Should O's sign Nori Aoki? (Giants decline option)

mdbdotcom

He arguably outplayed Markakis last year when healthy due to his defense being better (though still below average). It comes down to whether you think there will be lingering effects from the concussion. The Giants were in the best position to make that determination and declined the option so that suggests that he may not be 100 percent next season.

Or that the Giants figure at his age - he's likely going to decline - and there's only limited upside there to begin with. Either way, the Gintz declining can't be a good sign about Aoki.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's incredibly horrible. I am tired of those types of outfielders. Yes. That includes Nolan.

I don't get it. I've seen you spread doom and gloom about how disappointing this offseason will be but you still think a guy like Aoki is less than worthy. I don't want to derail the thread but I'd like to see what your idea of a realistic offseason would look like.

I don't get it. I've seen you spread doom and gloom about how disappointing this offseason will be but you still think a guy like Aoki is less than worthy. I don't want to derail the thread but I'd like to see what your idea of a realistic offseason would look like.

Sign Heyward or Upton (preferrably Heyward)

Sign Howie Kendrick

Keep Pearce or Reimold for the other OF position

Infield is Kendrick, Schoop, Manny, and Hardy.

Outfield is Jones, Heyward/Upton, Reimold/Pearce, and the Cuban OF.

Chen or Kazmir and a AJ Happ type.

If the plan is to resign Davis ....then give me Dexter Fowler and Howie Kendrick.

Move Manny to short, Schoop to 3B , and Kendrick at 2B. I'm fine with Kazmir and a middling SP addition. Also Reimold at the other OF slot.

If they aren't resigning Davis

Give me Heyward, and Kendrick. Keep Chen and a middling SP.

Move Schoop to 1B , Kendrick at 2B, Heyward and Reimold and hope JJs wheels don't fall off this year.

Try to give ODay 4/22 and hope you can keep him.

Both Fowler and Kendrick will get QO's. Your non Davis plan comes to close to 60 M added payroll. If you are going to be that ridiculous with money why not just sign Price, Upton,and Heyward, keep Chen, Davis, O'Day, and Pearce. :rolleyestf:

I had a thread where I talked of Rasmus and Garcia and Domonic Brown and maybe O'Day and Pedro Alvarez and possibly JA Happ. I would be glad to have Price or Cueto and Cespedes as well. I want give up no picks so I want to sign no one that requires compensation or any of our own that would cause us to forfeit the pick we get back for them. It's my version of buying and selling.

I want to Keep Davis and Pearce no matter what. If we do that, Aoki could be a cheap alternative to other guys and better than Urrutia/Alvarez. Ideally we lowered Parra's value so much that he might sign a 3/15 deal.

Davis at 6/120 works for me ...but I think he gets much more. I have little interest in Pearce. I'd take Parra at 3/15... Otherwise he's a overpay

Both Fowler and Kendrick will get QO's. Your non Davis plan comes to close to 60 M added payroll. If you are going to be that ridiculous with money why not just sign Price, Upton,and Heyward, keep Chen, Davis, O'Day, and Pearce. :rolleyestf:

Another quality response!:rolleyes:

I don't know why I waste my time...

If Angelos really wants to go for it due to his age I'd be asking for a 10-15% increase over this year. So 130 ish or so

I'd go at Davis/Heyward/Upton and get one as close to 20 as possible.

Kendrick at 3/24

Kazmir at 4/52 or Chen

Parra at 3/15

.....probably can't keep ODay, not interested in paying Pearce 5 million. Trade Gonzalez and get the Korean 1B if he can be had cheap.

We will have 4 picks so losing one to a QO is no big deal..

Another quality response!:rolleyes:

I don't know why I waste my time...

If Angelos really wants to go for it due to his age I'd be asking for a 10-15% increase over this year. So 130 ish or so

I'd go at Davis/Heyward/Upton and get one as close to 20 as possible.

Kendrick at 3/24

Kazmir at 4/52 or Chen

Parra at 3/15

.....probably can't keep ODay, not interested in paying Pearce 5 million. Trade Gonzalez and get the Korean 1B if he can be had cheap.

We will have 4 picks so losing one to a QO is no big deal..

You're not getting any of those players at those prices, they'll all be more expensive. Also you will lose two picks with Heyward/Davis etc, and Kendrick, 3 if you keep Chen. And we'll be lucky if the payroll stays at 120 M let alone increases 15%. Try and keep it real.

You're not getting any of those players at those prices, they'll all be more expensive. Also you will lose two picks with Heyward/Davis etc, and Kendrick, 3 if you keep Chen. And we'll be lucky if the payroll stays at 120 M let alone increases 15%. Try and keep it real.

I hear your criticism ...what's your plan genius?

I hear your criticism ...what's your plan genius?
Don't spend on Davis, use the money to sign OBP guys, like Span, Morneau, Zobrist, and Jaso. Health risks and age are mitigated by short term contracts and lower AAV. Sign the best SP available without a QO you can buy for 15 M per. We'll know who that could be by tomorrow evening. Non tender Matusz and sign Pearce. That should have you at around 120 M. You can jiggle the budget some by back loading contracts and deferring money if need be. Explore trading Britton for someone like AJ Reed. You could save 5 M on that trade and use it towards resigning O'Day.

Don't spend on Davis, use the money to sign OBP guys, like Span, Morneau, Zobrist, and Jaso. Health risks and age are mitigated by short term contracts and lower AAV. Sign the best SP available without a QO you can buy for 15 M per. We'll know who that could be by tomorrow evening. Non tender Matusz and sign Pearce. That should have you at around 120 M. You can jiggle the budget some by back loading contracts and deferring money if need be. Explore trading Britton for someone like AJ Reed. You could save 5 M on that trade and use it towards resigning O'Day.

So Jaso will cost you 5 million for 70 games

Span only played 60 games and is a 10 million player...what is the injury he had and possible reoccurance?

Zobrist is a solid player but 3 years around 8 million for 130 ish games.

Morneau for 2-3 years at 7-8 million and just as likely to play 30 games as 130

And 5 million for 100 games for Pearce

Who is playing and what are you paying when these guys spend prolonged periods on the DL.

I'm unimpressed to say the least ...rather sign Heyward and Kazmir/Chen and fill with minor leaguers than waste all the money on the middling walking wounded list you've come up with!

So Jaso will cost you 5 million for 70 games

Span only played 60 games and is a 10 million player...what is the injury he had and possible reoccurance?

Zobrist is a solid player but 3 years around 8 million for 130 ish games.

Morneau for 2-3 years at 7-8 million and just as likely to play 30 games as 130

And 5 million for 100 games for Pearce

Who is playing and what are you paying when these guys spend prolonged periods on the DL.

I'm unimpressed to say the least ...rather sign Heyward and Kazmir/Chen and fill with minor leaguers than waste all the money on the middling walking wounded list you've come up with!

You keep pulling these numbers out of your service entrance to try and make an argument. Jaso Is not costing 5 M and Span is not coating 10M, if they are you go elsewhere. No one is giving Morneau more than one year. It's lame. Then you counter by saying you would prefer to do what is totally unrealistic. Heyward is going to cost 20 M+ and Chen is 15 M +. You aren't going to do much about 1B, DH, or LF. I'm sorry but I can't take you seriously. You just seem like someone who likes to whine. In another thread you say we won't even have 120 M payroll and we should blow everything up. In this one you say we should increase the budget and spend 50-60 M on high priced FA with QO. Make up you mind if you have one.

Archived