Possible Solutions to the Wieters problem

Aristotelian

No thanks. I'll take Wieters for another year and the comp pick next year over just wasting $3MM. And I was hoping that he'd decline it.

After him accepting the QO this year, I don't know how anyone could think getting a comp pick next year is reasonable.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After him accepting the QO this year, I don't know how anyone could think getting a comp pick next year is reasonable.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Let's say he catches 120 games and puts up a 3 WAR season or better.

That isn't worth a QO?

Yes I know that is far from a lock to happen.

Oh this is the part where questioning the Orioles results in you listing screw ups by other teams? I remember all the mud slung at KC in 2014...that worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True. I don't think all of it was part of a crafted plan. They certainly did sustain their strong play though. I think sometimes plans are as likely to blow up as accidents are to occur.

Oh this is the part where questioning the Orioles results in you listing screw ups by other teams? I remember all the mud slung at KC in 2014...that worked out.

I guess we can all agree that the Red Sox screwed up the most. And the Royals never mortgaged their future. Pretty smart. I just never thought Moore and Yost could pull that off. A lot of rejected parts came through in a real big way for them.

3 pages in this thread and I haent seen the problem posted yet. Did I miss something?

It should be self-evident but my assumption was that the problem has been addressed on multiple other threads. The question is now that he has accepted the QO is there anything we can do besides simply paying the $15.8M and moving on.

If it needs to be explicit, the problem is we have $15M committed to a player that is likely to be worth less than that, and plays a position that we have covered with a cheap alternative. It effectively prevents us from fielding a competitive team in 2016.

It should be self-evident but my assumption was that the problem has been addressed on multiple other threads. The question is now that he has accepted the QO is there anything we can do besides simply paying the $15.8M and moving on.

If it needs to be explicit, the problem is we have $15M committed to a player that is likely to be worth less than that, and plays a position that we have covered with a cheap alternative. It effectively prevents us from fielding a competitive team in 2016.

I think more then just the Wieters contract is to blame.

Pretty disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

I never said that. But our only hope of competing in 2016 is to make the most of our uncommitted dollars. Committing about half our available budget to a C when we already have Joseph is devastating.

Best case scenario, we maybe find a decent replacement for Chen. We are looking at the same team as last year minus Davis.

True. Odds were stacked well ahead of this morning. Curious to see what this team looks like in two years. I don't see any sort of core/identity, long term as of today.

True. Odds were stacked well ahead of this morning. Curious to see what this team looks like in two years. I don't see any sort of core/identity, long term as of today.

I think we all have concerns. And certainly hopes.

Yep. They stumbled into something they weren't expecting, and put all their cards into trying to keep it going as long as possible. Which is fine, but we still never saw an actual "building" of something, and still haven't.

That is exactly the problem. All good comparisons. We can carry a couple of those guys but the fewer the better. There is no way DD was planning on this and no way that this is a good thing for our chances in 2016. It is not a multi-year disaster because it is only one year, but I really don't see any plausible pathway for us to contend. Maybe Gausman magically turns into Kershaw?

Maybe Gausman turns into a couple of players from some other team as DD shifts into damage control mode.

I never said that. But our only hope of competing in 2016 is to make the most of our uncommitted dollars. Committing about half our available budget to a C when we already have Joseph is devastating.

Best case scenario, we maybe find a decent replacement for Chen. We are looking at the same team as last year minus Davis.

You did say that. You said "It effectively prevents us from fielding a competitive team in 2016."

I think the starting rotation and lack of impact players in the high minors are much larger impediments to fielding a competitive team next season.

Archived