Crasnick: O's serious about Mancini as a 1B option

wildcard

I cannot believe anyone is assigning the slightest significance to Crasnick's tweet. It is quite obvious that there is no assurance we can sign Davis, and that the team needs to be thinking about what its other options would be at 1B. It is equally obvious that Mancini is one of the options they would consider. So Crasnick's tweet doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know, and we don't even know what his source is. All I can say is YYYYAAAAWWWWNNNN!!!! I don't think it sheds any light on how likely it is that we can re-sign Davis, or exactly what we'll do if we don't sign him.

I hear what you are saying, and agree that it is quite obvious that there is no assurance that we can sign Davis and that Mancini is one of the obvious options to consider. But, then, why the tweet? If, as you say, the tweet is about as newsworthy as tweeting that the Orioles plan on starting Adam Jones in center-field, then why bother tweeting it, unless there might be just a little more to it, according to your source? Just sayin'.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hear what you are saying, and agree that it is quite obvious that there is no assurance that we can sign Davis and that Mancini is one of the obvious options to consider. But, then, why the tweet? If, as you say, the tweet is about as newsworthy as tweeting that the Orioles plan on starting Adam Jones in center-field, then why bother tweeting it, unless there might be just a little more to it, according to your source? Just sayin'.

If you look at his Twitter feed, he had four tweets in a row about the O's. It looks to me like he read some stuff about the O's, and maybe even talked to someone, and then wrote these up because that's his job. Notice that he never even said there was a source. It's just stuff that has been written on MASN and elsewhere, repackaged to look new. Nothing to see here.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 19h19 hours ago

Also, #Orioles have some interest in bringing back OF Gerardo Parra. But probably on a two-year deal, tops.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 19h19 hours ago

#Orioles farm system is very thin. Major impediment to adding Jay Bruce or a bat in trade. O's don't want to deal Gausman or Schoop.

35 retweets 20 likes

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 20h20 hours ago

#Orioles need a RF, LF, 1B and DH. It'll be hard for Dan Duquette to add all four through trades or free agency.

Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 20h20 hours ago

#Orioles are serious about Trey Mancini as a 1B option if they don't re-sign Chris Davis. Notre Dame product logged .981 OPS in AA.

If you look at his Twitter feed, he had four tweets in a row about the O's. It looks to me like he read some stuff about the O's, and maybe even talked to someone, and then wrote these up because that's his job. Notice that he never even said there was a source. It's just stuff that has been written on MASN and elsewhere, repackaged to look new. Nothing to see here.
The Reds are asking Gausman or Schoop for Bruce?:smile11:

I'm sorry, but he doesn't merely say that Mancini is an option. He says that the Orioles are serious about Mancini as an option. To me, that indicates more that just tweeting the obvious. To me, that is a stronger statement than his tweet that DD has his work cut out for him trying to fill four holes thru FA and trades. Hey, I don't know, but I read a definite difference between how those tweets are presented. Don't you?

I'm sorry, but he doesn't merely say that Mancini is an option. He says that the Orioles are serious about Mancini as an option. To me, that indicates more that just tweeting the obvious. To me, that is a stronger statement than his tweet that DD has his work cut out for him trying to fill four holes thru FA and trades. Hey, I don't know, but I read a definite difference between how those tweets are presented. Don't you?

Unless he says that a source within the O's told him that, even if he doesn't name the source, it's all stuff he's gleaned from other articles. It's called curating and re-purposing content. It doesn't mean he knows anything.

Unless he says that a source within the O's told him that, even if he doesn't name the source, it's all stuff he's gleaned from other articles. It's called curating and re-purposing content. It doesn't mean he knows anything.

Help me out here. Are you saying that there are multiple articles out there saying that the Orioles are serious about Mancini being a real option to start at first base for the big club this year? To me, money would be the major reason for such a plan, and it would indicate that a plan to spend elsewhere, most likely OF and SP. I most certainly don't read it as a plan to not spend money for any players at any positions. Everything DD has said thus far seems to indicate that the Orioles do plan on spending some money. Have you read where he has said otherwise?

Help me out here. Are you saying that there are multiple articles out there saying that the Orioles are serious about Mancini being a real option to start at first base for the big club this year? To me, money would be the major reason for such a plan, and it would indicate that a plan to spend elsewhere, most likely OF and SP. I most certainly don't read it as a plan to not spend money for any players at any positions. Everything DD has said thus far seems to indicate that the Orioles do plan on spending some money. Have you read where he has said otherwise?

