Trumbo an Oriole (For Clevenger Done Deal)

MASNPalmer

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm assuming your numbers are correct. Also, assuming a 10% increase in payroll from last year (which a lot of people here don't see) means an opening day payroll of 132 million. Your number says the O's are at 114 million. I can't see the O's getting all the missing pieces they have for 18 million

With the adding of Trumbo - Clevenger are sitting at $110m when accounting for Arbs. But we don't have alot of dead weight contracts either.. No more Norris, De Aza, and Hunter which was $15m of the payroll last year. So in reality if payroll increased by 10% you are talking about a payroll total of $129.8m for OD. That leaves the Orioles give or take $20m left.

Now with that said.. if O'day comes back, and such (the fillers).. and we do get Davis back. Orioles will be sitting at $135-$140m range this year. Which is absolutely fine because in 2017 Orioles are gonna be on the hook (including arb) for around $86m. So Orioles can absorb 1 year being 20% over previous year.

Maybe if payroll is going up by a lot. We have already spent $24M. I thought we had room for about $30M with a level budget. I don't think that comes close to signing Davis.

I think whoever they sign as a starting pitcher it will be lower cost. I think they spend a lot on at least one player. A Span type at another spot. Maybe a platoon at the other spot-1B or corner OF.

How do we even know what the budget is? I'm not sure I buy it, but didn't DD say the money is there? Maybe the Orioles do raise the payroll to $140m. Who knows.

They said the money was there last year and we saw how that turned out. It would have to be a pretty significant increase to address all the needs.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

With the adding of Trumbo - Clevenger are sitting at $110m when accounting for Arbs. But we don't have alot of dead weight contracts either.. No more Norris, De Aza, and Hunter which was $15m of the payroll last year. So in reality if payroll increased by 10% you are talking about a payroll total of $129.8m for OD. That leaves the Orioles give or take $20m left.

Now with that said.. if O'day comes back, and such (the fillers).. and we do get Davis back. Orioles will be sitting at $135-$140m range this year. Which is absolutely fine because in 2017 Orioles are gonna be on the hook (including arb) for around $86m. So Orioles can absorb 1 year being 20% over previous year.

I absolutely think the O's can take on one year of being a little over on payroll but the O's still haven't addressed their biggest issues last season, COF and starting pitching. You can plug in Davis in RF but you suffer on defense. Still need a LF and a #3 starter.

How do we even know what the budget is? I'm not sure I buy it, but didn't DD say the money is there? Maybe the Orioles do raise the payroll to $140m. Who knows.

Can't see them raising payroll to $140MM+ while adding guys like Hoes, Trumbo, etc.

$140MM would be better spent locking down Machado and getting Davis/Heyward to a long term contract.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm gonna extent an invite to my new teammate <a href="https://twitter.com/Mtrumbo44">@Mtrumbo44</a> to the 3rd annual StayHungry tailgate <a href="https://twitter.com/BMOREAroundTown">@BMOREAroundTown</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/PTisFLY">@PTisFLY</a> it only right</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="

">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I like it. Trumbo has been a good regular four out of the past five years. Just the one bad season in 2014. Clevenger is not a MLB regular.

Whether the trade is the best use of the budget remains to be seen. Certainly debatable as of now. But for people saying Trumbo is really bad, or Clevenger is really good, both those statements are pretty much factually wrong based on their histories.

How can you say my point isnt tied to Wieters? You are completely avoiding the point. Trumbo isnt a terrible addition in general, but isnt a good one when the budget is severally limited now. The negatives of this deal are directly tied to the MW QO.

Sure the team has holes in the lineup, but they also have wholes in the pitching department that are more likely to need to be filled from the outside.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I'd say I completely addressed the point and you missed it. This is a moderately priced, market rate acquisition. The Orioles are going to make a few moderately priced, market rate acquisitions this offseason. Just because MW accepted the QO doesn't mean they were going to stop doing that. They have a limited budget, yes, and this uses some of their limited budget to effectively fill one of their many holes.

If they're getting their money's worth with Trumbo at $9M, and he plays a position where we are completely devoid of players, why does it matter that he's a hitter and not a pitcher? I don't follow what your objection is. Is it that you don't think Trumbo at $9M is market rate? What do you think he would get if he was non-tendered? Is it because you'd rather spend his $9M on a SP (of which we currently have 4 and only need 1) than a 1B/DH/LF/RF (of which we currently have none and need 4)? What do you think is the offseason plan that they can no longer implement now?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I'm gonna extent an invite to my new teammate <a href="https://twitter.com/Mtrumbo44">@Mtrumbo44</a> to the 3rd annual StayHungry tailgate <a href="https://twitter.com/BMOREAroundTown">@BMOREAroundTown</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/PTisFLY">@PTisFLY</a> it only right</p>— 10 (@SimplyAJ10) <a href="
">December 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I love how Adam's taken it on himself to be the unofficial captain of the team.

Archived