MLBTR projecting Chris Davis at 7 yr/ with salary in the mid 20m's

wildcard

There was a Cruz backlash here in Baltimore, especially what I've heard on the talk shows and at OPACY.

How many owners operate their teams at a profit? Are the O's supposed to hold their own, making more money than they spend? Or should it be Angelos who operates the Orioles, along with his legal and other enterprises? And on the whole, Angelos (unless he goes through personal bankruptcy would operate all of this enterprises (including the O's) at a profit.

As far as I know all teams earn a profit. Who would spend ~billion and not expect a healthy ROI?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said before that Boras will ask for Teixeira money.

I don't think "small market" is true unless it's artificially imposed.

Probably right about Boras. 5 years would be plenty enough.

I completely agree with you about the artificially imposed "small market" thing.

Say 22m to 25m per year that would be 154m-175m. Pretty hard for a mid market team like the O's to handle.

If that is true then O's fans should think about Walker or Mancini at 1B next year.

Just saying.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/09/2016-mlb-free-agent-power-rankings-6.html

He won't get this. Or if he does.....the team that pays this will be out of their minds and will be blowing away every single offer out there. .

The only 150 million plus player out there this offseason is David Price, maybe Johnny Cueto.

Upton, Heyward, Cespedes, and Davis will all be in the 90 to 150 million dollar range depending on how outrageous teams want to get. I don't see any of them exceeding it.

He won't get this. Or if he does.....the team that pays this will be out of their minds and will be blowing away every single offer out there. .

The only 150 million plus player out there this offseason is David Price, maybe Johnny Cueto.

Upton, Heyward, Cespedes, and Davis will all be in the 90 to 150 million dollar range depending on how outrageous teams want to get. I don't see any of them exceeding it.

I will say. I don't think Davis is a guy you should break the bank on. He's too streaky with his hot and cold stretches. Dollars equal give me Justin Upton or even Heyward. Not Cespedes though. Let's stay away from that.

However some owners could take a loss on their baseball team as long as they get a healthy ROI in their other enterprises.

None of them do. Infract MLB does not allow for it to be done that way. When the Orioles were indebted to Peter, they were put on a debt caution list and threatened with sanctions.

It'd be a crushing blow to the offense to lose him. I don't mean to get all MSK dramatic here but this is a vastly different team with a different first baseman next year, offensively and defensively. I don't think he's Keith Hernandez down there but he's no slouch with the glove.

I know, I know...no one should tie up that amount of money to one guy, and if someone comps him to Ryan Howard I will scream bloody murder, there's a big difference in athleticism between those two guys.

He probably won't be worth it over the lifetime of the contract and we should prepare to say goodbye. Probably for the best, but it'll suck without him. I just hope he goes to the NL so we don't have to face him.

I think he'll be gone.

It's going to suck hard to lose Davis, but I will make this prediction: during the time before he signs with another team and the Os FO makes a horrible offer - there will be people with "numbers" saying that we can match his production with AAAA retreads.

I know this because that's what happened when Cruz and Markakis split.

We're losing Wieters, Davis and Chen at the very least. We're a "poor" team so get ready for the dark times while fangraphs justifies the lack of signing anyone.

MSK

I will say. I don't think Davis is a guy you should break the bank on. He's too streaky with his hot and cold stretches. Dollars equal give me Justin Upton or even Heyward. Not Cespedes though. Let's stay away from that.

What do you mean "let's stay away from that"? Is there some issue with Cespedes that I'm not aware of? He's an incredible player. Better than Upton.

Archived