I'm saying that it's like a game of telephone. Roch posts an item about Mancini. Someone else picks up the item and adds that he's a real possibility. A third outlet picks up the item from the second source and embellishes a little more. By the time Crasnick is done with it, the O's are seriously considering it. But, if Crasnick doesn't mention that he has a source, his source is the internet. In other words, other stories. Here's how it all comes together on ESPN's Hot Stove Daily. Notice the use of the word daily. They have a lot to write. It doesn't all come from sources, and most of it isn't news.

Notice that what Crasnick wrote in this piece about Mancinin (bold) gets truncated and becomes more of a rumor in the twee.

Crasnick's take: As ESPN's Buster Olney has reported, Orioles owner Peter Angelos is trying to get involved in the team's effort to bring back Chris Davis.

If the Orioles can't pull that off, they might go young at the position and allow Christian Walker and Trey Mancini to compete at first base in spring training. Mancini, a 2013 eighth-round draft pick out of Notre Dame, has produced at every level in the system (.315/.356/.478 in 341 minor league games), and some people in the organization think he deserves a chance.

With Davis, Steve Pearce and Gerardo Parra all free agents, GM Dan Duquette has a major challenge in front of him trying to fill spots at first base, DH, left field and right field this winter. The challenge is compounded by a lack of talent in Baltimore's farm system.

The Orioles have examined the market for Jay Bruce and other impact hitters. But most teams bring up Kevin Gausman or second baseman Jonathan Schoop (who has 32 homers in 774 big league at-bats) in trade talks, and Duquette is hesitant to move either player because he would just be weakening one position to strengthen another. Shortcomings in the draft and player development have really caught up with the Orioles this offseason.

I'm saying that it's like a game of telephone. Roch posts an item about Mancini. Someone else picks up the item and adds that he's a real possibility. A third outlet picks up the item from the second source and embellishes a little more. By the time Crasnick is done with it, the O's are seriously considering it. But, if Crasnick doesn't mention that he has a source, his source is the internet. In other words, other stories. Here's how it all comes together on ESPN's Hot Stove Daily. Notice the use of the word daily. They have a lot to write. It doesn't all come from sources, and most of it isn't news.

Notice that what Crasnick wrote in this piece about Mancinin (bold) gets truncated and becomes more of a rumor in the twee.

What I notice is that you chose not to embolden the words that were truncated in the tweet: "some people in the organization think he deserves a chance."

My point is simply this: If the Orioles do spend serious money at SP and OF, it is unlikely that they would have a whole lot of money available to spend at first base. I couple that with what DD has been sayin about spending this off-season, and it seems rather evident to me that the Orioles don't plan on starting the season with Reimold and Lough starting in the outfield, no additions at SP, Paredes at DH, and Mancini at 1B. There is probably not enough money available for major upgrades at all of these positions, so it does make sense to me that serious consideration could be given to giving Mancini a shot if the available dollars are being spent on serious upgrades elsewhere.

What I notice is that you chose not to embolden the words that were truncated in the tweet: "some people in the organization think he deserves a chance."

My point is simply this: If the Orioles do spend serious money at SP and OF, it is unlikely that they would have a whole lot of money available to spend at first base. I couple that with what DD has been sayin about spending this off-season, and it seems rather evident to me that the Orioles don't plan on starting the season with Reimold and Lough starting in the outfield, no additions at SP, Paredes at DH, and Mancini at 1B. There is probably not enough money available for major upgrades at all of these positions, so it does make sense to me that serious consideration could be given to giving Mancini a shot if the available dollars are being spent on serious upgrades elsewhere.

Here is what Crasnick tweets when he actually has a source

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Several rival execs said they expect <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mariners?src=hash">#Mariners</a> GM Jerry Dipoto to trade Mark Trumbo this winter. Another bat on the market.</p>— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) <a href="

">November 24, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If you think I went to the trouble to find that article, link to it, and quote from it just to intentionally leave out something, I have no interest in this conversation any longer. Good luck.

If you think I went to the trouble to find that article, link to it, and quote from it just to intentionally leave out something, I have no interest in this conversation any longer. Good luck.

No, I was merely pointing out your obvious choice to embolden only the portion of the sentence that mentioned nothing about what people within the organization were thinking. Since, of course, the conversation was about exactly that - what the Orioles are thinking - it seemed a valid point to mention your omission.

I don't necessarily think that Mancini is option 1, or even option 8, but I think that it is definitely gbelievable that serious consideration is being given to him - and other inexpensive options at 1B - given that their is unlikely to be enough money vailable to make serious upgrades at all of the positions in need of upgrading. Similarly, if they do sign Davis or somehow acquire a guy like Freeman at 1B, there it will be hard to find the money for meaningful upgrades elsewhere.

Archived