Os DFA Cabral, claim 1B Andy Wilkins off waivers

Crazysilver03

Yeah, the O's are just packed with top prospects who need to be protected. :rolleyestf:

I'm betting the 35th man on most teams 40 man roster is better than the O's 40th. I would release DFA Urritia or someone similar and bring Mancini up.

The O's have 9 coming off the 40 man roster this offseason - Davis, Wieters, Chen, O'Day, Pearce, Parra, Matusz, Janish, Navarro.

They may add as many as 6 minor leaguers. Kline, Triggs, Bridwell, Lee, Toliver, Rodriguez.

They will add a Rule 5 draft guy.

The leaves two spots to add back veteran players. FAs, Trades, Waiver Wire, etc.

They have about 35m to spend on adding talent.

There is really not a lot of 40 man roster space.

Wilkins is an old career minor leaguer. Couldn't catch on with Toronto Chicago or LA in the last 2 years. Couldn't make a 40 man roster in September for a good team. No risk, marginal upside. Could get hot for a few weeks in April.

Wilkins is an old career minor leaguer. Couldn't catch on with Toronto Chicago or LA in the last 2 years. Couldn't make a 40 man roster in September for a good team. No risk, marginal upside. Could get hot for a few weeks in April.

That's the point. Good teams let guys like this go if they have a handshake agreement with him. He's not going to get AB's with a team in the hunt but we could see him up here at some point this season.

He's going to be 27 in a few days. I read he has two options left. He's a good guy to have around. Especially if we spend money and keep Davis and Parra around. That means we'll have to LF/DH with platoon type options. Hopefully that's the case. This gives us some flexibility with optionable bench type guys. Wilkins, Flaherty, Urrutia, Alvarez, and Walker. Not having options on the bench or in the pen is what really killed us earlier in the year.

Here's a MILB highlight. If interested in more just click on the "Andy Wilkins" tag in the video.

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=185416183&sid=milb

My problem is, if this is the Davis replacement in the Orioles eyes we are in for a long winter. We will lose blue chip players and replace them with low risk cheap AAAA players. When they fail next season will get a disaster.

Archived