Orioles Bullpen by K/9

11.9 Givens

11.5 O'Day

10.9 Matusz - surprise

10.3 Brach

10.3 Britton

7.2 McFarland

4.6 Garcia

This is a strikeout bullpen. If Chaz Roe is added, he's at 9.1 K/9.

Thank you.

Orioles Bullpen by K/9

11.9 Givens

11.5 O'Day

10.9 Matusz - surprise

10.3 Brach

10.3 Britton

7.2 McFarland

4.6 Garcia

This is a strikeout bullpen. If Chaz Roe is added, he's at 9.1 K/9.

The strikeout ability of our bullpen is a well kept secret. Thanks for posting .

I like Parra, but that BABIP scares the Bejeezus out of me. I think he'll end up commanding $10M/year, and I can't justify that cost for the risk of him reverting to his 2014 form. If they do re-sign him, I'll understand. I'll also be very concerned that he'll pull a Steve Pearce/Nate McLouth on them.

To be clear, I think Parra is having a career year that won't be repeated. But he's only 28 and should have several solid years left in him. I think he can put up a .700 - .780 OPS and be an above average baserunner and solid defender. Slightly different skill set than Nick Markakis but making a similar overall contribution. And as I said, I like his fiery demeanor.

And by the way, I don't believe his defensive metrics. He looks solid to me in all respects.

This is my favorite Orioles team that I can remember in a long time.

Really? I've found them to be relentlessly frustrating, with their terrible road record and gaping holes in their lineup for chunks of the season. Out of the last 4 seasons, this is probably my 3rd favorite, just ahead of another microcosm of mediocrity, the 2013 team. The 2015 team still merits an INCOMPLETE grade, though, so we'll see if they move up or down my list by October. Looking at last night's big win vs. the Mets, I'm not especially encouraged. It was great seeing them bounce back every time the Mets seemed to have the game in hand, but, as we've learned, living and dying by The Long Ball is not a prescription for post-season success.

To be clear, I think Parra is having a career year that won't be repeated. But he's only 28 and should have several solid years left in him. I think he can put up a .700 - .780 OPS and be an above average baserunner and solid defender. Slightly different skill set than Nick Markakis but making a similar overall contribution. And as I said, I like his fiery demeanor.

And by the way, I don't believe his defensive metrics. He looks solid to me in all respects.

Thing is - he's going to get paid - probably 12 mil a year or so - prices are going up. Even with this season, he's got a career OPS+ of 99 - that's not good for a corner OFer. And this season's stats have clearly been BABIP aided. Does it make sense to pay him what he's likely going to get? Well, with the lack of availability of good hitters, maybe it does.

Thing is - he's going to get paid - probably 12 mil a year or so - prices are going up. Even with this season, he's got a career OPS+ of 99 - that's not good for a corner OFer. And this season's stats have clearly been BABIP aided. Does it make sense to pay him what he's likely going to get? Well, with the lack of availability of good hitters, maybe it does.

I would re-sign him to play RF for the next 4 years. I think at most he is an $11 million a year player. I would give him a 4 year 44 million dollar deal. I would take that bet that he will be between .750-.800 OPS over the course of the contract. I also think his defense outperforms the metrics. He seems to fit the clubhouse chemistry. He is a keeper.

Givens is the real deal. With he and Brach back next year I feel confident we can overcome the loss of O'Day.

Signing Davis would be huge for this organization.

We're going to pay FA prices for at least two solid players this winter if we want to remain even remotely competitive. It's just a matter of how high-end we go.

It was great seeing them bounce back every time the Mets seemed to have the game in hand, but, as we've learned, living and dying by The Long Ball is not a prescription for post-season success.

We are not going to ever play small ball. Ever. We play in Camden Yards.

We are not going to ever play small ball. Ever. We play in Camden Yards.

Which could be a big reason why we're still waiting for the first World Series game ever at OPACY. Even the powerful '96/'97 teams had some of the similar flaws as these 2010s teams, which you've pointed out so succinctly.

Which could be a big reason why we're still waiting for the first World Series game ever at OPACY. Even the powerful '96/'97 teams had some of the similar flaws as these 2010s teams, which you've pointed out so succinctly.

May well be that we never will. It really is luck in the postseason. Power can win too.

This is my favorite Orioles team that I can remember in a long time.

What a difference a few days make. The day after the deadline, and then the no-hitter, it was easy to find people who said that Duquette can take his treasonous butt to Toronto and somebody else can come in and try to fix this unholy mess.

I'd love to see a list of World Series teams whose core philosophy was small ball. And another list of World Series teams that relied primarily on power. I think since 1920 the list would be at least 10:1 in favor of power.

Archived