A few impressions

Frobby

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep, and I know some people are influenced by a good arm, but I haven't been too thrilled with his defensive play overall in RF. He bobbles a lot of balls on potential close plays, doesn't take great routes, and although his arm can be strong, it's not very accurate.

Now, if the Orioles can keep him around for something like 3/21 then I might be interested, but if he's looking at Markakis money let someone else do that.

Hypothetically, Parra, Fowler, Cespedes, Span, Upton, and Heyward, all get over $11M AAV this offseason. How do you go about improving the 1b and the corners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypothetically, Parra, Fowler, Cespedes, Span, Upton, and Heyward, all get over $11M AAV this offseason. How do you go about improving the 1b and the corners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much money do we hypothetically have to spend? 45 million? Fowler and Cespedes would look good in the corner OF spots. Could both Fowler and Cespedes be had for a total of $27-30 million? Then make a run at Chris Davis?

LF Fowler

3B Machado

CF Jones

1B Davis

RF Cespedes

2B Schoop

DH Paredes/Cleavenger?

SS Hardy

C Joseph

Would like to think that our clubhouse could keep a guy like Cespedes in check.

How much money do we hypothetically have to spend? 45 million? Fowler and Cespedes would look good in the corner OF spots. Could both Fowler and Cespedes be had for a total of $27-30 million? Then make a run at Chris Davis?

LF Fowler

3B Machado

CF Jones

1B Davis

RF Cespedes

2B Schoop

DH Paredes/Cleavenger?

SS Hardy

C Joseph

Would like to think that our clubhouse could keep a guy like Cespedes in check.

I would think that three bats is going to be pretty rich for us this offseason, especially three premier guys like that. Recall we'll also likely have to bring in a reliever or two (especially a lefty if we let Matusz walk), and we'll likely decide to bring in another marginal starter to create some competition for the fifth spot (we'll have Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman, and Gonzalez, with Wright and Wilson probably the front-runners to be the fifth starter). I would bet Dan brings in a veteran to compete, too.

All that in mind, I highly doubt we sign (or re-sign, if its Davis), more than one very pricey bat. Just doesn't seem like our style. I agree, though, that Davis, Fowler, and/or Cespedes would all be great targets.

I would think that three bats is going to be pretty rich for us this offseason, especially three premier guys like that. Recall we'll also likely have to bring in a reliever or two (especially a lefty if we let Matusz walk), and we'll likely decide to bring in another marginal starter to create some competition for the fifth spot (we'll have Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman, and Gonzalez, with Wright and Wilson probably the front-runners to be the fifth starter). I would bet Dan brings in a veteran to compete, too.

All that in mind, I highly doubt we sign (or re-sign, if its Davis), more than one very pricey bat. Just doesn't seem like our style. I agree, though, that Davis, Fowler, and/or Cespedes would all be great targets.

I guess one of the bigger factors is how much money is the team looking at in arbitration raises? Could someone with more knowledge on the subject enlighten me?

Here are some impressions I have of the guys who have joined the roster this month:

Gerardo Parra is a potential nugget we may want to keep. I like his approach at the plate and I like his arm. But what I really like is his intensity in the dugout. He seems to fit right in.

Michael Givens has nasty stuff and shows a lot of poise for a young guy. He has an excellent future and I see him as a bullpen mainstay next year.

Steve Clevenger can hit. I like him as a third catcher/DH/PH a lot. Need to see a bit more of him on defense to see if he can be reliable catching 50ish games next year. But the bat will play.

Henry Urrutia hit a game winning homer tonight, and seems like a great, humble guy. But I'm not convinced yet. I still see too many lazy flies to LF on pitches he should be turning on and driving. Glad he got enough of that last one, though.

Yep I say those impressions pretty much echo mine. I'll add one thing I LIKE Parra he's a real gamer and in addition to that bat he brings some additional speed to a LEAD footed team..

I like Parra, Joseph and Givens quite a bit.

I do not think Urrutia, Clevenger, Lake, or Paredes are nuggets.

I would shell out for Davis, Parra, and Pearce this offseason.

Not sure, I agree with you on Pearce. He had a great career year for most of last season.

But, hasn't seemed like he could duplicate that again.

Clevenger is a nugget for backup catcher next season, when Matt is no longer in Oriole uniform.

I do like Parra, and hope they make a run at him and that he likes it here under Buck.

Not sure, I agree with you on Pearce. He had a great career year for most of last season.

But, hasn't seemed like he could duplicate that again.

Clevenger is a nugget for backup catcher next season, when Matt is no longer in Oriole uniform.

I do like Parra, and hope they make a run at him and that he likes it here under Buck.

I share your trepidation about relying on Pearce, but the benefit of him is that we shouldn't have to spend much to keep him. A good low cost, potential high upside candidate if he can regain some of his 2014 form.

I share your trepidation about relying on Pearce, but the benefit of him is that we shouldn't have to spend much to keep him. A good low cost, potential high upside candidate if he can regain some of his 2014 form.

I have no problem with that, if the cost is right, and it could be, invite back to ST, and see if he is able to get back to what he was.

Not saying that they're too similar, but O'Day has a K/9 of 11.49. :confused:

For his career it's 8.7/9 though. Pretty good, but not all that high. This year's K rate for O'Day is a major outlier. Givens has more of a chance to stay well above 9/9 given the fact he throws harder and has good movement on his pitches.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/Orioles">@Orioles</a> have 6 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/walkoff?src=hash">#walkoff</a> homers this season and 19 in the past 6 seasons. <a href="http://t.co/S9zFl1xp4y">pic.twitter.com/S9zFl1xp4y</a></p>— MLB Stat of the Day (@MLBStatoftheDay) <a href="

">August 20, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

For his career it's 8.7/9 though. Pretty good, but not all that high. This year's K rate for O'Day is a major outlier. Givens has more of a chance to stay well above 9/9 given the fact he throws harder and has good movement on his pitches.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">RHP <a href="https://twitter.com/DODay56">@DODay56</a> extended his season-high scoreless streak last night to 11 games (11.1IP). <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Birdland?src=hash">#Birdland</a> <a href="http://t.co/o0kIO0EDRJ">pic.twitter.com/o0kIO0EDRJ</a></p>— Baltimore Orioles (@Orioles) <a href="

">August 20, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really? I've found them to be relentlessly frustrating, with their terrible road record and gaping holes in their lineup for chunks of the season. Out of the last 4 seasons, this is probably my 3rd favorite, just ahead of another microcosm of mediocrity, the 2013 team. The 2015 team still merits an INCOMPLETE grade, though, so we'll see if they move up or down my list by October. Looking at last night's big win vs. the Mets, I'm not especially encouraged. It was great seeing them bounce back every time the Mets seemed to have the game in hand, but, as we've learned, living and dying by The Long Ball is not a prescription for post-season success.

I have to agree...this team is frustrating. I'm thrilled about the comeback last night, but first inning runs given up, and then bases loaded nobody out and not scoring a run...ugh! I dont think this club is playing up to it's abilities.

Archived