Brittany Ghiroli on frustration in O's locker room

Nevermore

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This season had a 2013 feel to it for most of the year. I wasn't super optimistic about winning anything but I certainly didn't expect to hear this.

I wanted Cruz but was OK with not spending given limitations. Didn't think we needed more pitching and was clearly wrong there.

All that said, I think team chemistry was fine 14 games ago. I don't buy it now. Which of the frustrated guys would like to give up his roster spot to make way for Cruz or Kakes? Or is it always someone else's fault even though most of the team isn't producing?

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/08/31/brittany-ghiroli-on-possible-frustration-in-the-orioles-locker-room/

Ghiroli writes about Orioles locker room and the frustration felt with the loss of Cruz and Markakis and the FO failure to replace them. I doubt that the pure sabermatricians will take very much stock in this. Yes, the Orioles players are professionals but they are human beings with human feelings. And it does affect their game despite their efforts.

Fairly obvious tonight they've given up. Won't even play hard on Cal's night.

I've stopped entirely. I have yet to ever see him be even slightly accurate with his "synopsis" of people's positions which means he is either intentionally deceitful or doesn't possess good reading comprehension skills and can't interpret tone at all. Since he writes for a network show (as we've all been told a few times), I would assume he should understand tone and have good reading comprehension.

You've got to admit that he has to be ecstatic. He has been predicting how terrible we will be for 3 years while we won so he took it on the chin, but he hit the jackpot this year since we're falling apart. His prediction came true ... finally. If only we had given all that money to Josh Hamilton like he wanted, all would be fine. This is his finest hour in his warped mindset.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow. Where do I begin? Allow me to address the almighty king of flapjacks.

My reading comprehension is fine. I'm not happy at all. I prayed for a good season from the Orioles and THE REASON why I predicted doom for the last three years is because the Orioles FO keeps gambling on AAAA talent to supplement the core instead of building up the farm or spending money on known talent.

Let me say this one more time so everyone can understand.

Not developing your farm while also not trading for known talent while also not signing known talent via free agency is a death knell for a team.

Using AAAA talent to supplement your core year after year while not making any internal improvement is NOT A SUSTAINABLE TACTIC!!!!!

DD has been doing that year after year. Pinning our hopes on a group of guys who will likely not play over their heads year after year is just plain foolish and destructive.

The beef I have is that the Stat heads will attempt to justify this tactic using formulas that don't seem to account for reversion to the mean. Or just plain ol regression.

Call me all the names you wish, but none of that changes the fact that I was right in the first place. I'm estatic that common sense shone through the cloud of FO excuses powered by nothing than fanciful math from the bottom of an orange Kool aid jar.

MSK

I've stopped entirely. I have yet to ever see him be even slightly accurate with his "synopsis" of people's positions which means he is either intentionally deceitful or doesn't possess good reading comprehension skills and can't interpret tone at all. Since he writes for a network show (as we've all been told a few times), I would assume he should understand tone and have good reading comprehension.

You've got to admit that he has to be ecstatic. He has been predicting how terrible we will be for 3 years while we won so he took it on the chin, but he hit the jackpot this year since we're falling apart. His prediction came true ... finally. If only we had given all that money to Josh Hamilton like he wanted, all would be fine. This is his finest hour in his warped mindset.

Must be a miserable life honestly, to be that insecure, that one feels the need to draw attention and try to piss people off all the time, and to rationalize positions by being as intentionally obtuse as is possible.

Wouldn't New York imploding on itself be a good thing?

I predicted they would and the Blue Jays would win division. Also thought Rangers might get 2nd wildcard with addition of Hammels. On a roll...

Yankees aren't that good. Too many fragile people, it was only a matter of time.

The Royals and Blue Jays and Cardinals/Pirates/Cubs are strong. Playoffs will be interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My reading comprehension is fine. I'm not happy at all. I prayed for a good season from the Orioles and THE REASON why I predicted doom for the last three years is because the Orioles FO keeps gambling on AAAA talent to supplement the core instead of building up the farm or spending money on known talent.

Not developing your farm while also not trading for known talent while also not signing known talent via free agency is a death knell for a team.

Using AAAA talent to supplement your core year after year while not making any internal improvement is NOT A SUSTAINABLE TACTIC!!!!!

DD has been doing that year after year. Pinning our hopes on a group of guys who will likely not play over their heads year after year is just plain foolish and destructive.

The beef I have is that the Stat heads will attempt to justify this tactic using formulas that don't seem to account for reversion to the mean. Or just plain ol regression.

Call me all the names you wish, but none of that changes the fact that I was right in the first place. I'm estatic that common sense shone through the cloud of FO excuses powered by nothing than fanciful math from the bottom of an orange Kool aid jar.

MSK

Isn't this tactic essentially Billy Bean's "moneyball" philosophy? It never won Oakland a title, even though they had a good run.

