Brittany Ghiroli on frustration in O's locker room

Nevermore

If only we had signed Hamilton like you wanted or traded for Kemp....is the that the type of I was right in the first place you had in mind? Sure this team would be so much better with a even more expensive crappy team. Almost 90% of the moves you advocate are either completely unrealistic given who the owner is or make no sense regardless who the owner. So for the first time your doom and gloom routine comes to pass and now your the Nostradamus of the hangout.....please.

Maybe if you take a minute, understand what team it is your supposedly rooting for, you might be a whole less unhappier. The team is the Orioles, their owner has a budget and its not like the Yankees, Dodgers or Red Sox's budget. Follow me so far? Whining about that fact is pointless unless you have a billion dollars to spend so you can buy the team. Advocating they make moves that everyone knows this owner will not sign off on is just POINTLESS drivel. This is a discussion board to discuss the Orioles, the real Orioles, not the fantasy one you have in your mind.

I have, along with many other people been highly critical of the Orioles inability to develop pitching, the overall state of the farm system, their poor utilization of the international amateur market etc..... I just refuse to advocate the Orioles sign David Price, a guy they cannot afford, a guy that really only a handful of teams will be able to afford. It's pointless to suggest, it's like telling a homeless guy he would feel better if he bought himself a meal and checked in a hotel without giving him any money to do so.

You also fail to address the reality that there were people constantly arguing for the Orioles to not go get known talent. WE HAD good talent that we let go. THAT'S THE POINT OF THE WHOLE DAMN THREAD.

I have never said the Orioles need to increase their payroll to $200 million. Show me where I said that.

Even though a lot of you enjoy putting words into my mouth, show me one single post where I said the Orioles should recklessly spend money on free agents? Please show me where I've ever said that.

You can look all you want, but I bet my bottom dollar you'll not find me saying spend money endlessly.

I have said we should boldly go into the international scene. I said we should revamp scouting and development. I have said we should scour the instructional leagues harder. I want the Orioles to have a better farm.

Does that require spending like the Yanks, Red Sox or Dodgers?

MSK

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/08/31/brittany-ghiroli-on-possible-frustration-in-the-orioles-locker-room/

Ghiroli writes about Orioles locker room and the frustration felt with the loss of Cruz and Markakis and the FO failure to replace them. I doubt that the pure sabermatricians will take very much stock in this. Yes, the Orioles players are professionals but they are human beings with human feelings. And it does affect their game despite their efforts.

Thanks for posting this. This organization is at a real crossroads now. Duquette deserves an F for this past season, and honestly I think he should probably be terminated. The farm system needs to be rebuilt. If they can't do better than fill holes with mid-level free agents and Rule V picks, then I think the window is fully closed and they should look at trading Machado and Jones to get some youth back into the farm system.

I only wish the OH could have a rule that if you suggest the Orioles sign any player who will cost more than 100 million dollars and is not a current Oriole, your avatar is changed to dunce cap.

This is not a lets discuss an alternate reality Orioles board, limiting ourselves to suggestions that are realistic given our owners disdain for big contracts would probably make the conversation more realistic and less contentious. We can lament or agree with the POV that Peter Angelos has on that issue but the reality is unless one of us has a billion or so dollars to spend, its the reality we operate in. Till there is evidence of that changing, its just the way it is. Pete will spend, just not a lot in one place unless its a hometown guy.

It was sad as an O's fan to see no improvement in the team in the offseason. Just about every other team with half a chance at the playoffs made sizeable improvements. I remember Jones being ticked off that there were no real efforts to resign Markakis or Cruz. Markakis was replaced with Snider and Cruz was replaced with nobody. If the freaking Florida Marlins can sign Stanton to the biggest contract in mlb history, the O's should be able to sign Cruz.

In addition to the offensive talent that was lost, the leadership of the team was gutted. As an outsider, I believe that Cruz and Markakis, along with Jones were the most important guys in the clubhouse. I think Hunter was a leader too (just based on his demeanor). I feel like too much leadership was pushed on Jones, plus he has dealt with nagging injuries all year. Other teams try to win at all cost, the O's, aka DD (no doubt directed by Angelos), try to win as long as the profit margins are not cut into.

The O's didn't have to sign Miller, Cruz, and Markakis in the offseason, but they had to find reasonable replacements for them. Sorry, Parmalee, Snider, and Wesley Wright just don't cut it.

Time to start building for 2020. :cussing:

You also fail to address the reality that there were people constantly arguing for the Orioles to not go get known talent. WE HAD good talent that we let go. THAT'S THE POINT OF THE WHOLE DAMN THREAD.

I have never said the Orioles need to increase their payroll to $200 million. Show me where I said that.

Even though a lot of you enjoy putting words into my mouth, show me one single post where I said the Orioles should recklessly spend money on free agents? Please show me where I've ever said that.

You can look all you want, but I bet my bottom dollar you'll not find me saying spend money endlessly.

I have said we should boldly go into the international scene. I said we should revamp scouting and development. I have said we should scour the instructional leagues harder. I want the Orioles to have a better farm.

MSK

Even DD has all but admitted he failed this year. He had a budget, he spent it and it utterly failed for the first time in 4 years.

