Would Wieters actually Accept a QO?

FanSince88

If Nelson Cruz had trouble finding a suitor and had to settle for much less than his QO, I don't see how Wieters has an easier time finding a suitor. I would take the QO if I were him. In a heartbeat. Get paid now and hope to play well in 2016 so you can make serious bucks in 2017 and beyond. Odds are he'll be his usual "just ok on offense, good on defense" self in 2016 which will be enough for someone to overpay in the 2016/2017 offseason. And he might even get a shot at 1B which would show versatility.

And getting paid that chunk of change would guaranty that the Orioles have him in the lineup and playing, regardless of production. So he doesn't run the risk of being benched for a cold spell, he'll be given the leeway to work through it.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think there's any chance he would take one, coming off a year-long injury. The possibility that Wieters gets re-injured on a one-year QO deal would more than negate the potential benefits of playing an additional year to try and get a bigger payday at the end of 2016. If he gets hurt again, the chance of getting a 4- or 5-year deal will all but disappear.

Yes but does Boras want another client of his to have to wait until the middle of next spring training or next regular season to sign a deal for less than the QO? Would be a pretty bad look for Boras.

You don't think Boras would be willing to sacrifice Wieters to further his overall agenda?

Have you been paying attention to how he operates?

I am not sure if the O's will offer

I would be very afraid that he would actually accept and you'd be stuck with him for another year.

They didn't make Markakis a QO, which I never understood.

They were looking to resign Nick at an AAV of around $11 million per. Last year's QO was around $15 million plus he had been making $15 million for 2013 and 2014 and hadn't been producing to that level. A QO would have been inconsistent with both the Orioles' valuation of his expected contribution and preference for a 3-year contract at a lower AAV.

You don't think Boras would be willing to sacrifice Wieters to further his overall agenda?

Have you been paying attention to how he operates?

How does it further Boras' agenda if his client turns down a QO and then nobody makes him an offer until June 2016? Boras would have some serious egg on his face in that case. Everyone would know it was Boras pushing his client to turn it down, and it would make him look awful. Sure, Boras will blame it on the QO system, but that doesn't solve anything in the near term.

I believe the Braves, Nationals, Mariners, Cubs, Rangers, White Sox, and Red Sox could be interested in upgrading at C and have some money to spend.

Sure they'd have money to spend, but who wants to give up a pick for a long-term, expensive deal on a player coming off an injury? Cruz had the PED stigma and all, but he wasn't injured or anything. And he had to settle for one year at half his QO. And don't tell me Wieters is more valuable than Cruz, that's a joke.

How does it further Boras' agenda if his client turns down a QO and then nobody makes him an offer until June 2016? Boras would have some serious egg on his face in that case. Everyone would know it was Boras pushing his client to turn it down, and it would make him look awful. Sure, Boras will blame it on the QO system, but that doesn't solve anything in the near term.

He's done it before. One big deal and most folks forget the times he hurt his client. It is most certainly in his long term best interest to have his clients refuse the offers.

It is not as if his business is dependent on Matt's next contract.

Sure they'd have money to spend, but who wants to give up a pick for a long-term, expensive deal on a player coming off an injury? Cruz had the PED stigma and all, but he wasn't injured or anything. And he had to settle for one year at half his QO. And don't tell me Wieters is more valuable than Cruz, that's a joke.

Just because you dont like the guy, make him less valuable.

Catching is a critical need for several teams in MLB, and in short demand.

Salty got 3 years and 21 million, back in 2014.

Matt has value and thought to be one of the better catchers in the league, so it's easy to see that he will be in demand.

No way will a Boras client be the first to accept a QO. No way. Ego alone won't allow that.

If I am Wieters, I would take a major step down from Russell Martin money (5/$80M), let's say 4 years/$48M, over a QO. That would be $33M more guaranteed money to play baseball for a living and retire in complete financial security. I would take that in a heartbeat given his career numbers and medical history.

Don't want to get too far OT, but the whole "gotta eat" thing does rub me the wrong way. A comfortable lifestyle can easily be had with $100k annual income ($75-80k after taxes). The average MLB salary this year is $4 million, which after taxes is probably in the neighborhood of $2.5 - 3 million. That's about 2 times more than the average bachelor's degree holder earns IN A LIFETIME! So I'm not sure financial security is a big concern with these guys... it's more of an ego trip to see who can collect the most beans...

Just because you dont like the guy, make him less valuable.

Catching is a critical need for several teams in MLB, and in short demand.

Salty got 3 years and 21 million, back in 2014.

Matt has value and thought to be one of the better catchers in the league, so it's easy to see that he will be in demand.

Cruz was one of the better DH/OF in the league in 2013/2014 offseason. He still had to take a bath. And he wasn't coming off injury. If Wieters can't catch, his value plummets (unlike Cruz who is equally if not more valuable as a DH). If you're giving him a long-term deal, you're gambling that he's going to stay in good enough shape to continue being a catcher for all those years. No matter what, he's not playing more than 130-140 games a season, and that's very optimistic.

Archived