Starting Pitching in August (5.231 ERA, 5.811 ERA w/o Chen & Wilson)

TonySoprano

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame Wilson had to get hurt. Gonzo just hasn't been the same since his DL stint. Right now we're pretty short on internal replacement options. Davies would be getting consideration if he were still here. SP has been the weak link of this team all year. Maybe we can pick up a vet.

Can't say we didn't try. Gausman 4th overall pick. Matusz literally the first pitcher taken in the draft. Ubaldo was given the biggest contract in team history. Tillman was acquired after trading our ace.

Lack of investment isn't the problem. Something is going on with our organization when it comes to starting pitching. I don't know what it is. It makes no sense. I don't like it. It's been happening for years. And it blows.

Can't say we didn't try. Gausman 4th overall pick. Matusz literally the first pitcher taken in the draft. Ubaldo was given the biggest contract in team history. Tillman was acquired after trading our ace.

Lack of investment isn't the problem. Something is going on with our organization when it comes to starting pitching. I don't know what it is. It makes no sense. I don't like it. It's been happening for years. And it blows.

Adam Jones was the largest in team history. Ubaldo is the largest pitching contract in orioles history

Ubaldo in August 4 GS, 22.2 IP, 20 ER, 7.964

Gonzalez: 4 GS, 22 IP, 15 ER, 6.046 ERA

Gausman, 4 GS, 25.2 IP, 14 ER, 4.908 ERA

Chen, 3 GS, 18.1 IP, 6 ER, 2.946 ERA

Tillman, 2 GS, 9.1 IP. 7 ER, 6.752 ERA

Wilson, 1 GS, 7.2 IP, 2 ER, 2.350 ERA

Totals 18 GS, 105.2 IP. 64 ER, 5,451 ERA 5.84 innings/start

These are statistics that must improve or we have no chance of making the playoffs.

One reason to be be optimistic is that while the stats look horrible, odds are there is room for at least modest improvement and it would not require some great epiphany by those guys either. I am not going to argue that the group of them is great, but they are not that bad collectively either. I expect to see some improvement, hopefully its enough.

People have threads about firing the hitting coach when the offense slumps. I have not seen one on the pitching coach. I don;t want him fired because it is the pitchers who have not performed. Norris was a disaster. Tillman has not been that good. Gonzo has been terrible lately. Ubaldo is better this year but that is not saying much. Chen has been good. Wallace was a genius last year and not as great this year. Duquette was a great GM a few years back but this year not so much. The coaches can only do so much but the players have to perform.

People have threads about firing the hitting coach when the offense slumps. I have not seen one on the pitching coach. I don;t want him fired because it is the pitchers who have not performed. Norris was a disaster. Tillman has not been that good. Gonzo has been terrible lately. Ubaldo is better this year but that is not saying much. Chen has been good. Wallace was a genius last year and not as great this year. Duquette was a great GM a few years back but this year not so much. The coaches can only do so much but the players have to perform.

You could be the hitting coach and it would matter little. Pitching coaches slightly more.

You could be the hitting coach and it would matter little. Pitching coaches slightly more.

MLBN had a piece on Nats SP Max Scherzer. His delivery was all screwed up after his no hitter so he finally sat down and watched some video and noticed his arm slot was way off. So he threw a ball against a wall 10,000 times until his arm slot became natural and consistent. It seems to have helped. Changes in performance can usually be traced back to mechanics.

Agreed. Scott Coolbaugh will be fired at the end of the year. I will be the new hitting coach. We all in trouble now.

I have not hard much about Rick Peterson lately. I thought he was a pitching guru and books about pitching and his theories.

John Maine liked him. I think he was traded for Kris Benson and his wife.

Rick Peterson was my first pitching coach in New York and he shaped me as both a pitcher and as an individual. I learned a lot from him, not just about pitching mechanics, but also about the mental aspect of baseball. Of course that helped me out a lot with pitching, but more importantly, it helped me in life. Everything is a mental game, it’s how you prepare for things and how you deal with stuff thrown in your path. It’s really given me a better outlook on life.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2015/04/where-are-they-now-catching-up-with-john-maine.html/

Agreed. Scott Coolbaugh will be fired at the end of the year. I will be the new hitting coach. We all in trouble now.

I have not hard much about Rick Peterson lately. I thought he was a pitching guru and books about pitching and his theories.

John Maine liked him. I think he was traded for Kris Benson and his wife.

Rick Peterson was my first pitching coach in New York and he shaped me as both a pitcher and as an individual. I learned a lot from him, not just about pitching mechanics, but also about the mental aspect of baseball. Of course that helped me out a lot with pitching, but more importantly, it helped me in life. Everything is a mental game, it’s how you prepare for things and how you deal with stuff thrown in your path. It’s really given me a better outlook on life.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2015/04/where-are-they-now-catching-up-with-john-maine.html/

Will you wear a True Detective masque while coaching though?

• 2 weeks later...

For the month, 3/5 of the rotation has an ERA of 6.370, Gausman at 4.576, and people wonder what happened.

Ubaldo 6 GS, 34 IP, 24ER, 6.353

Gonzalez: 6 GS, 31.2 IP, 24 ER, 6.820 ERA

Gausman, 6 GS, 39.1 IP, 20 ER, 4.576 ERA

Chen, 5 GS, 31 IP, 10 ER, 2.903 ERA

Tillman, 4 GS, 22 IP. 14 ER, 5.727 ERA

Wilson, 1 GS, 7.2 IP, 2 ER, 2.350 ERA

Archived