Would Wieters actually Accept a QO?

FanSince88

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was traded immediately upon acceptance. And that was not a qualifying offer. That was under the old rules and the old CBA. But a relevant point nonetheless. He would advise a client to take advantage of an opportunity, were it not something that he was trying adamantly to have removed from the new CBA to be negotiated this off season.

Boras client Greg Maddux also surprised the Braves by accepting arbitration prior to the 2003 season.

Again a very interesting point and well taken. Several sets of rules back from the current one, which Mr. Boras refers to as indentured servitude and slavery in various interviews.

You would agree that the chances of a Boras client being the first to accept are diminished by his representation though I am certain?

Since you did not answer me and simply posted a link to something that Boras did in a completely different set of circumstances, I assume the answer to MY question is "Yes, It would be very unlikely that Scott Boras would be the first to advise it."

Since you did not answer me and simply posted a link to something that Boras did in a completely different set of circumstances, I assume the answer to MY question is "Yes, It would be very unlikely that Scott Boras would be the first to advise it."

I didn't see your question. That link was with respect to QO and trade.

Again a very interesting point and well taken. Several sets of rules back from the current one, which Mr. Boras refers to as indentured servitude and slavery in various interviews.

Both situations address the notion that Boras is single-mindedly driven by doctrine even to the detriment of his clients if it ever came to that. He isn't IMO, he's a pure pragmatist when it come to his own self interest and cognizant of the fact that he works for his clients when they demand it.

Teams did not lose a pick prior to this particular set of rules as punishment for over paying for a FA. They were rewarded by trading for type A and B free agent's to be as well. It is not the same set of rules that Scott was happy with.

Both situations address the notion that Boras is single-mindedly driven by doctrine even to the detriment of his clients if it ever came to that. He isn't IMO, he's a pure pragmatist when it come to his own self interest and cognizant of the fact that he works for his clients when they demand it.

I agree. He is not dogmatic. And his own self interests are to have the QO eliminated from baseball as we know it. His number 1 driving self interested pragmatic doctrine.

You would agree that the chances of a Boras client being the first to accept are diminished by his representation though I am certain?

I don't know. Maybe? Probably? I think Boras believes he can create a market, which in and of itself hints against advising a client they are better off making a run next year.

I think the problem with the Wieters discussion is that those stating there is zero chance a QO would be accepted are ignoring the fact that Wieters is coming off of a serious injury and has not been a standout this year. It's wholly possible that other GMs will not like the idea of a long term deal to a big-bodied catcher any more than they liked the idea of giving a long term deal to Cruz coming off his PED suspension, or Drew coming off a "meh" year.

Wieters will have played like 110 games over the past two seasons, and will be coming off an "okay" 80 or so games in 2015 (like 60 or so behind the plate).

I don't know. Maybe? Probably? I think Boras believes he can create a market, which in and of itself hints against advising a client they are better off making a run next year.

I think the problem with the Wieters discussion is that those stating there is zero chance a QO would be accepted are ignoring the fact that Wieters is coming off of a serious injury and has not been a standout this year. It's wholly possible that other GMs will not like the idea of a long term deal to a big-bodied catcher any more than they liked the idea of giving a long term deal to Cruz coming off his PED suspension, or Drew coming off a "meh" year.

Wieters will have played like 110 games over the past two seasons, and will be coming off an "okay" 80 or so games in 2015 (like 60 or so behind the plate).

Could Wieters get a three year, 35 million dollar deal?

Archived