5 Reasons Why Signing Jason Heyward Makes Sense

mdbdotcom

The problem is that you aren't the only one to recognize his attributes. Guys in NewYork, Boston, Chicago and LA are thinking the same thing. If we pay huge money to a free agent, it should be exactly what Heyward is, a 26 yr old about to enter his prime. But, someone will overpay and I highly doubt it will be the Orioles.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A 10 year contract is just plain stupid. I might be wrong, but somewhere, in some parallel universe maybe, it worked out for someone, sometime, I'm sure.

I'd like to have him at 8 ....but 10 is not stupid for this guy. He likely to age well and be productive.

I wonder if you will be against that kind of contract for Manny when he's due. Because that is what it will take!

I don't understand all the love for Heyward. I mean he is a good ball player, but no way I would give him the years and money being suggested here. He has ok stats, 10-15 HR, 20 SB, .350 OBP, but has not had an OPS over .800 since 2012. Is this the kind of player that is really worth $20M+ per year for 10 years?

I'm with you. He frankly reminds me of Markakis at the same point in his career. And I don't trust defensive WAR enough to call him a 6 win player.

There is an assumption that if DD cannot get get CD inked he is going to have that money to spend elsewhere. That seems like a big leap. I am not convinced if they offer CD 20 million and he turns it down, that DD will just have those resources to spend elsewhere. I am I the only one who wonders about this. I see a whole lot of people assuming that DD will have the CD money regardless. Remind me, who did we spend the money offered to Texiera on?

I don't assume anything of the kind. However, I don't know that the Tex situation is a great indicator of what may happen here. The O's made it pretty clear from the start that they were going against their usual rules because they deemed him a special case, so I don't think there were any expectations that they'd spend the money elsewhere if Tex didn't sign with us. Also, by the time Tex signed (1/6/09), I'm not even sure what other high-priced players were still on the market. The top hitters that winter were Manny Ramirez, Raul Ibanez, Milton Bradley and Rafael Furcal. Only ManRam and Bradley were still on the market when Tex was signed.

I don't assume anything of the kind. However, I don't know that the Tex situation is a great indicator of what may happen here. The O's made it pretty clear from the start that they were going against their usual rules because they deemed him a special case, so I don't think there were any expectations that they'd spend the money elsewhere if Tex didn't sign with us. Also, by the time Tex signed (1/6/09), I'm not even sure what other high-priced players were still on the market. The top hitters that winter were Manny Ramirez, Raul Ibanez, Milton Bradley and Rafael Furcal. Only ManRam and Bradley were still on the market when Tex was signed.

Yea forgot he signed kinda late.

All fair points. Still I have strong doubts if CD does not sign that PA would sign off on giving Heyward, Gordon, Cespedes or another that big a deal.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yea forgot he signed kinda late.

All fair points. Still I have strong doubts if CD does not sign that PA would sign off on giving Heyward, Gordon, Cespedes or another that big a deal.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We will not even bid on Heyward. It's CD or bust.

Archived