Brittany Ghiroli on frustration in O's locker room

Nevermore

Dan Connolly is an award winning National Baseball writer. Not just an Orioles beat reporter. The Sun is VERY fortunate to have him because of his home's proximity. He's a bigger market guy.

Dan is also a past president of the Baseball Writers Association of America.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My apologies.

Normally I wouldn't engage someone living under a bridge, but I had previously looked up those numbers and saved them to my phone.

The urge to copy/paste a cold, hard statistical rebuttal to his shenanigans was simply to tempting for me to resist lol.

Does that formula account for a possible last place finish?

"Pathology." LOL

You folks are funny with your math.

MSK

Is it likely that everybody on the 25 man roster liked Cruz and Markakis. For various reasons, and really you don't even have to have an objective reason to dislike somebody.

Not everybody likes a certain person.

Also why does it really even matter if you like them or not? As long as you're not a douche then who cares? Don't be douche and just play.

Does that formula account for a possible last place finish?

"Pathology." LOL

You folks are funny with your math.

MSK

This has nothing to do with your original point, which, as you may recall, was that DD was personally and apparently solely "culpable" for the 2015 team's struggles. I responded by pointing out that Dan added(or retained) veteran players that could be reasonably expected to produce judging by their track records.

None of them did. All of them saw their OPS dip from their career numbers by 50-100+ points.

Based on the available data, including last year's performances, that would have been very difficult for anyone to predict. It's hard to blame DD for that.

If you're being objective, at least.

This has nothing to do with your original point, which, as you may recall, was that DD was personally and apparently solely "culpable" for the 2015 team's struggles. I responded by pointing out that Dan added(or retained) veteran players that could be reasonably expected to produce judging by their track records.

None of them did. All of them saw their OPS dip from their career numbers by 50-100+ points.

Based on the available data, including last year's performances, that would have been very difficult for anyone to predict. It's hard to blame DD for that.

If you're being objective, at least.

Dan Duquette has publicly taken responsibility for the failures of the team he assembled for the budget he was permitted. He explained his logic and told why he had the opinions that he did. He blamed no one other than himself for the failure of the players he paid and hired.

I actually very much appreciate what you copied there. However, I'm not trying to enrage anyone, I'm trying to get those who fought and argued so vehemently against the Orioles FO making positive moves this past offseason to admit that they were wrong.

Those who cursed, snarked and were generally unpleasant whenever anyone dared to wonder aloud why DD didn't do anything from November 2014 through February 2015. Those dudes were actively trying to enrage folks.

I call them out. They - of course - remain silent and pretend that they were always critical of the situation.

Ridiculous.

MSK

I mean calling someone out is not intended to enrage them, nor is calling them the flapjack regime. Am I right?

ridiculous

:cool:

Dan Duquette has publicly taken responsibility for the failures of the team he assembled for the budget he was permitted. He explained his logic and told why he had the opinions that he did. He blamed no one other than himself for the failure of the players he paid and hired.

Because that's what a good boss does. I respect that.

That being said, it's still pretty shocking that all 4 of those guys performed that way that they did for us. You would expect that at least one of those players would have played at or near their career averages.

"frustration" isn't an excuse to play poorly, though. These guys are professional athletes. Barring injury, what's stopping our 21-35 year old professional athletes from playing as well and being as successful as the best teams in baseball? Are they not training enough, or not in the right way? Poor scouting and advice from the coaches and back office? Lack of effort? Whatever it is, I'd be astonished if it had anything to do with the O's letting some free agents walk.

And if they're annoyed about it but it didn't impact their play, I honestly don't care. I'm not especially interested in the team's emotional state of mind as long as it doesn't affect them on the field.

Frustration may not be an excuse for poor play, but a lack of talent outside of 4-5 guys on the team sure is.

How can the Yankees be winning, they lost Jeter, do you know how much chemistry he brought to a locker room?

Yankees stink. No one on their roster could make our roster. 25 players. 25 limos. Overpriced. I wouldn't want to win if it's just players acquired by trade and free agent. And especially couldn't root for a team of over paid mercenaries.

Archived