Jones wants say in offseason, plans to meet with Angelos

Going Underground

From the Sun:

Center fielder and undisputed team leader Adam Jones doesn't want to see a repeat of last winter, when the Orioles let go of home run king Nelson Cruz, long-time right fielder Nick Markakis and dominating reliever Andrew Miller, though he recognizes that that more top-talent attrition is probably unavoidable.

"I want this team, from Day One of spring training, to not just talk about competing like everybody else ? all 30 teams do that at the beginning of it ? but actually have the team to be able to go out on the field and get the job done,'' Jones said Tuesday.

He said Tuesday that he intends to seek a meeting with Angelos and sit down with both manager Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette at some point early in the offseason to make a case for treating next season like the Orioles should have treated this one.

"It's going to be a different offseason because a lot of the core is now in situations where they can do things differently," Jones said. "I want to make sure that, hopefully, I can persuade or say anything to keep this team intact, and if (that's not possible), go get guys who have similar attributes and pedigrees.

"I think after the season, I'll let things die down a little, get away from the game and then go have a meeting -? talk to Peter, go talk to Buck, go talk to Dan and see what direction we're going next year."

What Jones does not want is to spend one or two of his remaining three years under contract on a rebuilding team. He's gotten a taste of winning and he wants to help take the Orioles to the next level of success.

"Because I'm getting older," he said. "As you get older, you want to win. I may want to play until I'm 40, but every day you get older, so you want to win and win and win. You see why Torii (Hunter) is still playing. You want to win."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-column-0916-20150915-column.html

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From the Sun:

Center fielder and undisputed team leader Adam Jones doesn't want to see a repeat of last winter, when the Orioles let go of home run king Nelson Cruz, long-time right fielder Nick Markakis and dominating reliever Andrew Miller, though he recognizes that that more top-talent attrition is probably unavoidable.

"I want this team, from Day One of spring training, to not just talk about competing like everybody else ? all 30 teams do that at the beginning of it ? but actually have the team to be able to go out on the field and get the job done,'' Jones said Tuesday.

He said Tuesday that he intends to seek a meeting with Angelos and sit down with both manager Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette at some point early in the offseason to make a case for treating next season like the Orioles should have treated this one.

"It's going to be a different offseason because a lot of the core is now in situations where they can do things differently," Jones said. "I want to make sure that, hopefully, I can persuade or say anything to keep this team intact, and if (that's not possible), go get guys who have similar attributes and pedigrees.

"I think after the season, I'll let things die down a little, get away from the game and then go have a meeting -? talk to Peter, go talk to Buck, go talk to Dan and see what direction we're going next year."

What Jones does not want is to spend one or two of his remaining three years under contract on a rebuilding team. He's gotten a taste of winning and he wants to help take the Orioles to the next level of success.

"Because I'm getting older," he said. "As you get older, you want to win. I may want to play until I'm 40, but every day you get older, so you want to win and win and win. You see why Torii (Hunter) is still playing. You want to win."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-column-0916-20150915-column.html

What a great guy.

From the Sun:

Adam Jones might just be my favorite Orioles ever based on this article alone.

Thank God for him. Someone needs to put their foot down and demand better of this front office, and it might as well be Jonesy. He's taking the words right out of our collective mouths here at the hangout.

He's even right about not wanting to be a part of rebuilding -- because if the team is really going to try a rebuild, they should just go ahead and trade Jones, not do it halfways.

The line about not just talking about contending, but actually having a team that can contend is priceless. I'm sure he is as sick as us of the happy talk we get from the FO each spring trying to sell us on how scrubs like Kris Benson, Garrett Atkins, an over-the-hill Kevin Millar, or Steve Traschel are going to lead us to the playoffs.

Lol, Adam knows how to get traded.

First thought that occurred to me as well.

It won't happen, of course, but if I'm PA I'd find a tactful way of not letting a player - even AJ - go over the heads of the people who've been given the job of assembling the team each year.

First thought that occurred to me as well.

It won't happen, of course, but if I'm PA I'd find a tactful way of not letting a player - even AJ - go over the heads of the people who've been given the job of assembling the team each year.

Because all those "moves" the FO made last offseason worked out so well. How many players did we DFA this year again? I forget...

Lol, Adam knows how to get traded.

I remember shortly after Eric Dickerson was traded to the Colts in November of 1987, the Cowboys were playing the Giants on Monday Night Football.

The Cowboys won the game, and as the clock was winding down, Eugene Lockhart had a big bucket of Gatorade in his arms, and he was considering throwing it on Tom Landry's head as a celebratory act.

All Michaels then said, "Eugene, if you want to be a teammate of Eric Dickerson, go right ahead and dump that bucket of icy Gatorade on your coach's head."

"If they wanted to extend me and make me a lifetime Oriole with no confusion about me going anywhere else, I'm always going to be open to that," he said. "I'm no idiot. I understand where comfort is. I understand where the opportunity was given and I've always been a loyal person. If that opportunity arose, you've always got to entertain a possibility that is securing your life and your family's life

Sounds like he would like to extend.

Archived