Every single team uses AAAA players, its not a novel concept. Getting the production DD has in the prior 3 years is kinda unusual, this year karma kicked our collective butts.

Everyone agrees the farm system must improve. Ultimately it will be on this issue that DD's fate is sealed. This next draft will be an important one. We could have upwards of 3 comp picks and perhaps even a top ten protected pick. Used wisely on the right players that could do wonders in jumpstarting that. The internationalt thing....well that seems like a PA things IMO, its been persistent regardless of who the GM is. I hope DD can convince PA to spend more here but if he can't, I have a hard time criticizing DD for not doing something he is basically not given the resources to do.

As the core of this team became more expensive, DD had to rely more and more on cheap options as he had less and less money to spend. Do you really believe DD thought Snider was replacing Nelson Cruz or Nick Markakis, do you actually believe that they thought they were better off without him. You only think of the here and now. DD has to consider how signing Cruz impacts his ability to do deals with guys like Machado, Schoop, Tillman (prior to this year) and AJ.

MSK

I remember you blasting one of the recent O's off-seasons on how we didn't get 2 TOR pitchers and a big bat (as if it were that easy).

I remember you blasting one of the recent O's off-seasons on how we didn't get 2 TOR pitchers and a big bat (as if it were that easy).

Sign Price, Kazmir, Chen, CD, Heyward, Upton, Zobrist.

Extend Manny

Easy.

Of course it has no basis in reality but it sure is easy to say.

As the core of this team became more expensive, DD had to rely more and more on cheap options as he had less and less money to spend. Do you really believe DD thought Snider was replacing Nelson Cruz or Nick Markakis, do you actually believe that they thought they were better off without him. You only think of the here and now. DD has to consider how signing Cruz impacts his ability to do deals with guys like Machado, Schoop, Tillman (prior to this year) and AJ.

I was 100% in agreement with you until you said this part.

How can I only be thinking of the here and now when most of my platform is about the farm, improving scouting and development and having the team think outside the box in regards to international signings?

Aren't those all about long-term integrity?

MSK

Toronto found ways to improve.

So did KC.

:noidea:

MSK

KC and TOR have much better farm systems + we had our 2 top prospects in a top heavy farm system shelved. I agree we could have done more but simply signing Cruz + Miller would still not make this team a playoff team.

Of course you are. Read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboulet'sStache View Post

Her comments regarding everything read as nothing more than her beliefs. There is nothing to indicate she received feedback from anybody.

You are assuming that what she is conveying is nothing more than what she personally thinks, based on no sourcing information.

I think that's a poor assumption, as people on here appear to be clamoring for some type of quote or source when obviously there will not be one offered because no one is going to go on record about that topic, not in season in Buck's locker room.

I'm just arguing that, in journalism, as in many professions, people write and speak based on information they have gathered, even if they're not willing to blow up their source of it. Especially in someone like Britt's position (beat writer for the club), I highly doubt she is going to cite "undisclosed sources" within the locker room saying they're unhappy with management. I'm assuming that she wouldn't irresponsibly throw something out there without any information on background to back it up.

We're both making assumptions. I'm just pointing out my belief that yours is erroneous.

Is she quoting a player or players? Then it's 100% bull****.

WTF are you talking about?

LOOK at any thread between November 2014 and February 2015 regarding DD and the winter meetings.

DD and Toronto.

DD and remaining free agents.

Several of them were locked because they got so nasty.

Basically the conversation went like this:

Dec 2014 - DD isn't doing anything - THEY said: "Shut up, it's too early to complain, he can always make moves, it's only December."

Jan 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "The talent out there is too expensive and/or fangraphs says that player will suck at the end of his contract. Not worth it. There's still time to make moves."

Feb 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "We can still spend the money better. Besides, the off season isn't the only time we can improve the team. We can make moves through out the season."

Mind you, this is the nice version of how it went down.

March 2015 - Now- DD still hasn't done anything. NOW everyone gets it. And now they attack my character.

Doesn't change anything about what DD didn't do.

MSK

This^^^^.

It was sad as an O's fan to see no improvement in the team in the offseason. Just about every other team with half a chance at the playoffs made sizeable improvements. I remember Jones being ticked off that there were no real efforts to resign Markakis or Cruz. Markakis was replaced with Snider and Cruz was replaced with nobody. If the freaking Florida Marlins can sign Stanton to the biggest contract in mlb history, the O's should be able to sign Cruz.

In addition to the offensive talent that was lost, the leadership of the team was gutted. As an outsider, I believe that Cruz and Markakis, along with Jones were the most important guys in the clubhouse. I think Hunter was a leader too (just based on his demeanor). I feel like too much leadership was pushed on Jones, plus he has dealt with nagging injuries all year. Other teams try to win at all cost, the O's, aka DD (no doubt directed by Angelos), try to win as long as the profit margins are not cut into.

The O's didn't have to sign Miller, Cruz, and Markakis in the offseason, but they had to find reasonable replacements for them. Sorry, Parmalee, Snider, and Wesley Wright just don't cut it.

Time to start building for 2020. :cussing:

Yes..dump Jones, and Machado, they bring no leadership, and we clearly can't win with them, with out Cruz and Markakis. :rolleyes:

Archived