Brittany Ghiroli on frustration in O's locker room

Nevermore

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love how noboby prints articles like this when a team is holding a playoff spot.

Losing is frustrating. Losing a buddy in free agency (so said buddy can make a somewhat greater fortune then was offered) is not so frustrating.

I for one have accepted the lost year that is 2015 and look forward to a new plan for 2016.

LZ129.1-200_Page_001.jpg

That's conjecture that can't be proved or disproved. How does one quantify leadership? More importantly, how does one quantify the effect of having a true clean-up hitter in the lineup to take pressure off of practically every other player in said lineup? How do you quantify the effect on the pitching staff of knowing that the offense won't be there to bail you out if you make a mistake?

The fact is no one can really say what this team's record would look like if we had Cruz all season. Most would agree that the Wins/Losses would certainly look better, though - the only question is how much better. And that's a question we can debate forever.

First off our record when leading from the 8th inning on is 52-3 which is when Andrew Miller would have pitched. (or 55-1 when leading going into the 9th if you made him closer over Britton).

Second of all many sabermetrics have discounted the "protection" [ie. Cruz] theory. Cruz might have gotten us in the race for the 2nd WC

but with our brutal schedule and the # of teams bunched up in the race the odds would be against us. And even if we got it we'd have to win the WC game and be at a big disadvantage in the Divisional round against a team that is clearly better than us. Also remember, there's still 3 years on the contract of a 35 year old who's can't field.

First off our record when leading from the 8th inning on is 52-3 which is when Andrew Miller would have pitched. (or 55-1 when leading going into the 9th if you made him closer over Britton).

Second of all many sabermetrics have discounted the "protection" [ie. Cruz] theory. Cruz might have gotten us in the race for the 2nd WC

but with our brutal schedule and the # of teams bunched up in the race the odds would be against us. And even if we got it we'd have to win the WC game and be at a big disadvantage in the Divisional round against a team that is clearly better than us. Also remember' date=' there's still 3 years on the contract of a 35 year old who's can't field.[/quote']

Folks discount it because of the lack of supporting evidence.

Assuming Miller would have been able to pitch in those three games and that he would have pitched well is in the realm of pure speculation. I could as easily speculate that Britton would fall apart upon having the closer role unjustly torn from his grasp.

Folks discount it because of the lack of supporting evidence.

Assuming Miller would have been able to pitch in those three games and that he would have pitched well is in the realm of pure speculation. I could as easily speculate that Britton would fall apart upon having the closer role unjustly torn from his grasp.

So we agree then.

I'm not sure you understand how an assumption works. I'm not "assuming" anything' date=' I'm merely saying that her giving her characterization of the clubhouse, is her characterization of the clubhouse. It would be like you telling me that wasn't even her on the interview, but some alien that came down and took her body. You're right, I can't disprove that argument, but it's not an "assumption" on my part to say "No, that was her." The burden is on you, the person who is assuming a fact not there, i.e. she is really an alien, to prove it.[/quote']

No need to be condescending there, mustache.

Your argument is that her opinion is solely that: her opinion. Correct? There is an assumption (a thing that you are accepting as true) that underlies your perspective: that is, that Britt is just pulling this opinion out of her behind, and does not have any evidentiary basis for her opinion. My argument is that she has probably been told this by sources inside the clubhouse, but due to the nature of her job (beat writer employed by the club) and the nature of the information (pretty divisive criticism of management), she was told these things off the record and would not ascribe them to anyone. Reporters are told things on background all the time - that helps color their opinion or their perspective, even if they don't cite something directly. Certainly up to you to believe it if you want, but in my opinion its quite foolish to "assume" (see, I can snarky quote, too), that because there's no direct source given, there is no basis for her opinion. Pretty naive, really.

I'm well aware that there is an assumption that is key to my argument as well: that Britt, indeed, does have sourcing that she does not wish to refer to. We're both making assumptions here, I'm just saying that I believe that yours is wrong.

Whatever, though - this a generally worthless argument anyway. Wish the Orioles would stop losing.

Your argument is that her opinion is solely that: her opinion. Correct?

Nope. I haven't made an argument. I merely stated that what she says is her characterization of the clubhouse, is her characterization of the clubhouse. That doesn't require any assumptions, and I haven't made any. For any assumptions that people want to make beyond that, whether it be she is repeating what players have told her or she is really an alien who has taken over her body, I've said I'll hold off from until there is something else to go besides people's assumptions about her characterization of the club house. Once again, it's not an assumption on my part. It's an agnostic stance on my part.

Whatever, though - this a generally worthless argument anyway. Wish the Orioles would stop losing.

Let it suffice to say that I am assured that she did not write the article, that it was an article written by others, based on an interview of her. It was pieced together so it was not always in appropriate context. I am sure that it is based on some of her views and some of what she has heard off the record.

It's all about inner mindset. Not what you are consciously thinking at that exact moment, but your state of being. Your energy flow, either positive or negative. I cannot believe anyone who has ever played sports, serious sports, could make the statement you made above.

Other people who are successful at sports have told me otherwise. One told me his deal was "see ball, hit ball."

Archived