Honestly very surprised it took this long for us to get no-hit. With our tendencies to strike out in

BamaOsFan

bunches, our lack of plate discipline and the absence of any contact hitters it was bound to happen.

The way this team responds this weekend will be very telling. Looking for anything positive.

If we remain a 500 club heading into roster expansion, I hope we play Walker, Alverez and others until season end.

I wonder if Toronto still wants DD? :rolleyes:

bunches, our lack of plate discipline and the absence of any contact hitters it was bound to happen.

The way this team responds this weekend will be very telling. Looking for anything positive.

If we remain a 500 club heading into roster expansion, I hope we play Walker, Alverez and others until season end.

Neither one of those guys has earned the playing time IMO. If either of them could play and was a starting caliber player, they would have been up a long time ago IMO.

Lets put it this way, DD and Buck think that Snider, Lough, Parmelee, Reimold and company were better options to help us win....what does that tell ya

I don't think our tendency to strike out has anything to do with being no-hit. The team BA, which is the most relevant stat to the probability of being no-hit, is 5th best in the league. Also, we only struck out 7 times in today's game.

You complain about a lack of plate discipline then you advocate promoting Alverez?

I don't think our tendency to strike out has anything to do with being no-hit. The team BA, which is the most relevant stat to the probability of being no-hit, is 5th best in the league. Also, we only struck out 7 times in today's game.
Yep. Our guy struck out 8. K's got nothing to do with it. Iwakuma was on his game. He could have no hit almost any team to day. Just not the BJ's.

Yep. Our guy struck out 8. K's got nothing to do with it. Iwakuma was on his game. He could have no hit almost any team to day. Just not the BJ's.

Strikeouts and plate discipline have nothing to do with it? Really?

o

Yesterday, Kevin Gausman set a career-high in strikeouts in only 3.67 innings. That is also when he gave up all 3 runs.

After that, he retired 10 out of the final 11 batters that he faced without striking out anybody.

Really. How he got the other 20 outs is more the matter.

Iwakuma only threw 40.5% of his pitches in the strike zone. It's not just about strike outs it's about having plate discipline.

Wailing at pitches out of the strike zone had a lot to do with it. We didn't come close to getting a base hit yesterday. We didn't square up any balls. Pretty telling.

Exactly!!! This has been a problem for a while

o

Yesterday, Kevin Gausman set a career-high in strikeouts in only 3.67 innings. That is also when he gave up all 3 runs.

After that, he retired 10 out of the final 11 batters that he faced without striking out anybody.

What's your point? My point is that the Orioles don't have good plate discipline and pitchers don't need to throw strikes to get them out. Yesterday Iwakuma only threw 405% of his pitches for strikes. Why are strikeouts such a celebrated stat for pitchers?

o

What's your point?

Gausman's game yesterday is/was the complete antithesis of the O.P.'s theory about the Orioles "striking out in bunches" leading to yesterday's no-hitter.

It's obviously an extremely small simple size, but it is a glaring contrast/coincidence.

Other than pissing all over the team every chance that you get and telling everybody how right you were when the team is struggling, and conveniently disappearing when the team is playing well/winning, what's your point of being here at all in the first place?

Gausman's game yesterday is/was the complete antithesis of the O.P.'s theory about the Orioles "striking out in bunches" leading to yesterday's no-hitter.

It's obviously an extremely small simple size, but it is a glaring contrast/coincidence.

Other than pissing all over the team every chance that you get and telling everybody how right you were when the team is struggling, and conveniently disappearing when the team is playing well/winning, what's your point of being here at all in the first place?

OFF-NY,

Some posters are here are great and a valuable asset to the community.

Some posters are the exact opposite and there just isn't anything else that can be said.

Iwakuma only threw 40.5% of his pitches in the strike zone. It's not just about strike outs it's about having plate discipline.

Exactly!!! This has been a problem for a while

What's your point? My point is that the Orioles don't have good plate discipline and pitchers don't need to throw strikes to get them out. Yesterday Iwakuma only threw 405% of his pitches for strikes. Why are strikeouts such a celebrated stat for pitchers?

You're not making sense not surprisingly. You bring up the strike outs and when it is pointed out the 7 K's is nothing special you talk about plate discipline. Which is it? I know you won't understand this but P/PA is a good indicator of plate discipline. An average of four or better is considered very good. Yesterday the O's averaged 4 P/PA.

Archived