Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

Most similar?

Ginger Beaumont

Buttercup Dickerson

Patsy Donovan

Willie Wilson

Clyde Milan

And he played in the greatest offensive era in baseball.

84 OPS+ Career. He had years in the fifties and sixties an only two seasons over 100.

When your comps are named Ginger, Buttercup, and Patsy, I think it's time to give up baseball!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OPS+ is not a fair measure of evaluation for players who typically bat 1 or 2 and even 9 (or 8 in the the NL where real baseball rules are in operation) and whose primary job would be be to get on base and score. By using OPS or OPS+ you are factoring in power as a measure of player whose standard should be OBP. A player who can muster a pedestrian .311 OBP but have a decent 115 OPS+ is more apt to drive in runs as a primary function.

And WAR is a nice stat for comparison purposes but it is not scientific, because it cannot be tested. I understand it and it's uses, but to discount a provable stat like a .306 batting average in favor of a 1.7 oWAR, which is unprovable, is quite disturbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty much all of this post is wrong.

OPS+ is not a fair measure of evaluation for players who typically bat 1 or 2 and even 9 (or 8 in the the NL where real baseball rules are in operation) and whose primary job would be be to get on base and score. By using OPS or OPS+ you are factoring in power as a measure of player whose standard should be OBP. A player who can muster a pedestrian .311 OBP but have a decent 115 OPS+ is more apt to drive in runs as a primary function.

And WAR is a nice stat for comparison purposes but it is not scientific, because it cannot be tested. I understand it and it's uses, but to discount a provable stat like a .306 batting average in favor of a 1.7 oWAR, which is unprovable, is quite disturbing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OPS+ is a fair stat to evaluate all batters. The "role" of all batters is to not make an out and to get on base. You don't get to pick which batters don't need to hit the ball hard or often. It's part of the job of being one of the 750 MLB players.

WAR has a component of defense which even the strongest supporters know is less than perfect. It's still a good basis for evaluating players.

OPS+ is a fair stat to evaluate all batters. The "role" of all batters is to not make an out and to get on base. You don't get to pick which batters don't need to hit the ball hard or often. It's part of the job of being one of the 750 MLB players.

WAR has a component of defense which even the strongest supporters know is less than perfect. It's still a good basis for evaluating players.

Who was it that tried to convince us all to switch exclusively to wOBA?

I think I'd remember if it was you.

I do like wOBA and think it is a bit more complete then the various flavors of OPS.

I think it may have been CA-ORIOLE, but I like James' RC & RC+ which Tango improved upon with wRC.

Weighted Runs Created (wRC) is an improved version of Bill James? Runs Created (RC) statistic, which attempted to quantify a player?s total offensive value and measure it by runs. In Runs Created, instead of looking at a player?s line and listing out all the details (e.g. 23 2B, 15 HR, 55 BB, 110 K, 19 SB, 5 CS), the information is synthesized into one metric in order to say, ?Player X was worth 24 runs to his team last year.? While the idea was sound, James? formula has since been superseded by Tom Tango?s wRC , which is based off Weighted On-Base Average (wOBA).

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/offense/wrc/

It's all about the runs, fellas.

Yikes. Something that can be said about no player in major league history: you're no Juan Pierre, but you're still a hell of a ballplayer.

Yeah. Kind of incredible huh? Juan Pierre was one of the worst value signings ever in the history of baseball.

Could this be true...if so :beerchug1:

I was told yesterday that fans spotted Upton in Baltimore with "a couple of suits," which I'm assuming were being worn by his companions. I checked with numerous people in the organization, including a few suits who I assumed would know, and they had no idea whether Upton .

Could this be true...if so :beerchug1:

I was told yesterday that fans spotted Upton in Baltimore with "a couple of suits," which I'm assuming were being worn by his companions. I checked with numerous people in the organization, including a few suits who I assumed would know, and they had no idea whether Upton .

He's going to Angelos' house to watch tomorrow's Redskins game on TV. ;)

Most similar?

Ginger Beaumont

Buttercup Dickerson

Patsy Donovan

Willie Wilson

Clyde Milan

And he played in the greatest offensive era in baseball.

84 OPS+ Career. He had years in the fifties and sixties an only two seasons over 100.

Those are interesting players, and at least superficially similar to Pierre. Dickerson's plate discipline reached Pierre-like levels mainly because he played in an era where it took 6, 7, 8ish balls for a walk. Beaumont, relatively to his peers, was a better player than Pierre, but fizzled out before he could build a HOF type resume. In '02 he was one of the top 10 players in baseball, although he wasn't Ed Delehanty or Honus.

Willie Wilson was also better than Pierre up until about 1983 or '84. For a few years there Wilson was a plus outfielder who hit over .300 and stole 80 bases at a 85-90% clip.

Clyde Milan just might have snuck into the Hall had he been born a few years later. He was a good player in the deadball era, but had his highest batting average in his 30s, in 1920, after the live ball came in. A number of players like Zach Wheat had big resurgences in their 30s with the new ball.

When your comps are named Ginger, Buttercup, and Patsy, I think it's time to give up baseball!

Ginger probably had red hair, Patsy was a common Irish nickname. Don't know about Buttercup... Many of the nicknames in the encyclopedias probably weren't used on a regular basis by friends or teammates, they were inventions of the press that have stuck. Some may have been more common than the guy's given name, some may have resulted in a punch in the nose if you called them that to their face.

Archived