Opposing hitters are hitting .300 and .317 against Gausmann and Gonzalez on 0-2 counts this year

Rojo13

Just saw the stat on the MASN broadcast tonight. How in the world can that be the case? What does it mean?

In Gausmman's last start, I clearly thought to myself, "He doesn't have an out pitch." So i can kind of see it with him. But Gonzalez is a crafty, control guy. How could people be hitting that high against him on 0-2? I wonder how many at bats it is. If I was the Os and saw that stat, I get the analytics guys to look at pitch selection. They may want to change it.

Just saw the stat on the MASN broadcast tonight. How in the world can that be the case? What does it mean?

In Gausmman's last start, I clearly thought to myself, "He doesn't have an out pitch." So i can kind of see it with him. But Gonzalez is a crafty, control guy. How could people be hitting that high against him on 0-2? I wonder how many at bats it is. If I was the Os and saw that stat, I get the analytics guys to look at pitch selection. They may want to change it.

Your headline says Chen but your text mentions Gonzalez. Need to clarify...

The sample sizes are pretty small here, 41 at-bats for Gonzalez and 20 for Gausman. Hitters are hitting .226 when Gonzalez starts them at 0-2 over 119 at-bats, meaning that in the 78 at-bats where Gonzalez's 0-2 pitch was a ball, hitters recorded hits 11 times for a .141 batting average.

I don't know that it is worth reading much into it. Last year hitters were 6-53 (.113 average) against Gonzalez on 0-2 counts.

Archived