Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

I can hear Boris now CD his 3X as many home runs as Heyward 8/200 is a Bargain

In all seriousness, it seems reasonable to think that the Davis negotiations have been held up, in part, by the Cardinals' pursuit of Heyward. If St. Louis fails to land Heyward, they'll constitute one of the "mystery teams" for Davis.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In all seriousness, it seems reasonable to think that the Davis negotiations have been held up, in part, by the Cardinals' pursuit of Heyward. If St. Louis fails to land Heyward, they'll constitute one of the "mystery teams" for Davis.

In all seriousness that makes me want the Orioles to be a "mystery team" on Heyward. A successful one.

In all seriousness that makes me want the Orioles to be a "mystery team" on Heyward. A successful one.

If he follows CoC's reasoning and agitates for an opt-out clause (i.e., the O's wouldn't have to pay for his age 30+ years when his speed/defense starts to turn south), I'd be fine with it. Inasmuch as I can be "fine" with the amounts of money we're discussing. I find myself shaking my head IRL almost every time I post these days, and not for the usual reasons (e.g., I've just said something asinine).

That sounds insane. Although what McCheese predicted (8/160) sounds low. I'm going to guess it's somewhere in the middle. How about 9/207 (23 mil AAV).

Once you get past the HR thing it looks very reasonable.

He's entering his age 26 season and has accrued an average of over five wins a season.

You could make a case that 10/240 is an underpay.

At 8 million a win if he goes 5/5/5/5/4.5/4.0/3.5/3.0/2.5/2.0 that's 316 million. And we know a win is going to be a lot more then 8 million in a decade.

Once you get past the HR thing it looks very reasonable.

He's entering his age 26 season and has accrued an average of over five wins a season.

You could make a case that 10/240 is an underpay.

At 8 million a win if he goes 5/5/5/5/4.5/4.0/3.5/3.0/2.5/2.0 that's 316 million. And we know a win is going to be a lot more then 8 million in a decade.

If you assume a very conservative 5% inflation of wins per year you get 10/383. At 10% you're at 10/467. But there seems to be an implied cap there somewhere. Otherwise Trout or Machado would just get several franchises to do with as they please.

That's rumor that Jayson Stark tweeted.

On mobile, can't post it. Feel free to google. ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing talk that Jason Heyward isn't looking for 10 years at $20M/year. More like $24M/year for 8 or 9 years.</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank you

10/240 with an opt out.

That might go even higher if they defer some of the money.

That sounds insane. Although what McCheese predicted (8/160) sounds low. I'm going to guess it's somewhere in the middle. How about 9/207 (23 mil AAV).
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hearing talk that Jason Heyward isn't looking for 10 years at $20M/year. More like $24M/year for 8 or 9 years.</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">December 10, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thank you

My offer was low. Just call it an Angelos offer.... For each additional year add $30MM and you get the market value.

Archived