Lough DFA (Outrighted to Norfolk)

TonySoprano

Lough needed to go. I would have preferred to see Lake and Reimold go too. Call up Alvarez and Mancini along with Urrutia. What do we have to lose? Might as well see what they can do against major league pitching and get a read on whether they can help us next year.

As for Lough's defense...he may have elite range, but you can't be an elite defensive outfielder with a below average arm, no matter what dWAR says.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. Far too much dead money spent. And now we have more dead money. I've said this before: We could have signed Nelson Cruz with all that dead money.

Keep in mind. Regardless of how any of us feel about whether Cruz getting 4 years or not ownership matters. DD isn't spending his money.

Lough needed to go. I would have preferred to see Lake and Reimold go too. Call up Alvarez and Mancini along with Urrutia. What do we have to lose? Might as well see what they can do against major league pitching and get a read on whether they can help us next year.

As for Lough's defense...he may have elite range, but you can't be an elite defensive outfielder with a below average arm, no matter what dWAR says.

The throw the other night was the end. Palmer just ragged on it long enough for someone to say "Enough!"

Keep in mind. Regardless of how any of us feel about whether Cruz getting 4 years or not ownership matters. DD isn't spending his money.
I don't think that O's management should go on a wild spending spree. But if they want to me more than mediocre in the future, then spending money smartly has to be done. Which means resigning Nelson Cruz.

I didn't realize until the Seattle series and the way that Orioles players talked about it how integral Cruz was to the 2014 team. Not only in terms of performance, but in terms of team spirit. I realize that some people don't believe in such things as team spirit. After all, they're just baseball players and should put up uncomplaining with the whims of management. (sarcasm) Management knows better. :rolleyestf:

I don't think that O's management should go on a wild spending spree. But if they want to me more than mediocre in the future, then spending money smartly has to be done. Which means resigning Nelson Cruz.

I didn't realize until the Seattle series and the way that Orioles players talked about it how integral Cruz was to the 2014 team. Not only in terms of performance, but in terms of team spirit. I realize that some people don't believe in such things as team spirit. After all, they're just baseball players and should put up uncomplaining with the whims of management. (sarcasm) Management knows better. :rolleyestf:

Schoop will have that covered starting in 2016.

A few years ago, when the O's started to become competitive, I told myself, "they're winning in spite of management." Later, I modified this view, particularly after the 2014 season and decided that management (DD & C.) played an important part. This season has led me to revert to my original view: The O's will achieve in spite of, not because of, management's whims.

He doesn't have a below average arm. He made a garbage throw on Wednesday, but his arm is not below average by any statistical measure.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Duq on replacing Cruz/Markakis w Snider/Young/DeAza/Lough: "We thought we had some capable players to do the job, but it didn’t work out.”</p>— Dan Connolly (@danconnollysun) <a href="

">August 14, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived