Darren O'Day...

EagleOriole

As confused as ever as to whether or not we try to sign O'Day long term...looking for opinions on him. I think the money spent on him could be spent bolstering our offense in the off-season and we have plenty of young guys to fill roles. On the other hand he is so good in the 8th inning.

With Brach, Givens, Roe, Wright, and a plethora of others looking good in the minors, what do the OH think about his future?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I firmly believe the Orioles should make an offer to Darren O'Day. He will not be easily replaced. Whether he chases the most money or not, we'll have to see. If he does, he's probably gone. But the Orioles should make a fair offer.

I go 3 yr, $24 mil. And when Britton's time comes, assuming he maintains his consistency, I offer him something similar.

With Britton and O'Day locking down the back end, the young pitchers can fill in the rest of the bullpen, providing the depth you're really looking for in today's game.

I firmly believe the Orioles should make an offer to Darren O'Day. He will not be easily replaced. Whether he chases the most money or not, we'll have to see. If he does, he's probably gone. But the Orioles should make a fair offer.

I go 3 yr, $24 mil. And when Britton's time comes, assuming he maintains his consistency, I offer him something similar.

3/24 won't get the job done with Britton. Heck the AAV will be a pay cut from what he will make in arbitration.

I am of three minds. Part of me says make a QO and hope he turns it down. It would be a crazy amount of money for a 1 yr contract, but it would also be crazy of O'Day to give up his best chance at a big payday. Part of me says make him an offer for a team friendly 3 year deal. Part of me says to look at it rationally and go cheap in the bullpen while saving every nickel for Manny and either CD or Upton. Good case to be made for all three options.

I know there are posters here that would challenge spending money on the bullpen. If the Orioles invest $20 mil in their bullpen, that's the price of one good FA full time starter. Consider:

All things being equal, you should be spending 50% on runs scored and 50% on runs saved. The 50% on runs saved, the majority of that will be spent on the pitching staff. So we'll go with 45% spread out among typically 12 pitchers on the OD roster.

The Orioles have a theoretical budget of $120 mil, so that's $54 mil to spend on pitching. AL starting pitching averages 5.9 IP per game; we'll round that up to 6 IP. The last third of the game goes to the bullpen. So the bullpen in total should cost 1/3 of the pitching.

One third of $54 million is $18 mil. Subtracting the five OD starters, that's $18 mil to spread among 7 pitchers. That should be enough for two-three good contracts spent on relievers.

Yes, it's simple math. But if you take money away from one area, you invest it in another. The Orioles aren't spending that much on their starting rotation.

2016 commitments

Ubaldo Jimenez - 13 mil

Chris Tillman - 4.32 + arb

Miguel Gonzalez - 3.27 + arb

Kevin Gausman - pre arb

Dylan Bundy - pre arb

Wright, Wilson, etc - pre arb

If that's what we're expecting to go with, then the team has plenty left to spend on the bullpen. Go the KC/NYY route, lock down the last three innings. Pay O'Day.

As confused as ever as to whether or not we try to sign O'Day long term...looking for opinions on him. I think the money spent on him could be spent bolstering our offense in the off-season and we have plenty of young guys to fill roles. On the other hand he is so good in the 8th inning.

With Brach, Givens, Roe, Wright, and a plethora of others looking good in the minors, what do the OH think about his future?

Depends on the market and there will be NO home team discounts , so IMHO he's just going to demand more $$$ then it will be worth and somebody will actually pay it too.

I say it was nice knowing ya spend it some where else.

I know there are posters here that would challenge spending money on the bullpen. If the Orioles invest $20 mil in their bullpen, that's the price of one good FA full time starter. Consider:

All things being equal, you should be spending 50% on runs scored and 50% on runs saved. The 50% on runs saved, the majority of that will be spent on the pitching staff. So we'll go with 45% spread out among typically 12 pitchers on the OD roster.

The Orioles have a theoretical budget of $120 mil, so that's $54 mil to spend on pitching. AL starting pitching averages 5.9 IP per game; we'll round that up to 6 IP. The last third of the game goes to the bullpen. So the bullpen in total should cost 1/3 of the pitching.

One third of $54 million is $18 mil. Subtracting the five OD starters, that's $18 mil to spread among 7 pitchers. That should be enough for two-three good contracts spent on relievers.

Yes, it's simple math. But if you take money away from one area, you invest it in another. The Orioles aren't spending that much on their starting rotation.

2016 commitments

Ubaldo Jimenez - 13 mil

Kevin Gausman - pre arb

Dylan Bundy - pre arb

If that's what we're expecting to go with, then the team has plenty left to spend on the bullpen. Go the KC/NYY route, lock down the last three innings. Pay O'Day.

Bundy will not be a member of the starting rotation next year. If he is healthy and still with the team he will be in the bullpen.

The logic of not spending on the bullpen is simple.

Relievers are a more volatile commodity then starting pitchers or position players.

The difference between an elite performer and a viable major leaguer is small when you consider the usage (~70 innings).

The O's current pen is full of buy low candidates, scrap heap acquisitions and failed starters.

This is a really tough decision. I think they have to make him some kind of a fair offer, but I feel like the current regime will not want to pay big money for a reliever. I agree with that thought process, but I absolutely love O'Day. He's been fantastic for us and seems to have a great attitude. I think he would want to stay an Oriole, but I imagine he is going to have some serious offers. Three years may be a year too much, but I am pretty sure that's what it would take.

Offer him 3/21m and I think he signs before he goes FA like Hardy did. Having Britton and O'Day at the back for the pen next year is important to keep winning. It gives Givens a year to be able to establish himself as a force in the majors.

I have no problem with a 3 year contract for ages 33-35 for Darren. For the most part he is a one inning pitcher and should maintain his effectiveness that long.

2016 commitments

Ubaldo Jimenez - 13 mil

Kevin Gausman - pre arb

Dylan Bundy - pre arb

Good post. We have to pay our "TOP" end talent. DD can always find guys to fill out the pen on the cheap. I like Wilson in the rotation next year. If we could ever get lucky and have Bundy stay healthy, than that would be another cheap rotation arm.

Have to let him walk. We've got huge holes and as good as O'Day has been, he's still just a reliever entering his middle thirties. We've got some depth at bullpen. It's way more important to make sure we don't have all of Paredes, Alvarez, Reimold, Snider, Lough, Walker and Mancini collectively manning the outfield corners, first base, and DH.

Offer him 3/21m and I think he signs before he goes FA like Hardy did. Having Britton and O'Day at the back for the pen next year is important to keep winning. It gives Givens a year to be able to establish himself as a force in the majors.

I have no problem with a 3 year contract for ages 33-35 for Darren. For the most part he is a one inning pitcher and should maintain his effectiveness that long.

You could sign O'Day to 3/21M with the idea of making him closer when they trade Britton in winter 2016.

It makes sense to let O'Day walk. The one thing our organization is rich in right now is bullpen talent on the big league roster and in the high minors.

The only reason I think he may be signed is because of possible fan backlash of letting all four guys (Davis, Wieters, Chen, and O'Day) go to free agency. O'Day will be the cheapest guy to keep so for an organization that likes to play it cheap, he's the safe bet for them to sign.

As far as the player whose contributions will be hardest to replace, it's definitely Chris Davis. He's the guy they should try to keep, if they keep anyone. But if we are going to spend big money like that I rather it be on Justin Upton or Jason Heyward who will likely only cost marginally more if they cost more at all.

Archived