Has Buck lost control of the clubhouse (and his senses)?

webbrick2010

I believe the way you do it is to write a check to your free agents, which we didn't do, which led to a below 500 season. You accept a loss for a one or two year run, knowing you won 96 and have a GM that has shown he knew what he was doing. Sometimes, it's time to go for it, knowing that you are spending a little more than you can afford. This off season was that time.

Ad before you say borrow it. Or take on new investors. Are you allowed to? Ask your self this. Do you feel lucky? Because the MLB might just McCourt you. They promised you everything within their power.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe the way you do it is to write a check to your free agents, which we didn't do, which led to a below 500 season. You accept a loss for a one or two year run, knowing you won 96 and have a GM that has shown he knew what he was doing. Sometimes, it's time to go for it, knowing that you are spending a little more than you can afford. This off season was that time.
In April 2011, Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig announced that MLB would be appointing a representative to oversee the day-to-day operations of the Dodgers. His statement said that he took that action because of his "deep concerns for the finances and operations" of the Dodgers. This event occurred shortly after an LA Times report that McCourt had obtained a personal loan from Fox to cover the team's payroll for April and May.

0acfe6d3a6cbf60744dd28117d30322f.jpeg

cute. We could have went for it, but we played it safe and lost. Given our division rivals, we need to pick our spots to go for it and we failed to do that. We failed to take advantage of an opportunity that was staring us in the face. I totally disagree with your opinion that there's nothing else we possibly could have done.

cute. We could have went for it, but we played it safe and lost. Given our division rivals, we need to pick our spots to go for it and we failed to do that. We failed to take advantage of an opportunity that was staring us in the face. I totally disagree with your opinion that there's nothing else we possibly could have done.

Maybe there are stacks of cash. Maybe there are. I don't know that there are. I would assume that the lawsuit is a fight for the life of the franchise. As we know it.

All the more reason to go for it.

You have confused me. With what money? If the money is available, I was all for having spent it. I wanted Cruz back. Even though it was a bad financial move. What starting pitcher(s) would you have signed and what moves would you have made to make room for him (them)?

How do you write a check from equity?

In the real (that is, non-baseball) world, you can borrow against the equity. In the world of baseball franchises, you can do that if you don't run afoul of MLB's restrictions on debt.

You also can raise cash by selling equity. I've been thinking about a proposal for doing that as a means of keeping the Orioles in contention in the near term. It is a complete waste of time, but what else is new?

In the real (that is, non-baseball) world, you can borrow against the equity. In the world of baseball franchises, you can do that if you don't run afoul of MLB's restrictions on debt.

You also can raise cash by selling equity. I've been thinking about a proposal for doing that as a means of keeping the Orioles in contention in the near term. It is a complete waste of time, but what else is new?

That is absolutely a strategy, though again, completely up to MLB as what will be allowed. The Wilpon example is the only one I could see. And That was a hemorrhage that MLB wished to stop. I think any attempt to raise capital would start at MLB enforcing a sale of the RSN.

You have confused me. With what money? If the money is available, I was all for having spent it. I wanted Cruz back. Even though it was a bad financial move. What starting pitcher(s) would you have signed and what moves would you have made to make room for him (them)?

I would have responded to Toronto's offer and told DD we are going to give you the resources to compete. I would have then left it up to him how the extra money was spent. That would have motivated him and it would have ended the distraction. I'm not gonna play GM, I'm simply saying ownership was penny wise and pound foolish this off season

I would have responded to Toronto's offer and told DD we are going to give you the resources to compete. I would have then left it up to him how the extra money was spent. That would have motivated him and it would have ended the distraction. I'm not gonna play GM, I'm simply saying ownership was penny wise and pound foolish this off season

So how many million are you spending out of ownership's pockets?

Is the 137 you mentioned earlier enough? What if Dan wanted a TOR pitcher as well? Would you spend 225 million of someone else's money? How about a quarter of a billion? You comfortable with that?

Not sure about whether is he is a cancer or not. Ed and Steve on 105.7 were interviewing a reporter a few weeks back and he mentioned that some Oriole players call him Baby Arod. I thought it was funny.

Interesting. He has our only runs tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the Orioles were the 2nd most profitable team in MLB 2013 netting 30.1 million in reported profits. Most estimate that those numbers were better in 2014. Lets also remember that these numbers are based on the teams reporting of revenue and expenses. Everyone knows that MLB teams love to hide money, it helps with the labor relations negotiations to dull those numbers.

Pete is the owner of this team and has every right to do what he pleases. For whatever reasons they have chosen not to invest in the team the same way that many other teams do. That is PA right as owner to determine. That said, lets stop pretending like this team does not have the revenue, assets and flexibility to add payroll if they wanted to. Lets also stop pretending like the MASN case is some fight for the Orioles survival, its goofy. A more accurate description of the MASN case is that it is a fight to determine just how valuable that asset will be when PA cashes it in.

http://mdbiznews.business.maryland.gov/2013/03/orioles-second-most-profitable-franchise-in-baseball-says-forbes/

I believe the way you do it is to write a check to your free agents, which we didn't do, which led to a below .500 season. You accept a loss for a one or two year run, knowing you won 96 and have a GM that has shown he knew what he was doing. Sometimes, it's time to go for it, knowing that you are spending a little more than you can afford. This off season was that time.

The Orioles are 62-63 with 37 games left to play.

Saying that they probably won't make the postseason is a reasonable assertion.

Already putting the season in your pocket as a below-500 one is not.

Well the Orioles were the 2nd most profitable team in MLB 2013 netting 30.1 million in reported profits. Most estimate that those numbers were better in 2014. Lets also remember that these numbers are based on the teams reporting of revenue and expenses. Everyone knows that MLB teams love to hide money, it helps with the labor relations negotiations to dull those numbers.

Pete is the owner of this team and has every right to do what he pleases. For whatever reasons they have chosen not to invest in the team the same way that many other teams do. That is PA right as owner to determine. That said, lets stop pretending like this team does not have the revenue, assets and flexibility to add payroll if they wanted to. Lets also stop pretending like the MASN case is some fight for the Orioles survival, its goofy. A more accurate description of the MASN case is that it is a fight to determine just how valuable that asset will be when PA cashes it in.

http://mdbiznews.business.maryland.gov/2013/03/orioles-second-most-profitable-franchise-in-baseball-says-forbes/

Please know that MLB teams book are not open to anyone.

We don't know that those numbers are accurate or what accounting practices are used to determine them. That said, maybe with agreement of all partners to forgo profit. If it is correct, maybe the team could have spent 30 million more. They won't make 30 million this year, no matter what accounting practice are used.

Lets also stop pretending like the MASN case is some fight for the Orioles survival, its goofy. A more accurate description of the MASN case is that it is a fight to determine just how valuable that asset will be when PA cashes it in.

[/url]

I might say that your theory is in fact the goody one. We don't know. Let's stop pretending that we do. There are many people who think that losing the case will make the Orioles into the Rays.

Archived