Building Around a Core

srock

He's an very good durable player - not a player who I'd project greatness to as he reaches the other side O 30. Obviously you don't give away a player like that, but if you get a great offer, you have to consider it - and they could get a great offer. Really, anyone's available for the right price when you're a sub 500 team.

I agree that everybody is available for the right price, somebody building a contender and needing Jones, is probably not going to have enough quality extra parts to part with.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones is the key.

He is under contract for 3 more years at a reasonable(team friendly even) contract. His production is consistently above average at a premium position.

On the other hand, he peak trade value is THIS off season. He returns the biggest haul. And going into age 30, it is possible all the little injuries he has played through will start to diminish his ability to play CF. His offensive production as a corner outfielder/DH is still okay, but not stellar. Also he was displeased with Nick and Cruz leaving so if other guys are let go his desire to remain an Orioles may go with it.

All in all, I think the risk with keeping him is small and I for one would love to keep Adam Jones until he retires. However, for the right deal, trading Adam might bring back too much talent to ignore.

I think the PR hit is too great to move Jones. Otherwise I don't disagree w you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jones is a stud and elite CF, and I doubt the goods received back, would be high enough to justify the action.
I think the PR hit is too great to move Jones. Otherwise I don't disagree w you.

Markakis was more popular than Jones, and they let him walk with no appreciable PR hit for 95% of the fans. trade Jones for pitching

Markakis was more popular than Jones, and they let him walk with no appreciable PR hit for 95% of the fans. trade Jones for pitching

I don't think Markakis was more popular than Jones. Jones actively interacts with fans and the media. By comparison Markakis is a hermit, if talking to the press wasn't part of the job description he'd never do it. And Frobby is being heavily medicated and visiting a therapist three times a week because of Markakis' departure.

I don't think Markakis was more popular than Jones. Jones actively interacts with fans and the media. By comparison Markakisis a hermit, if talking to the press wasn't part of the job description he'd never do it. And Frobby is being heavily medicated and visiting a therapist three times a week because of Markakis' departure.

I think Nick was very beloved in Baltimore, and deservedly so, but Jones is beloved as well and is a much better overall player. The PR hit from trading Jones would be much bigger. I wouldn't do it this offseason, but I'd seriously consider it next offseason if the team isn't a contender in 2016.

I think Nick was very beloved in Baltimore, and deservedly so, but Jones is beloved as well and is a much better overall player. The PR hit from trading Jones would be much bigger. I wouldn't do it this offseason, but I'd seriously consider it next offseason if the team isn't a contender in 2016.

Co-sign

Toronto traded their top pitching prospect for only 1 year of Price. Jones is a good value at $16M. I can't think of a precedent for trading someone with three years left. The only way it would make sense is with another big contract coming back (like Fielder for Kinsler) but that would defeat the purpose in our case. Be patient, hold onto Jones, trade him at the end of 2017 if we need to rebuild.

You would be telling the world that this team is toast and we're ditching the on-field leader and starting from scratch. I don't think the team wants to, needs to, or would be willing to do that.

It would be a big PR hit, which is why trading Jones is key. Jones is the first domino. If he gets traded, there is nothing holding back from trading any of the veterans.

I don't think it will happen, nor do I think it should happen. But I could see a team like Houston ponying up and trading a bunch of talent for him. Enough talent to make Duquette's job really hard.

Why are you speaking on behalf of the FO, and how do you know this?

Braves are the worst team in Baseball, so glad to see Markakis has had an impact with them.

How exactly is Cruz leading the Mariners into the playoffs?

I don't understand this arguement. It's not the players fault. Cruz is having an even better year and Markakis is having a nice year off of surgery.

But getting back to the OP. We shouldn't be too negative. We get a lot of offensive production from positions that are defense first. We still have the same ?'s that we had in ST. LF/RF/1B/DH. Now we have lose Chen. We have talent. The team needs a rake and not a bulldozer. It's hard to predict who we could get because I think the trade market is are most realistic option. Keep Davis. See how much Parra and Oday want. Spend money on quality.

The "core" I believe are the players who will be significant contributors for several more years. Which means:

- Adam Jones

- Manny Machado

- Jonathan Schoop

If Chris Davis is signed, he would be core player #4. There are zero pitchers on the team that I feel confident enough to place there, and that's a problem. Britton is closest, but his arbitration numbers are going to go up and the team may not be willing to pay him. Gausman is still unproven as far as I'm concerned.

I don't understand this arguement. It's not the players fault. Cruz is having an even better year and Markakis is having a nice year off of surgery.

But getting back to the OP. We shouldn't be too negative. We get a lot of offensive production from positions that are defense first. We still have the same ?'s that we had in ST. LF/RF/1B/DH. Now we have lose Chen. We have talent. The team needs a rake and not a bulldozer. It's hard to predict who we could get because I think the trade market is are most realistic option. Keep Davis. See how much Parra and Oday want. Spend money on quality.

The bullpen is the easiest place on the roster to replace value. People cried about losing Miller but we didn't see a drop off with Britton. We shouldn't see much of one with Givens if we let O'Day walk. And Parra is a guy in the midst of a career year. He certainly hasn't done a lot for us.

If the philosophic approach to crafting a team is to create a squad that is superior defensively (perhaps even elite), be in the top 5 teams in the league in HRs and foster a pitching approach that is based on leveraging the outstanding defense (as opposed to striking guys out). Then the current budget, with appropriate COLA, will be able to do that. The critical factor in this strategy is the farm system and player development. That must be elite and a consistent source of cost contained talent. To my way of thinking, this is where the majority of the investment should be.

Archived