Wieters is staying with the Orioles for 2016

VeveJones007

I'm okay with this. He is finally healthy and he will certainly be motivated. These are the risks you take if you want a high pick and its calculated assuming that the player will take the offer, as was with Markakis and he was not deemed worth the money so there was no offer.

I still think the O's can put together a nice offseason. I do not think Davis was a particularly attainable goal anyways so this just turns the page from a pipe dream.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay ....

Let me be the first to say I was wrong. Ridicule awaited:)

I'm good with Matt returning I guess. But is it a platoon thing with Caleb,'the DH role or Possibly 1B?

If we can find a starter for 14 that still leaves 21 million for Upton!

So what do you do at the other OF corner, 1B, the bullpen, and extending Manny?

For the record, I thought the QO to Wieters was fine. I just think him having excepted it is a complete disaster.

Unless you make a series of other deals to fill other holes since you now have a surplus of talent at catcher.

And if there is one thing the Orioles do its structure and execute intricate offseason plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was about to log in to post this exact same thing. I think behind closed doors, the FO is scrambling now to figure out how to recover. I think they were probably betting on odds of about 10 to 1 that he wouldn't take the QO. I like Matt, but of all this year's FA, he was the one I wanted back the least.

Unfortunately, that illustrates the problem

Okay ....

Let me be the first to say I was wrong. Ridicule awaited:)

I'm good with Matt returning I guess. But is it a platoon thing with Caleb,'the DH role or Possibly 1B?

If we can find a starter for 14 that still leaves 21 million for Upton! Or does it? Otherwise there is no way to add a good starter and keep Davis ... I mean Upton

You think we are spending 14 million on a starter, 21 on Upton and filling our other needs after just handing MW 15 million?

I saw another poster say it should not affect there spending, they can trade him in June. What franchise is that person been watching?

This 15 million is pretty significant, its a big chunk of the resources they had to fill holes now being spent at position we had covered.

How is there any way to shine that turd? Please spare me the ....well gosh....he is swell guy....stuff.

I'm okay with this. He is finally healthy and he will certainly be motivated. These are the risks you take if you want a high pick and its calculated assuming that the player will take the offer, as was with Markakis and he was not deemed worth the money so there was no offer.

I still think the O's can put together a nice offseason. I do not think Davis was a particularly attainable goal anyways so this just turns the page from a pipe dream.

I don't know. You are right, Wieters is a reliable L/R bat that fills a hole in the lineup. I would rather have his bat than, say, Parra. We were going to have to fill that hole somehow. But this establishes a very low ceiling to what we will be able to accomplish this offseason. I have a feeling we are looking at Kazmir or Happ (not both) and a couple of Travis Snider type bats. That might get us to .500. Might. Hard to imagine any scenario that gets us into contention with NYY and BOS.

The argument that CJ and his cost/performance profile will be wasted now will be somewhat dependent on how they use MW. I would expect they use him at DH a great deal to keep his bat in the lineup and him fresh, particularly if they are more dependent on him to produce offensively with CD leaving. I really don't see CJ only playing 40 games with this.

Again as someone pointed out to me, he is a below average DH and 1B. His only real value and really CJ's is at the same position.

So what do you do at the other OF corner, 1B, the bullpen, and extending Manny?

For the record, I thought the QO to Wieters was fine. I just think him having excepted it is a complete disaster.

Upton , Jones, and Parra/or comparable (trade Gonzalez clears payroll room) with Alvaez, and Urrta as extra OFs.

Weiters ,Clevenger, Joseph to rotate at C, DH, and 1B add Reimold to 1B Dh OF.

Add a bullpen are by trade or the minors ..

Wieters has been worth 2.67 fWAR per 500 PAs over his career. At $7M per win in free agency he's worth $19M/year. Compared to his established career production you can argue that $15.8M is a bit of a bargain.

Just stop. You are being silly now. Using a career average of fWAR to determine the value of a 30-year old catcher who hasn't been worth more than that since 26-years old is bordering on ludicrous. I know you know better and I'm starting to be convinced someone has hacked your account because you are too smart for this kind of stuff.

"I wouldn't say it was an easy decision because when you play for six-plus years and get to free agency, it's something where every player dreams of being able to see what's out there. But at the same time, I wasn't able to play the whole year healthy and a lot of things came into it, and I felt glad to be able to come back to Baltimore and in a clubhouse that I love. I love the guys in the clubhouse, the staff and being able to be in a city I love and both my wife and son love being a part of."

"I think we were on the same page the whole time. We sort of just see what would be best for my family and I. I think we were both in agreement that to be able to play a full year healthy and be able to catch as many games as I want to catch is something that I want to go out there and do next year. And to be able to do it in Baltimore felt to me like a perfect fit."

"I wouldn't say it was an easy decision because when you play for six-plus years and get to free agency, it's something where every player dreams of being able to see what's out there. But at the same time, I wasn't able to play the whole year healthy and a lot of things came into it, and I felt glad to be able to come back to Baltimore and in a clubhouse that I love. I love the guys in the clubhouse, the staff and being able to be in a city I love and both my wife and son love being a part of."

I wanted to leave but since I was hurt the market wasn't strong.

At least he admits it in a roundabout way.

Archived