wins than Snider with the bat, therefore, if he manages to not catch that 1 ball in LF that is the difference between Snider and Parra's current dWAR, it should even out nicely.

Bottom line, I don't regard LF defense as a thing, really. Especially when we're talking about a small sample from a guy who is usually stellar with the glove, and especially when that player is white hot at the plate, and especially when we still have Lough as a defensive replacement in the late innings, and especially because 60 games of LF defense is largely not going to make a damn bit of difference.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion. Now, Dan. Parra has been in the league for 9 years. He's accrued 4.6 DWAR over the course of those 9 years, with 4 of those 4.6 wins coming in one season. He played Stellar D once in his career. He's not a stellar defender. People whined about De Aza playing Defense but he's also been better than Parra this year. Snider was flamed for no power, Parra has no power. This isn't a move that puts a team over the top.

Parra's lifetime against lefties:

236 299 305 604 ops

This year, he only has 53 at bats against lefties which means that Milwaukee might have been sitting him regularly against lefties. He's 28 and having a career year, maybe something clicked for him but most probably due for a regression. I think I've made it plain about how I feel about rentals but this guy might come in and not even improve the club.

He had 6.1 WAR in 2013, he's got 2.1 WAR now. I'd argue he's already had his career year.