Encouraging game tonight

JayThomas

Still too much swing and miss, for sure, but ...

Givens looks like the real deal ...

Brach looks like the real deal ...

Britton got screwed ...

... those three will be back next year ...

Garcia looked like he might have his nerves under control ... wasn't overthrowing ... great movement ...

Matusz looked good, and has for a few games now ...

Adam, Chris, and Manny went yard ...

Disciplined at-bats by Lake (I like his at-bats the other day too except for the last one) ...

we pulled out an extra inning game by coming back from 4 down ...

We're 1 back of the WC in the loss column ...

I'm going to sleep contented.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bullpen is going to be a major strength for this team for many years to come. I doubt Buck will let DOD go anywhere else, but even if we don't re-sign him I still have plenty of faith in the future of the pen. It's going to be home grown and awesome.

Lake is a project. But has potential. Right now he just doesn't have a role unless facing LHP. We're only facing 1 LHP in the next 10 games. I'd like to see DD do some roster juggling to keep the pen fresh. Like sending Lake down for Drake or Rondon. We won't need a RH bat to DH/LF again until next friday. I'd call up Walker for the game.

Lots of positives from the game tonight. The bullpen was huge again. But we have go to get more from our starting pitching.

This time of year, all wins are encouraging. But I'm disappointed that due to Ubaldo's short start and Britton's blown save, we had to use virtually our entire bullpen. I'm glad we pulled it out.

Yeah, hate to be a Debbie Downer, but this W would've been a lot more encouraging if the A's hadn't gotten those lucky bounces in the 9th, and gone down quietly for a 6-4 O's win.

And I fully expect them to have a nice homestand, even with the streaking Mets coming to town - they're an awful road team, just like the Birds. But I also expect the O's to give back whatever progress they make over the next week or so once they hit the road again. Having watched these guys for 4-plus months, how could a reasonable observer expect anything else?

Britton's inning was really tough to watch. Even the base hit to RF was right where the 2B normally plays. But he pitched well - just wasn't his night.

I am actually not encouraged when all of the Orioles runs are generated by Jones, Machado, and Davis home runs. We need contributions from other guys.

Parra hit the ball hard - that was encouraging. Schoop hit the ball well and drew a walk, very encouraging. Junior Lake had like a 13 pitch at bat - that encouraged me (though he struck out).

Britton's inning was really tough to watch. Even the base hit to RF was right where the 2B normally plays. But he pitched well - just wasn't his night.

I am actually not encouraged when all of the Orioles runs are generated by Jones, Machado, and Davis home runs. We need contributions from other guys.

Parra hit the ball hard - that was encouraging. Schoop hit the ball well and drew a walk, very encouraging. Junior Lake had like a 13 pitch at bat - that encouraged me (though he struck out).

Junior also had a great AB in extra innings when he worked the count to 3-2 and took a pitch that looked off the plate. Called a strikeout but appeared to be a good take. Got in the umps face but avoided ejection.

I agree, though, every time the bottom four guys came up it just seemed like automatic outs, especially with Schoop hitting 5th. Hard to see the bottom of the order producing runs right now.

Junior also had a great AB in extra innings when he worked the count to 3-2 and took a pitch that looked off the plate. Called a strikeout but appeared to be a good take. Got in the umps face but avoided ejection.

I agree, though, every time the bottom four guys came up it just seemed like automatic outs, especially with Schoop hitting 5th. Hard to see the bottom of the order producing runs right now.

Actually Reimold looked better last night in the DH role. Lake had some good at-bats and I am not worried about Joseph (got the 2B in the 13th). Hardy should be batting 9th, not 6th. I know that he is a veteran and I know he is not moving, but he has no power left right now. If Wieters can make it back in the next couple of days I would really like to see Clevenger as the DH against RH pitching, so this would be my line-up:

3B Machado, RF Parra, CF Jones, 1B Davis, C/DH Wieters, 2B Schoop, DH/C Clevenger/Joseph, SS Hardy, LF Urrieta/Reimold

We can send Lake back down until Sept. 1 to get some playing time and at-bats. Rest Hardy about every fourth game.

Despite how miserable the season has been, we're in position to jump at a playoff spot if some guys will start playing as they're capable, especially the SP.

Just four seasons ago, in our 14th consecutive year of losing baseball, our record was 45-69 after 114 games. How miserable this season has been is a matter of perspective. If we'd had this record in 2012 (we were three games better), we'd have been giddy with the improvement. Coming off a trip to the ALCS, not so much.

Archived