Duquette on Re-signing Davis and Offseason Priorities

Slappy

I love how "look at all the DFA'd players and money! What an idiot!!!" is the gift that keeps on giving. It's been brought up in dozens of threads as proof of Duquette's idiocy. While probably a third of the teams in the league are carrying a single contract for an injured/old/woefully under-producing player that's in the same price range as all of those DFA's put together. The Nats paid Jayson Werth $21M to be sub-replacement this year, but apparently that just proves they're committed to winning.

Since Jason Werth seems to be your "go to" contract, I challenge you to find a single post in the history of this great board that championed the Jason Werth move. I can't wait for the results, heck maybe somebody did advocate that as an opportunity lost. That contract was so bad from of that I'd be shocked if anyone even complimented the Nats for there willingness to spend; maybe they did but not from this poster.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have a family? If you do, how much do you pay to take them to a game? Would you be willing to pay three times that much(what it costs at Yankee Stadium)or stop bringing them, in order to sign CD?

Three times as much better get me a whole lot more than just CD...I'm dreaming big if your gonna jack my bill 3 times as much. And before you ask, yes I have a family and no I pull the plug way before I pay 3 times as much, but they could get a few more bucks out of me if they tried.

Do you have a family? If you do, how much do you pay to take them to a game? Would you be willing to pay three times that much(what it costs at Yankee Stadium)or stop bringing them, in order to sign CD?
Nope, don't have a family other than 2 cats. As for what I would pay to sign CD, I do not think that a ticket price increase is needed to sign CD.

Nope, don't have a family other than 2 cats. As for what I would pay to sign CD, I do not think that a ticket price increase is needed to sign CD.

I love cats.

If I were in your area, I would babysit them for free.

Three times as much better get me a whole lot more than just CD...I'm dreaming big if your gonna jack my bill 3 times as much. And before you ask, yes I have a family and no I pull the plug way before I pay 3 times as much, but they could get a few more bucks out of me if they tried.

I'd go to a few more games if they were real good. I don't want to pay more. I don't want the fan demographics to change either.

Do most posters here believe that the Orioles payroll is the most they can afford or the most they are willing to afford?

Do John and Luis Angelos each make 2-3 million per year like fellow Exec VP Dan Duquette? Does Peter draw a salary as CEO? Are there dividends or partnership distributions? Teams don't open their books and I don't trust any Corp. anyone who thinks the Orioles can't sign Davis has no facts to support their position. Only that at a certain point they won't sign him.

Do most posters here believe that the Orioles payroll is the most they can afford or the most they are willing to afford?

Do John and Luis Angelos each make 2-3 million per year like fellow Exec VP Dan Duquette? Does Peter draw a salary as CEO? Are there dividends or partnership distributions? Teams don't open their books and I don't trust any Corp. anyone who thinks the Orioles can't sign Davis has no facts to support their position. Only that at a certain point they won't sign him.

They have the budget that they are given.

Just like every other team.

Anyone that expects a MLB team to act in accordance to a sum zero game when it comes to profitability is naive.

My guess is this year's profits are lower then projected and it might have an impact on next season's budget.

Since Jason Werth seems to be your "go to" contract, I challenge you to find a single post in the history of this great board that championed the Jason Werth move. I can't wait for the results, heck maybe somebody did advocate that as an opportunity lost. That contract was so bad from of that I'd be shocked if anyone even complimented the Nats for there willingness to spend; maybe they did but not from this poster.

Do you really want a list of the several dozen players making 15-20M a year or more who were essentially zeros this year? Werth is just a local favorite. I'm still interested in why it's deal-breaker for Duquette to have eaten $20M in short-term DFA's this year, but it's just the price of trying hard to win when you're carrying a CC Sabathia for $23M for 1 WAR. The Phils had probably $75M? $100M? in useless contracts this year.

Do you really want a list of the several dozen players making 15-20M a year or more who were essentially zeros this year? Werth is just a local favorite. I'm still interested in why it's deal-breaker for Duquette to have eaten $20M in short-term DFA's this year, but it's just the price of trying hard to win when you're carrying a CC Sabathia for $23M for 1 WAR. The Phils had probably $75M? $100M? in useless contracts this year.

Seattle paid Cruz and Cano $38,000,000.00 to miss the playoffs. Why won't Angelos tell Davis "we paid you 12 million last year and did not make the playoffs, why should I pay you 50% more? Will you be 50% better? "

Most posters believe that the yearly budget is determined by analyzing business factors limited to the franchise itself.

A few posters believe that PA should be spending his own money regardless of the wisdom of doing so from a business standpoint.

At least one poster is on record as believing that the Orioles are a public trust and PA is obligated to spend whatever it takes although it's unclear who makes the call as to how much is enough.

Seattle paid Cruz and Cano $38,000,000.00 to miss the playoffs. Why won't Angelos tell Davis "we paid you 12 million last year and did not make the playoffs, why should I pay you 50% more? Will you be 50% better? "

You mean 100% more, right? I think most people agree that Davis will end up costing closer to $24M p.a. than $18M p.a.

You mean 100% more, right? I think most people agree that Davis will end up costing closer to $24M p.a. than $18M p.a.

No way Angelos considers doubling an employee's salary. If they finished 3rd with him at $12 million, how valuable was he really (thinks Peter)?

No way Angelos considers doubling an employee's salary. If they finished 3rd with him at $12 million, how valuable was he really (thinks Peter)?

It's nice that you don't let your personal animus for Angelos get in the way of making a reasoned argument.

Moot. He is not being signed by the O's. The O's will make an offer in the neighborhood of 5/90 M and Boras will giggle and move on.

Archived