Playing lousy feels weird

winkies

I don't know that sucking should feel that weird.....we all felt it for 14 years and it wasn't that long ago. Now if the Cardinals sucked, that would feel weird for their fans since they have no clue what supporting a bad team even feels like. Or having a prospect that doesn't pan out. Or a pitcher with an ERA over 2.50.

In an odd way, next season won't be as bad to me as this season....because I expect absolutely nothing. To me, it will be 1999 just like this season was 1998. History repeats itself if you aren't careful. And our 2014 ALCS appearance felt as painful and empty as the 1997 one.

The real question for me is how many wins will we get to finish this season. We were 63-63 and have lost 3 straight. In 2002, we were 63-63 and then went 4-32 (which may be one of the most impressive "accomplishments" in modern sports history). I have to believe our guys are already looking forward to the offseason so I think we can expect a lot more losses against teams that are actually still motivated and playing hard. I'll be in Toronto on Friday night and I am hoping we can hold them to under 15 runs...per game. We'll see.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Go back to the posts from November 2014 through February 2015.

A bunch of folks were stunned by DD's lack of movement but were told that we were trolls or negative nellies or "gloom and doomers."

My fondest wish is that DD and the FO learned a harsh lesson about percolating and being needlessly cheap and will do what it takes to build a long-term winner in Baltimore.

The fans deserve so much more than this garbage.

MSK

Every fan of every team in every sport could say they deserve better. It's nonsense. If you're a fan, you stick with them in good times and in bad, like we all did for the past thirty years without a World Series appearance. Heck, don't you think Cubs fans deserve better. I will be interested to see Duke's plan for the offseason, because season ticket sales are gonna tank with all the short term playoff holders from last year not renewing.

This team should have done better this year, no doubt about it. When we got to that nice run in June it felt like they finally got it together and then nothing since. More waiting and hoping they would go on another run and put themselves in a good position.

Ive been trying to determine if this season is more disappointing than 2013 when Jim Johnson blew all those saves. That season was over when he blew the games in Arizona. The KC series was prob this season's "over" point.

And to think that Texas is where they are after all their major suckage this year, and we are where we are. . . . . .

Good thing football is almost here.

It's sad that 2 playoff appearances, 1 playoff series win and getting swept in the only ALCS the team has played in 17 years is considered the 'being spoiled'. The team has finally succeeded in lowering expectations so much, that not finishing last for 5 years in a row is a good year. Or is 6 playoff seasons since 1975 the proper prism to see this franchise.

Cruz could of made a difference' date=' there's no doubt amount that. But he was worth 3.7 WAR in 2014 which is all star worthy but not MVP worthy. He's following that up with a 4.9 WAR (depending on what you go by) through 127 game which is impressive but as it's been rehashed a zillion times: 2014 was an outlier and one couldn't expect him to put up those #'s again let alone better them. And there's still 3 more years on that contract for a guy in his mid 30's.[/quote']

And yet the majority of posters were on board giving a 31 yo SS a 40 million dollar extension when he was coming off a year with chronic back injures and his HR total dropping from 25 to 9. All of that money could have been given to Cruz and we'd be a much better team

And yet the majority of posters were on board giving a 31 yo SS a 40 million dollar extension when he was coming off a year with chronic back injures and his HR total dropping from 25 to 9. All of that money could have been given to Cruz and we'd be a much better team

Much better?

Bit of an exaggeration no?

But how much more rope does Everth Cabrera (-.8 rWAR) get if he is the starting shortstop? Hardy hasn't been good but he's been better then Cabrera and Flaherty. The O's also don't get Parades' first half.

Ok maybe only three or four then.

For the umpteenth time. This year has been about the regression of the starters. Collectively.

Of course.

But if the offense scored more runs then the team would win more games.

If you replace the O's production from the DH with Cruz it would be a better team.

