Matt Joyce

Spy Fox

Matt Joyce had a terrible year in 2015. OPS in the .500s in 284 PAs for the Angels.

But before this year he had been at least decent for five years in a row, putting up 9 WAR from 2010-2014 with Tampa Bay. Has some power. .242/.335/.426/.761 career line, and is 31. He's a LH corner outfield/DH, and will be cheaper than Parra.

Would you target him? Could likely be had on a cheap ($4-6M) one year deal. Not someone you want to rely on very much but he could be valuable as a part time player. I think he could complement Pearce nicely.

All comes down to the scouting reports and health. Why did his ISO fall 100 points over the past 4-5 years? Why was his BABIP .215? Combination of shifts, fewer line drives, more GBs? He might be a buy-low guy, or he could be a almost retired guy.
Minor league deal maybe. He's not as good as the immortal Travis Snider.

He's not as good as Travis. He's probably done too.

Or Manny Ramirez to the second largest free agent signing of all time

Or the countless guys he signed for almost nothing in '14 and '12 that helped push them to the playoffs like Nate McLouth, Joe Saunders, Miguel Gonzalez, Nelson Cruz, Ryan Webb, De Aza, Delmon... It's awesome to take a team to the playoffs, twice, for the first time since the '90s and now people don't trust you to sign a backup outfielder.

Joyce from 2010-2014 was Luke Scott Lite.

Scott's MLB career was over just a couple years after being pretty good, though. Is the same happening to Joyce? Or is he in for a rebound.

As I expressed in the OP, I at least think it'd be worth a shot.

Joyce from 2010-2014 was Luke Scott Lite.

Scott's MLB career was over just a couple years after being pretty good, though. Is the same happening to Joyce? Or is he in for a rebound.

As I expressed in the OP, I at least think it'd be worth a shot.

Luke Scott's last good season was at 32. Joyce was 30 last season. A 30 year-old having a bad season is not necessarily a harbinger of doom and Luke Scott falling off a cliff at 32 is more the exception than the rule.

Archived