Duquette on Re-signing Davis and Offseason Priorities

Slappy

Listened to it. I have no problem with that statement. Would you rather he had said "We want to field the best team we can, even if only rich white men can afford to come by themselves or with their buddies, and the team was full of unsavory mercenaries(see Paplebon and his crotch grab, ARoid, ect,) it's not suitable to be watched by women and children." An average working family of 4 from B'more could not afford to go to games at Yankee Stadium very often.

Yes, I would have had him say that. I really don't care about the price of a dang hot dog, I care about winning.

Affordable family entertainment? It's all a joke. If you're counting pennies, then taking family to an OS game is already out of your budget. Relatively speaking, MLB games are already NOT affordable fam entertainment, so Dan using that as an excuse is unacceptable. THAT is what I had a problem with.

And referencing Papelbon and arod as making the game unwatchable by children... Did you just move to Baltimore? Try explaining to your kids why we played a game in an empty stadium because the city was rioting and it's not safe to be at the park. Baltimore has its fair share of "unwatchable" episodes... Remember Alomar spitting on the umpire? You mention Aroid, are you dismissing Palmeiro sitting on the stand testifying about roids?

That crap happens everywhere, even in our own back yard.

It sickens me that anyone would use keeping the price of a hot dog down, as an excuse for fielding a mediocre or "affordable" team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fact, and yet with all the pissing and moaning in OH, you think we were the Cubs and 90+ years of futility.

I think it involves more around timing... Last few years were awesome. 2015 had the making of great things, were were so close to the World Series, just missing 1 or 2 pieces. We ALL knew the impending free agent situation. 2015 shoulda been the "all-in" year. Instead, we are going to lose key players from 2012-2015 and the future looks bleak.

We're all proud of what this team has accomplished recently, but disappointed there wasn't a stronger push for 2015, given the expiring contracts.

I think it involves more around timing... Last few years were awesome. 2015 had the making of great things, were were so close to the World Series, just missing 1 or 2 pieces. We ALL knew the impending free agent situation. 2015 shoulda been the "all-in" year. Instead, we are going to lose key players from 2012-2015 and the future looks bleak.

We're all proud of what this team has accomplished recently, but disappointed there wasn't a stronger push for 2015, given the expiring contracts.

Not everybody is proud, but most are, you are right, again, its the vocal minority beating their chests.

I think 2015 was all-in, to the point, of not mortgaging the future.

They were still in contention through the end of July, in spite of numerous obstacles and bad decisions.

2014, reminded me so much of the 96 season, so dang close to the WS, I could taste it.

It is so amazing to watch people continually pretend that the team can spend basically whatever it takes to retain players yet somehow not have to generate new revenue to offset the spending. No wonder so much of the country has basically no money saved for retirement. People ignore reality.

BTW, taking that happy medium statement and turning it into what I've read over the last couple pages is embarrassing and people should be ashamed. WE ARE 13th IN MLB IN PAYROLL IN 2015. The spending was fine, the allocation was the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw 17th but we always be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Well, the Cubs are in the playoffs. Just watched Arrieta shut out the Pirates.

And it sucks, how is that worse than watching Schilling for all those dang years after trading him away?

Schilling has the highest post season record of any pitcher in MLB history (With at least 10 decisions)

Yes, I would have had him say that. I really don't care about the price of a dang hot dog, I care about winning.

Affordable family entertainment? It's all a joke. If you're counting pennies, then taking family to an OS game is already out of your budget. Relatively speaking, MLB games are already NOT affordable fam entertainment, so Dan using that as an excuse is unacceptable. THAT is what I had a problem with.

And referencing Papelbon and arod as making the game unwatchable by children... Did you just move to Baltimore? Try explaining to your kids why we played a game in an empty stadium because the city was rioting and it's not safe to be at the park. Baltimore has its fair share of "unwatchable" episodes... Remember Alomar spitting on the umpire? You mention Aroid, are you dismissing Palmeiro sitting on the stand testifying about roids?

That crap happens everywhere, even in our own back yard.

It sickens me that anyone would use keeping the price of a hot dog down, as an excuse for fielding a mediocre or "affordable" team.

It doesn't sound like you are a family man. At least I hope you aren't. Sounds to me like you should be a Yankee fan. They have all the money in the world to spend and their ticket and hot dog prices reflect that. It's only 30 bucks round trip on the Bolt bus to NYC and tickets though expensive are easy to get, nobody here can afford them except corporations. Bu you probably don' take buses what with your private jet.

It doesn't sound like you are a family man. At least I hope you aren't. Sounds to me like you should be a Yankee fan. They have all the money in the world to spend and their ticket and hot dogs prices reflect that. It's only 30 bucks round trip on the Bolt bus to NYC and tickets though expensive are easy to get, nobody here can afford them except corporations. Bu you probably don' take buses what with your private jet.

The Yankees do not sell out their playoff games, (Well, okay, they sell out on paper).

You will see empty seats and down low, where the camera can capture this.

You will not see this in any other MLB stadium playoff game, at least not to the degree there.

The Yankees do not sell out their playoff games, (Well, okay, they sell out on paper).

You will see empty seats and down low, where the camera can capture this.

You will not see this in any other MLB stadium playoff game, at least not to the degree there.

Why are you telling me this, tell it to that closet Yankee fan.

It doesn't sound like you are a family man. At least I hope you aren't. Sounds to me like you should be a Yankee fan. They have all the money in the world to spend and their ticket and hot dog prices reflect that. It's only 30 bucks round trip on the Bolt bus to NYC and tickets though expensive are easy to get, nobody here can afford them except corporations. Bu you probably don' take buses what with your private jet.

I don't being able to afford Oriole tickets, regardless of the cost, makes me any less of a family man. I just don't think its fair for DD to use that as an excuse for not over extending when the time is right (2015, just before many core team players hit the market).

It is so amazing to watch people continually pretend that the team can spend basically whatever it takes to retain players yet somehow not have to generate new revenue to offset the spending. No wonder so much of the country has basically no money saved for retirement. People ignore reality.

BTW, taking that happy medium statement and turning it into what I've read over the last couple pages is embarrassing and people should be ashamed. WE ARE 13th IN MLB IN PAYROLL IN 2015. The spending was fine, the allocation was the issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand what you mean, but I don't think comparing MLB economics to real world economics (retirement, etc) is not a fair analogy.

I can't remember the last time I heard an MLB struggling to put food on the plate for their owners. Maybe Milwaukee a few years ago, but I honestly don't remember what their issue was.

I don't being able to afford Oriole tickets, regardless of the cost, makes me any less of a family man. I just don't think its fair for DD to use that as an excuse for not over extending when the time is right (2015, just before many core team players hit the market).
I haven't a clue as to what you are trying to say here, your English is so garbled.

I haven't a clue as to what you are trying to say here, your English is so garbled.

I don't think I have 'edit' privs.

You accused me of not being a family man. I said, I don't think being able to afford tickets, regardless of the cost, makes me, or anyone else any less of a family man.

DD used family affordability as an excuse for a reason that the team refuses to take a risk on an overpriced player. Many fans are happy that the Orioles don't mortgage the future, yet it doesn't appear we have anything to look forward to next year. I think 2015 should have been the year to open checkbooks, the timing was right. It didn't happen and I don't see enough talent around here for a "next man up" approach.

Archived