Any Interest in a Reunion with Markakis?

Bahama O's Fan

This is what Roch proposes in his latest post.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2015/11/would-the-orioles-pursue-a-reunion-with-nick-markakis.html

Now, I ask this question, why would we want to do this? We didn't want to pay him this money last season and now we might be willing to pay this, plus give up talent to get him? You can't be serious. If anything, we should have signed him last offseason and then tried to trade him this one.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost anything is palatable on the right terms. Markakis was worth 1.5-2 wins last year. So the three remaining years on his deal should be paying for 1.5, 1, and 0.5 wins. Three total. But you can get equivalent production to 1 win or less for $500k. So let's say the fair contract would be $10M plus $500k (x2), for a total of $11M. The deal would have to be Markakis plus $22M for a random organizational guy.

Well, he was a 2-ish win player at 31 (1.6 fWAR, 1.9 rWAR). You have to assume he'll decline from there, the only question is how quickly.

He's kind of "neck and neck"* with Reimold right? :scratchchinhmm: #WARwhatisitgoodfor

*Did you see what I did there?

Almost anything is palatable on the right terms. Markakis was worth 1.5-2 wins last year. So the three remaining years on his deal should be paying for 1.5, 1, and 0.5 wins. Three total. But you can get equivalent production to 1 win or less for $500k. So let's say the fair contract would be $10M plus $500k (x2), for a total of $11M. The deal would have to be Markakis plus $22M for a random organizational guy.

Sounds like a good deal to me, if he's healthy let's say he gives us 1.3 wins per over the next two years. Doesn't look like much but compared to last year:

1.3 Markakis

0.9 Snider

0.1 Lough

0.1 Young

0.1 Urrutia

-0.1 Reimold

-0.2 De Aza

-0.4 Lake

-0.4 Pearce

-1.1 Parra (yeowch)

That deal would also mitigate the Wieters money and if the Orioles find a second cheap OF or 1B option (Ozuna, Jay, etc) they can still go after a top position FA and one SP.

Sounds like a good deal to me, if he's healthy let's say he gives us 1.3 wins per over the next two years. Doesn't look like much but compared to last year:

1.3 Markakis

0.9 Snider

0.1 Lough

0.1 Young

0.1 Urrutia

-0.1 Reimold

-0.2 De Aza

-0.4 Lake

-0.4 Pearce

-1.1 Parra (yeowch)

That deal would also mitigate the Wieters money and if the Orioles find a second cheap OF or 1B option (Ozuna, Jay, etc) they can still go after a top position FA and one SP.

If it had only been these guys...well...we might have won!

0.9 Snider

0.1 Lough

0.1 Young

0.1 Urrutia

-0.1 Reimold

He's kind of "neck and neck"* with Reimold right? :scratchchinhmm: #WARwhatisitgoodfor

*Did you see what I did there?

Har har. I'll do a WAR-less comparison then.

Reimold - 247/344/394, 101 OPS+

Kakes - 296/370/376, 110 OPS+

Both had subpar defense. Also, Reimold was a platooned right hander. Kakes was a full time lefty.

It's all about the money. I was not in favor of a Markakis contract and I wouldn't want him at his current numbers. Atlanta would have to soak some salary.

Archived