We have a plus 25 run differential?

birdcrazy

The AL has gone 152-125 against the NL this year. That's .549 ball, meaning an 81-win team against all AL competition would be something like a 89 win team against NL competition. You could argue that the O's would be about .500, or maybe a tad better had they been playing an NL-centric schedule. Or the Phils would be playing roughly .333 ball in the AL.

But their Pythag W-L in the NL East, hoo boy... ;)

Worst three losses

15-2 Minnesota

11-2 Toronto

10-2 Toronto

Best three wins

19-3 Philadelphia

18-2 Oakland

18-7 Boston

+43

That's a 13 run difference. Take away those games and the Orioles would have a +12 run differential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's a fair way to look at it. It still suggests we should be slightly above .500. But we haven't won the close ones. It's convenient to pin that on certain players who didn't return in 2015, but we had a lousy record in one-run games in 2013, too (20-31).

Personally, I feel the main issue is that we've been playing from behind too often due to our poor starting pitching. Its tougher to come back in a close game than it is to protect a lead in a close game.

The Orioles have been 'unlucky' in terms of run differential translating into wins but they've been 'lucky' in terms of their hitting and pitching production translating into that run differential. They've been out-OPSed by their opponents .740 to .727; they're a legit mediocre AL team this year.

The Orioles have been 'unlucky' in terms of run differential translating into wins but they've been 'lucky' in terms of their hitting and pitching production translating into that run differential. They've been out-OPSed by their opponents .740 to .727; they're a legit mediocre AL team this year.

You mean we manufactured more runs than the average bear this year? Wow.

Archived