It's time for Wally Backman!

BradyBunch

Not saying it's a bench coach.. but we don't have a guy (coach wise) that can get into the faces of players and say what needs to be said. In fact.. John Russell is a very quiet guy. A bench coach's job is to be on top if it. A sounding board for a manager along with making sure players are ready for the day.

John Russell's job is also to be the catchers coach. Kirby OF, Dickerson IF. Buck has who he wants. Works for me.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a reason why you shouldn't post here. He's been a MiLB coach for years. He was actually hired by the Diamondback to be their manager in 2005, his colorful past, wrong or right caught up to him.. and Diamondbacks dropped him after a NYT article. Since then he's been a manager in independent ball all the way to AAA since. He's also managed the Mets current pitching staff in some way.. That means Harvey and De Grom.

I say ML job and you spout off his minor league resume or jobs he almost had(he was fired before ever managing a game). Is getting in people's faces how you "make" it work for you in your life? The professional approach. Please have the last word....at the top of your lungs no doubt.

I just the Orioles bring Wally Backman in. Probably as a Bench coach role. He's was a player's player.. and he still has that screw you attitude. It's time to get the right guy in as to run the bench.

If obscure 1980s platoon second basemen are the solution, I'm more of a Tim Teufel fan. Or maybe Buddy Biancalana.

So Buck hasn't been hard enough on Tillman, Gonzalez, and Ubaldo. If he had gotten in their face and said "You suck! Pitch better" that would have done the trick, huh?

You should always ask yourself "would this be acceptable to Lee Ermey in boot camp?" I think the Blue Jays' success has to be tied back to when Tim Johnson was manager. Sure, he wasn't really a Nam combat vet, but his heart was in the right place.

So yelling at people makes them better at baseball? Interesting theory. Let me see if I can dig up any studies on this phenomenon.

Yelling at adults in a professional setting was more acceptable the further back you go in the past. The further back you go in the past the better the world was. Therefore, yelling at adults solves everything. John McGraw and the old Orioles yelled, screamed, spiked and punched their way to three consecutive NL titles. Buck has never won three straight titles. So, point proven.

If obscure 1980s platoon second basemen are the solution, I'm more of a Tim Teufel fan. Or maybe Buddy Biancalana.

Good choices.

I'm going to go with Jack Perconte and Brian Doyle.

Seriously, while I give Backman credit for putting his life and career back together after losing the Diamondbacks job because of his personal and legal problems I don't think that his persona would do well as a bench coach anyway. Besides, I think it would be career suicide for a MLB manager to play "good cop" while one of his coaches plays the role of "bad cop". IMO, the managers' job is to make the tough decisions and to set the tone of discipline with the team.

Yelling at adults in a professional setting was more acceptable the further back you go in the past. The further back you go in the past the better the world was. Therefore, yelling at adults solves everything. John McGraw and the old Orioles yelled, screamed, spiked and punched their way to three consecutive NL titles. Buck has never won three straight titles. So, point proven.

So, Wally really is the answer? :mwahaha:

I know you said this tongue in cheek.

The players in those days, played for peanuts and not millions like now a days.

Yes, all my quick research turned up was how that sort of behavior just isn't tolerated anymore by these new soft athletes and a lot of coaches are finding it out the hard way. A bunch of garbage if you ask me. Back in the good ole days you could put cigarettes out on your little league team if they booted grounders and all that would happen is the parent would replace the cigarette. No one would sue you like these millennial sissies.

Yellers sometimes can make a temporary difference in play, but after a bit, the players resent the hell out of it.

Yes, I am aware. I was being sarcastic. I played for one and there was no quicker may to demotivate me than to be demeaning and publicly challenge people vocally. He was one of those old school dudes who figured out the hard way that that style doesn't play anymore when there was basically a mutiny and he quit.

Archived