MLBTR projecting Chris Davis at 7 yr/ with salary in the mid 20m's

wildcard

It'd be a crushing blow to the offense to lose him. I don't mean to get all MSK dramatic here but this is a vastly different team with a different first baseman next year, offensively and defensively. I don't think he's Keith Hernandez down there but he's no slouch with the glove.

I know, I know...no one should tie up that amount of money to one guy, and if someone comps him to Ryan Howard I will scream bloody murder, there's a big difference in athleticism between those two guys.

He probably won't be worth it over the lifetime of the contract and we should prepare to say goodbye. Probably for the best, but it'll suck without him. I just hope he goes to the NL so we don't have to face him.

Opportunity to reconstruct the team into a club with more versatility and broader skill set. Embrace it.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sorry, I just don't buy this "poverty-mid-market" pose. Angelos has plenty of money to spend -- if he wants to. He'll likely lose much of his fan base if he goes the cheap route. Remember when they went cheap on Nelson Cruz?

Now if DD can convince us that there are good baseball reasons not to resign him, then that's a different ballgame so to speak.

Nelson Cruz does not pitch. Starting pitching was the problem for the O's this year.

Starting pitching ERA

2014 - 3.61

2015 - 4.58

Nearly a run more a game.

The O's offense scored more runs per game than in 2014

2014 - 4.35 runs per game

2015 - 4.45 runs per game

I would expect that the O's payroll will be just as high next year has it is this year. The O's will spend money on players. Just not a 150m -175m on one player. IMO

I'd like to see your copies of Angelos' financial records. Just to verify how much money he actually has.

Regardless, $140+ million is a lot for anybody. And I don't want Davis to be the O's answer to Ryan Howard.

Fix the farm system. Invest heavily in that. This FA stuff should be the provence of other teams that are either (1) much closer to contending for a title (which the O's clearly aren't even with a currently half-priced Davis), or (2) stupid (or possibly a touch of both).

How much money does a guy need? I think Davis remembers how miserable he was in Texas. How would he do under the glare of say the NYY? I dont think well.

The years scare me more than anything. I think if you are going to go all in, you publicly offer like 5 years $125 million. If he wants years 6-7, that's on him. I think he can pretty much do whatever he wants in life with $125. That way the fan base will realize they at least tried.

If you want to try to keep him, make the offer early and make it public. But don't do like 7 years..

How much money does a guy need? I think Davis remembers how miserable he was in Texas. How would he do under the glare of say the NYY? I dont think well.

The years scare me more than anything. I think if you are going to go all in, you publicly offer like 5 years $125 million. If he wants years 6-7, that's on him. I think he can pretty much do whatever he wants in life with $125. That way the fan base will realize they at least tried.

If you want to try to keep him, make the offer early and make it public. But don't do like 7 years..

Chris hired Boras to get him the most money. And he will probably take the highest bid.

First time was a warning and admission to the enhanced testing program, second time got him the suspension. Third time would be 80 games or a year to my knowledge.

There is different tiers for different things. Steroids/HGH is treated differently then what Davis got busted for and the got TUE for.

Archived