Brittany Ghiroli on frustration in O's locker room

Nevermore

I think she writes well and is a fan of the Hangout. So those may be reasons. I know I got a text from her while I was at a Pat Metheny concert a few years back about a hotness" survey that was occurring on our Orioles Talk that was comparing her to Amber. She took it in good stride. She's a nice person and reads this site religiously. She at least knows as much about the inner workings of the clubhouse and the team as Peter Schmuck and he gets a pretty easy pass when he does a piece to get attention.

I remember asking her a question at Anaheim a few years back regarding a pitcher the Orioles were pursuing at the deadline. We were in the elevator going down to the field and she just ignored me. Apart from being rude there were other people there, so it was a little embarrassing. Then again I'm nobody to her so I get it. Little surprising is all. So, maybe I'm biased.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Her comments regarding everything read as nothing more than her beliefs. There is nothing to indicate she received feedback from anybody.

Again, I think its a pretty poor assumption that because she does not quote anyone, players haven't conveyed these beliefs/positions/feelings/whatever off the record. No one is going to sign up to go on the record about that kind of thing.

Her comments regarding everything read as nothing more than her beliefs. There is nothing to indicate she received feedback from anybody.

In fairness, she was being asked to give her opinion. I think it's been pretty well documented that a number of players on the team, Adam Jones in particular, feel the absence of Cruz and Markakis has had a negative effect on the team.

I remember asking her a question at Anaheim a few years back regarding a pitcher the Orioles were pursuing at the deadline. We were in the elevator going down to the field and she just ignored me. Apart from being rude there were other people there, so it was a little embarrassing. Then again I'm nobody to her so I get it. Little surprising is all. So, maybe I'm biased.

That surprises me. I'm nobody too, but she has always been social.

Denial, denial, denial doesn't change our 2015 fortunes.

DD botched the job. Deal with it.

MSK

Delmon Young OPS

Career- .737

2015 Orioles- .628

Alejandro De Aza OPS

Career- .736

2015 Orioles- .636

Travis Snider OPS

Career- .710

2015 Orioles- .659

Steve Pearce OPS

Career- .757

2015 Orioles- .698

Last time I checked, DD's duties don't include swinging a bat.

Denial, denial, denial doesn't change our 2015 fortunes.

DD botched the job. Deal with it.

MSK

Here is something for you that your buddy Tim Brown wrote.

We like it better in his world.

His is more colorful. Smarter. More clever. And so much funnier.

“Hey,” a scout said the other night at Dodger Stadium, “I got one for you. From Vin.”

OK.

“A mother looks in on her son, Johnny, on a Monday morning. She says, ‘Johnny, you have to get up and go to school.’

“Johnny groans, pulls the sheets over his head and says, ‘But I don’t wanna go to school.’

“’Why not?’ the mom asks.

“’Because they’re mean to me. They throw stuff and call me names. I hate it there.’

“’Well,’ the mom says, ‘you still have to go to school.’

“’But why? Why do I have to go to school?’

“Because, Johnny,’ the mom says, ‘you’re the principal.’”

It is kind in Vin Scully’s world. It’s honest there. And so humble. Everybody is impressed by Vin Scully. Except for Vin Scully.

It’s not so much the joke. It’s Vin sitting with scouts at a table in the media dining room, talking baseball, laughing with the guys who know more than anyone about the game, and slipping in a funny story before greeting the lady who’s worked there forever with a smile and a hug.

It’s the crowds who line up outside the press box in the eighth inning most nights, sacrificing the last outs, waiting to watch Vin walk from the door to the elevator, waving and singing hellos as he does.

At their worst, the Dodgers were going to be OK if Vin leaned into his microphone, chuckled softly and said they would be. At their best, they were more composed, more likeable, if Vin looked on from above.

On Friday night, the team announced he would be back for another season, his 67th. He’ll be 88 this fall. When the stadium cameras found him in his booth, Vin was standing and applauding the 50,000 who’d stood and turned to applaud him.

Over their lives, he’d given them baseball and stories and comfort. Mostly, he’d given them his time. So much time. He’d given them one more thing to count on. Seems he loved it, too. You’d also wonder if he’ll work to 88 out of duty to those who can’t bear to see him go, because his world is kinder like that.

He said he always enjoyed getting older. He’s not so sure about old, though one does necessarily lead to the other, if you get that lucky. He quoted Dylan Thomas, the poet:

“He wrote, ‘Do not go gentle into that good night. … Rage, rage against the dying of the light.’”

Vin smiled.

“I guess in a way that’s what I’m doing,” he said. “I’m raging against the dying of my career, which has to be around the corner now. But at least for the God-given time that I have left I’ll be raging.”

So, what’s left is to thank him for having us into his world. For keeping that world lit.

See, we’ve always liked it better there.

Sometimes it is best to just enjoy the life you have instead of trying to enrage all those around you.

Again, I think its a pretty poor assumption that because she does not quote anyone, players haven't conveyed these beliefs/positions/feelings/whatever off the record. No one is going to sign up to go on the record about that kind of thing.

I'm not assuming anything. To the contrary, it is the people who are saying, "SEE!!!!! CHEMISTRY!!!!" who are making assumptions that aren't event hinted at in that interview.

I haven't read the whole thread and I haven't read all of her piece.

I did get this far

Veteran in my book is about 5 full seasons in the major leagues. Who do they have, outside of Adam Jones?

Wieters

Davis

Hardy

Parra

Pearce

My guess is that their desire to see Nick and Nelson back didn't extend to it effecting how much they would be making.

I haven't read the whole thread and I haven't read all of her piece.

I did get this far

Wieters

Davis

Hardy

Parra

Pearce

My guess is that their desire to see Nick and Nelson back didn't extend to it effecting how much they would be making.

Union employees always care about how much those more senior are making. It blazes a good trail.

In fairness, she was being asked to give her opinion. I think it's been pretty well documented that a number of players on the team, Adam Jones in particular, feel the absence of Cruz and Markakis has had a negative effect on the team.

Show one example of this documentation that their absence has had any effect on performance. Last I checked, Adam Jones was quoted saying everyone is trying 100% and they are getting beat.

Delmon Young OPS

Career- .737

2015 Orioles- .628

Alejandro De Aza OPS

Career- .736

2015 Orioles- .636

Travis Snider OPS

Career- .710

2015 Orioles- .659

Steve Pearce OPS

Career- .757

2015 Orioles- .698

Last time I checked, DD's duties don't include swinging a bat.

Nope, he hired these guys.

That makes him culpable.

MSK

Archived