Isn't this tactic essentially Billy Bean's "moneyball" philosophy? It never won Oakland a title, even though they had a good run.

Billy's moneyball philosophy was all about exploiting market inefficiencies. It just so happened to be OBP back in the day.

It may have never won Oakland a title, but for a club that has traditionally had very little payroll...Beane has done ridiculously well. I WISH we could have him as a GM.

Billy's moneyball philosophy was all about exploiting market inefficiencies. It just so happened to be OBP back in the day.

It may have never won Oakland a title, but for a club that has traditionally had very little payroll...Beane has done ridiculously well. I WISH we could have him as a GM.

Nahhhhhhh he would have traded Manny after that bat toss. **cough cough** Donaldson

I'm not assuming anything. To the contrary' date=' it is the people who are saying, "SEE!!!!! CHEMISTRY!!!!" who are making assumptions that aren't event hinted at in that interview.[/quote']

Of course you are. Read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Reboulet'sStache View Post

Her comments regarding everything read as nothing more than her beliefs. There is nothing to indicate she received feedback from anybody.

You are assuming that what she is conveying is nothing more than what she personally thinks, based on no sourcing information.

I think that's a poor assumption, as people on here appear to be clamoring for some type of quote or source when obviously there will not be one offered because no one is going to go on record about that topic, not in season in Buck's locker room.

I'm just arguing that, in journalism, as in many professions, people write and speak based on information they have gathered, even if they're not willing to blow up their source of it. Especially in someone like Britt's position (beat writer for the club), I highly doubt she is going to cite "undisclosed sources" within the locker room saying they're unhappy with management. I'm assuming that she wouldn't irresponsibly throw something out there without any information on background to back it up.

We're both making assumptions. I'm just pointing out my belief that yours is erroneous.

So sad. We've asked you again and again to provide some proof of THESE people who were so VEHEMENT against making positive moves last offseason. One shred, please!

WTF are you talking about?

LOOK at any thread between November 2014 and February 2015 regarding DD and the winter meetings.

DD and Toronto.

DD and remaining free agents.

Several of them were locked because they got so nasty.

Basically the conversation went like this:

Dec 2014 - DD isn't doing anything - THEY said: "Shut up, it's too early to complain, he can always make moves, it's only December."

Jan 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "The talent out there is too expensive and/or fangraphs says that player will suck at the end of his contract. Not worth it. There's still time to make moves."

Feb 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "We can still spend the money better. Besides, the off season isn't the only time we can improve the team. We can make moves through out the season."

Mind you, this is the nice version of how it went down.

March 2015 - Now- DD still hasn't done anything. NOW everyone gets it. And now they attack my character.

Doesn't change anything about what DD didn't do.

MSK

WTF are you talking about?

LOOK at any thread between November 2014 and February 2015 regarding DD and the winter meetings.

DD and Toronto.

DD and remaining free agents.

Several of them were locked because they got so nasty.

Basically the conversation went like this:

Dec 2014 - DD isn't doing anything - THEY said: "Shut up, it's too early to complain, he can always make moves, it's only December."

Jan 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "The talent out there is too expensive and/or fangraphs says that player will suck at the end of his contract. Not worth it. There's still time to make moves."

Feb 2015 - DD still isn't doing anything - THEY said: "We can still spend the money better. Besides, the off season isn't the only time we can improve the team. We can make moves through out the season."

Mind you, this is the nice version of how it went down.

March 2015 - Now- DD still hasn't done anything. NOW everyone gets it. And now they attack my character.

Doesn't change anything about what DD didn't do.

MSK

Yea there were a ton of apologists for DD not doing anything. It was really a fantasy land to think they would survive as is

MSK

If only we had signed Hamilton like you wanted or traded for Kemp....is the that the type of I was right in the first place you had in mind? Sure this team would be so much better with a even more expensive crappy team. Almost 90% of the moves you advocate are either completely unrealistic given who the owner is or make no sense regardless who the owner. So for the first time your doom and gloom routine comes to pass and now your the Nostradamus of the hangout.....please.

Maybe if you take a minute, understand what team it is your supposedly rooting for, you might be a whole less unhappier. The team is the Orioles, their owner has a budget and its not like the Yankees, Dodgers or Red Sox's budget. Follow me so far? Whining about that fact is pointless unless you have a billion dollars to spend so you can buy the team. Advocating they make moves that everyone knows this owner will not sign off on is just POINTLESS drivel. This is a discussion board to discuss the Orioles, the real Orioles, not the fantasy one you have in your mind.

I have, along with many other people been highly critical of the Orioles inability to develop pitching, the overall state of the farm system, their poor utilization of the international amateur market etc..... I just refuse to advocate the Orioles sign David Price, a guy they cannot afford, a guy that really only a handful of teams will be able to afford. It's pointless to suggest, it's like telling a homeless guy he would feel better if he bought himself a meal and checked in a hotel without giving him any money to do so.

Archived