Sign O'Day; Trade Britton

wildcard

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was actually thinking this exact thought today.

I think one of the weakness w this FO has been a lack of being proactive. The perfect example is Jimmy Johnson. After 12, he had a good amount of trade value. They held onto him for another year, he pitched about like he always had, and his salary predictably went up to a range they weren't comfortable paying for a reliever. If that was the case they should have traded him after 12 and gotten some value, rather than basically give him away a year later.

I'd hate to see the same thing happen w Britton.

That said, this is dependent on obviously, two things:

1) What kind of contract does O'day get?

And 2) What can you get back for Britton?

But it's definitely something worth looking at.

I was actually thinking this exact thought today.

I think one of the weakness w this FO has been a lack of being proactive. The perfect example is Jimmy Johnson. After 12, he had a good amount of trade value. They held onto him for another year, he pitched about like he always had, and his salary predictably went up to a range they weren't comfortable paying for a reliever. If that was the case they should have traded him after 12 and gotten some value, rather than basically give him away a year later.

I'd hate to see the same thing happen w Britton.

That said, this is dependent on obviously, two things:

1) What kind of contract does O'day get?

And 2) What can you get back for Britton?

But it's definitely something worth looking at.

Pro-Active like Billy Beane was in trading Cespedes, and Donaldson? There was no way that Johnson was being traded after the first winning/playoff team in a decade and a half. Even if it was the "smart" thing. Even Duquette would not have had the authority.

Pro-Active like Billy Beane was in trading Cespedes, and Donaldson? There was no way that Johnson was being traded after the first winning/playoff team in a decade and a half. Even if it was the "smart" thing. Even Duquette would not have had the authority.

But I thought Peter Angelos was a great, great owner now who had left all his past mistakes behind and didn't meddle anymore?

But I thought Peter Angelos was a great, great owner now who had left all his past mistakes behind and didn't meddle anymore?

Who said he was great? How is that meddling anyway. An owner does get to have some say about his 120 million dollar investment I would assume. He's also 86. And there might be someone in ownership other than him that gets a vote on something that drastic. I would assume. I know ownership told Roch today that they were interested in pursuing Chris Davis still even after hearing what Heyman says that Boras is looking for.

Who said he was great? How is that meddling anyway. An owner does get to have some say about his 120 million dollar investment I would assume. He's also 86. And there might be someone in ownership other than him that gets a vote on something that drastic. I would assume. I know ownership told Roch today that they were interested in pursuing Chris Davis still even after hearing what Heyman says that Boras is looking for.

You! LOL. You've repeatedly said when people criticize Angelos, that that was all in the past.

Trading one reliever isn't "drastic."

So DD can't trade a player w/o Angelos' approval.

He can't spend what's allotted for each club internationally, because of Angelos' constraints.

He can't spend what's allotted to us in the draft either apparently, because of Angelos' constraints.

Doesn't sound to me like Angelos has left his meddling/micromanaging ways behind.

You! LOL. You've repeatedly said when people criticize Angelos, that that was all in the past.

Trading one reliever isn't "drastic."

He can't spend what's allotted for each club internationally, because of Angelos' constraints.

He can't spend what's allotted to us in the draft either apparently, because of Angelos' constraints.

Doesn't sound to me like Angelos has left his meddling/micromanaging ways behind.

Never said anything like that. Jim Johnson saved 50 games for the first Orioles team that had a winning record in almost 2 decades. You can say you would have traded him. But then, you would never have gotten a GM job in the first place. It's not about ANgelos changing. It's about reasonably good folks in the front office again. Like when Gillick was here. And he was the last one that had any skills until Andy took over.

Also, in the bolded, the Orioles always spend up to their slot caps under this system.

The international constraint were all Andy.

I bet an owner anywhere would have a say in where his most popular players go after not fielding a winning team for a fan base in 15 years.

You are just throwing stones. And several smart folks advocated trading that 50 save closer. But no GMs would have or could have.

If we could get O'Day at 3/22.5 and make him the closer, I'd definitely pursue the "trade Britton" option.

My thoughts exactly. I'm afraid they are off on how much O'day will get. He could get close to 3/27 or maybe even a 4th year. But if we can get him for 3/24 then we should do that all day and trade Britton.

Trading Britton should be the first domino and not the last. That way you can get the best package of players for him regardless of postions. Right now we have a ton of holes. It would create a bigger market than just trading him for one specific position.

I've been saying the Astros are a good fit for months. They have a need in the pen. A logjam on their 40 man roster. You could trade Britton to them and get something like Tucker, Singleton and SP. Something in that ballpark. That would give us cheap young options in LF/RF, 1b/dh, and a #4/5 SP.

Re sign O'day and Pearce(LF/1B). Acquire Singleton(1B), Tucker(RF) and Velasquez(SP). Suddenly we don't have so many holes. Then make a run at Davis and Kazmir. The thing I want to see us do this offseason is spend on quality and not quantity. Quantity gets you "dead" money like last year.

I bet an owner anywhere would have a say in where his most popular players go after not fielding a winning team for a fan base in 15 years.

You are just throwing stones. And several smart folks advocated trading that 50 save closer. But no GMs would have or could have.

Then how'd he manage to get permission to trade him a year later coming off another 50 save season?

Damn pesky facts.

Never said anything like that. Jim Johnson saved 50 games for the first Orioles team that had a winning record in almost 2 decades. You can say you would have traded him. But then, you would never have gotten a GM job in the first place. It's not about ANgelos changing. It's about reasonably good folks in the front office again. Like when Gillick was here. And he was the last one that had any skills until Andy took over.

Also, in the bolded, the Orioles always spend up to their slot caps under this system.

The international constraint were all Andy.

Then why's he traded away draft picks the last few years?

I'd like to say Billy boy would have done it but he was the sucker who traded for him the year after.

I'd also like to say the Rays but they have been guilty of over-paying for closers as well.

It is possible one of the 30 would have done it, but I can't say who it would have been.

Archived