But it still wouldn't be good enough.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• It's fine, but I would personally prefer having Cowser and Adley taking tons of pitches back-to-back before Gunnar further punishes the opposing starting pitcher with high exit velo barrels. 
    • I was going to say pretty much the same thing about Cowser in my post, but left out my thoughts to keep the post more Gunnar-centric. But I totally agree that Cowser fits the best as this team's leadoff hitter, especially since Holliday doesn't look like he's going to make an impact offensively as early as most of us thought heading into the season.  Going back to last season, I've said Cowser has the best mix of patience, hit tool, power, and speed to be a great leadoff hitter. The strikeouts are most likely always going to be high with him, but he has .380-.400+ OBP makeup, and having someone like that hitting leadoff with Adley and Gunnar hitting directly behind Cowser is going to set things up for an elite offense which is much more dynamic and less one-dimensional than the what we've seen up until this point. Cowser Adley Gunnar Westburg O'Hearn Santander Mountcastle Is an ideal top 7 against RHP for right now, with Kjerstad (replacing Hays) and Mayo (essentially replacing Mateo and bumping Westburg to 2B) making the lineup legitimately scary within the next couple months. Mullins and Hays need to be phased out, with Santander and Mountcastle not far behind if those two continue struggling and not reaching base enough to justify hitting in the middle of the order.
    • A lot of teams (likely driven by analytics) are putting their best overall hitter at 2 (like the Yankees batting Soto 2, and the Dodgers batting Shohei 2) to maximize ABs while guaranteeing that a high-OBP guy is batting in front of him to give him opportunities with men on base.  That's probably what we want.  It seems logical considering how thoroughly debunked small-ball in the first inning has been.  Rutschman at 3 is fine.
    • Realistically I think Adley as the leadoff guy is the best lineup for us but if he has trouble batting leadoff in half the games because he can't get his catcher's gear off fast enough then I get it.   Cowser has continued to be incredibly patient, and if Adley can't be our leadoff guy then Cowser is probably our next best option.  Of course Cowser also hits a lot of bombs, so it'd be interesting if he goes on another heater.   If Cowser gets off the schneid then Cowser leadoff and Gunnar at 2 could be incredibly potent.  I don't think Cowser is actually playing that badly, he's just been running into some bad luck.  And he's starting to wake up a little bit anyway.
    • Agreed, appreciate the stats. Gunnar isn't a leadoff hitter - he's a prototypical #3 hitter or cleanup hitter. Hyde writes poor lineups, and Gunnar hitting leadoff has been one of the consistent problems with the offense this season. Gunnar hitting mostly solo shots is both a consequence and reflection of this offense's flaws - the O's have too many low-OBP hitters in the lineup (hitting in less-than-optimal spots for the most part) and are too reliant on solo homers to generate runs. At least Hyde has started hitting Westburg leadoff against LHP, which is progress, but Hyde is way too stubborn and too slow to make the correct adjustments. He's very similar to Buck Showalter in that respect.  Anyway, I look forward to Hyde waking up and moving Gunnar down to #3/#4 against RHP.  
    • While the return on the Tettleton trade wasn't ideal, 1: I don't think you can really expect a 30 year old catcher to put up a career year and then follow it up with another one, and 2: we had Chris Hoiles who played quite well for us following Tettleton's departure.  If we had forward thinking GMs we probably would split them at C and give them DH/1B/OF games on their non catching days, which is what Detroit did with Tettleton to prolong his career after 1992.  (He was basically the same hitter from 1993-1995 but he stopped catching with regularity so his WAR was much lower.)   The Davis trade was so completely undefensible on every level, not the least of which because we already had a player who was at least as good as Davis was on the team, but he didn't fit the stereotypical batting profile of a 1B.  At least today teams wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a 10 HR first baseman if he's got an OBP of .400.
    • The Glenn Davis trade was so bad it overshadowed another really bad trade in team history. The Orioles traded Mickey Tettleton that same offseason for Jeff Robinson in part because Tettleton had an off year in 1990 with a .223 batting average and a .381 slugging percentage. Except Tettleton drew 116 walks making his OBP .376 and his OPS+ was 116. Jeff Robinson was coming off a 5.96 ERA in 145 innings pitched. I have no idea what the team was thinking with this trade. Robinson did manage to lower his ERA in 1991 to 5.18 his only Orioles season. There's no way this trade is made today in the age of analytics. Tettleton meanwhile put up 171 home runs and an .859 OPS for the remainder of his career. 😬 Just a bad trade that doesn't get talked about enough thanks to Glenn Davis.
  • Popular Contributors