Honestly very surprised it took this long for us to get no-hit. With our tendencies to strike out in

BamaOsFan

Keep on grinding O's!

How he won

Iwakuma excelled against an overeager Orioles team. He threw his lowest percentage of pitches in the strike zone in his career (41 percent, 11 percentage points below his season average entering the day) and got his second-highest percentage of “chases” this season (swings against pitches out of the zone, also 41 percent).

Six of Iwakuma’s seven strikeouts came against pitches out of the strike zone.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/108403/iwakuma-in-the-right-place-to-throw-a-no-hitter

I'm OK with relating lack of plate discipline yesterday to the no-hitter. That's a much different issue from our strikeout rate over the season. However, I'd still say that team BA is the most relevant stat to determining the likelihood that a team will fall victim to a no-hitter.

Everything that's wrong with the O's offensive approach and mentality:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jones: "He threw a lot of strikes. Can’t cry about it." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">August 12, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uh, no, he didn't. Unless by 'strikes' you mean the one's everyone flailed at. Keep grinding!

Everything that's wrong with the O's offensive approach and mentality:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jones: "He threw a lot of strikes. Can’t cry about it." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">August 12, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Uh, no, he didn't. Unless by 'strikes' you mean the one's everyone flailed at. Keep grinding!

Pretty much says it all:

David Schoenfield

Great Hisashi Iwakuma stat from today: Threw only 40.5% of his pitches in the strike zone, lowest rate of any of his career starts.

Gausman's game yesterday is/was the complete antithesis of the O.P.'s theory about the Orioles "striking out in bunches" leading to yesterday's no-hitter.

It's obviously an extremely small simple size, but it is a glaring contrast/coincidence.

Other than pissing all over the team every chance that you get and telling everybody how right you were when the team is struggling, and conveniently disappearing when the team is playing well/winning, what's your point of being here at all in the first place?

Aside from a 3 week stretch in June, at what point has this team played consistently well? In addition, multiple players have been DFA, Jason Garcia is still taking up a roster spot and the corner outfield has been embarrassing. I complain a lot b/c as a fan I am extremely disappointed that the front office wasted an opportunity to win this year. In the AL East these opportunities are rare especially when you take into consideration the the team is too cheap to pay for quality free agents and doesn't develop players well. There is no excuse for not making a serious effort to win this year.

OFF-NY,

Some posters are here are great and a valuable asset to the community.

Some posters are the exact opposite and there just isn't anything else that can be said.

You are neither

Gausman's game yesterday is/was the complete antithesis of the O.P.'s theory about the Orioles "striking out in bunches" leading to yesterday's no-hitter.

It's obviously an extremely small simple size, but it is a glaring contrast/coincidence.

Other than pissing all over the team every chance that you get and telling everybody how right you were when the team is struggling, and conveniently disappearing when the team is playing well/winning, what's your point of being here at all in the first place?

You're not making sense not surprisingly. You bring up the strike outs and when it is pointed out the 7 K's is nothing special you talk about plate discipline. Which is it? I know you won't understand this but P/PA is a good indicator of plate discipline. An average of four or better is considered very good. Yesterday the O's averaged 4 P/PA.

I didn't bring up strikeouts. I said that the team has poor plate discipline, which they do.

&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=&league=mlb&pnf=&zlpo=

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/location.php?pitchSel=547874&game=gid_2015_08_12_balmlb_seamlb_1/&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=&league=mlb&pnf=&zlpo=

Here is Iwakuma's pitch chart from last night. Looking at it, I see some balls the O's hit that were out of the strike zone, but it doesn't seem like they were far off. The O's hit three pitches that were just below the strike zone, but there were three called strikes that were lower than any of those, so they may have felt compelled to swing.

&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=&league=mlb&pnf=&zlpo=

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/location.php?pitchSel=547874&game=gid_2015_08_12_balmlb_seamlb_1/&batterX=&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=&league=mlb&pnf=&zlpo=

Here is Iwakuma's pitch chart from last night. Looking at it, I see some balls the O's hit that were out of the strike zone, but it doesn't seem like they were far off. The O's hit three pitches that were just below the strike zone, but there were three called strikes that were lower than any of those, so they may have felt compelled to swing.

Thank you, Frank.

This explains the situation beyond the face value.

Archived