Duquette on Re-signing Davis and Offseason Priorities

Slappy

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Curious: if the choice were between paying a bit more and accepting mediocrity, what would you choose?

I don't believe that the O's FO has to make this choice. They don't have to go willy-nilly with spending. But they will have to do some spending.

I do not want to pay more. I do not accept Mediocrity. The Baltimore Orioles are one of the best teams in wither league since 2012.

Our job is to find the sweet spot between a competitive team and affordable family entertainment for our fans.?

Full interview on the link:

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/10/06/duquette-previews-2016-orioles-pitching-pleasing-the-fans/

Listened to it. I have no problem with that statement. Would you rather he had said "We want to field the best team we can, even if only rich white men can afford to come by themselves or with their buddies, and the team was full of unsavory mercenaries(see Paplebon and his crotch grab, ARoid, ect,) it's not suitable to be watched by women and children." An average working family of 4 from B'more could not afford to go to games at Yankee Stadium very often.

Oh, you mean Dan doesn't intend to do whatever it takes to make this ball club the best team in the league?
Huh?

Doing "whatever if takes" isn't an option in the real world. Just like you can't actually give 110%.

The Yankees do what it takes to get to the next level. Some folks believe that there is a way to buy happiness.

There is nothing new here. The O's have worked within a budget for years and years. The budget is driven by the amount of revenue they take in. The payroll is a by product of the budget. Its been that way for a long, long time.

Dan got his job with the O's because he said he knew how to win with a small budget. He had experience and success with that with the Expos. And he has done it pretty well for 4 years.

Fans don't like when Dan trades draft picks or minor leaguers to help the major league team or to stay in budget. However, that is Dan doing exactly what he needs to do to keep the O's competitive and in budget.

How did you not know this already?

Angelos takes pride in having reasonable ticket prices.

I wasn't talking about ticket prices in this post. I was talking about Duquette's quotes about "family entertainment" as opposed to doing what they can about fielding a competitive team.

Listened to it. I have no problem with that statement. Would you rather he had said "We want to field the best team we can, even if only rich white men can afford to come by themselves or with their buddies, and the team was full of unsavory mercenaries(see Paplebon and his crotch grab, ARoid, ect,) it's not suitable to be watched by women and children." An average working family of 4 from B'more could not afford to go to games at Yankee Stadium very often.
Why is it that posters make extreme assumptions about positions being posted? So ""We want to field the best team we can," means "only rich white men can afford to come by themselves or with their buddies, and the team [is] full of unsavory mercenaries"? I don't think so.

Some fans are concerned about long-term mediocrity with the "budget" excuse. There is a medium between Yankee Stadium type prices and expecting fans to accept and enjoy mediocre, non-competitive teams. I believe that the O's FO can have reasonable ticket prices and still field the best team that they can.

Why is it that posters make extreme assumptions about positions being posted? So ""We want to field the best team we can," means "only rich white men can afford to come by themselves or with their buddies, and the team [is] full of unsavory mercenaries"? I don't think so.

Some fans are concerned about long-term mediocrity with the "budget" excuse. There is a medium between Yankee Stadium type prices and expecting fans to accept and enjoy mediocre, non-competitive teams. I believe that the O's FO can have reasonable ticket prices and still field the best team that they can.

Isn't that what DD is saying. Finding that medium. You are truly obdurate.

Isn't that what DD is saying. Finding that medium. You are truly obdurate.
No, not obdurate (wow, what a big word! I had to use Google to find out its meaning). Some people make extreme, inaccurate assumptions about peoples' opinions on some issues.

Archived