Trumbo an Oriole (For Clevenger Done Deal)

MASNPalmer

And I understand all this.

And if you look at his history, it does indeed suggest that he's more valuable at first than in the of.

True, his best year by fWAR was in 2012 when he was not primarily a first baseman, but that was also his best offensive season by a lot. He was about a league average first baseman in 2011 and 2013 while posting wRC+ of 107 and 109, which is about what he did in 2015. So it stands to reason that there is a decent chance he would be a league average starting first baseman next season. That's not exciting, but 2 wins for the price of one isn't bad either.

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I admittedly haven't studied his stats in-depth, but at first glance, I think I'd be okay with Steve Baron being the second piece in the deal. I have never heard of him until he was mentioned as a possibility by MLB Trade Rumors, but he was a first-round pick in 2009. Getting Boog Powell would be great, but at least Baron is a realistic return. He also replaces some of the catching depth that we lose by dealing Clevenger.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=baron-001ste

Baron has 531 plate appearances for the High Desert Mavericks with a .606 OPS. I didn' think that was possible. That place is often the highest-scoring run environment in affiliated minor league baseball. If he's assigned to Norfolk OPS might break.

Baron has 531 plate appearances for the High Desert Mavericks with a .606 OPS. I didn' think that was possible. That place is often the highest-scoring run environment in affiliated minor league baseball. If he's assigned to Norfolk OPS might break.

You think that's bad, check out Sucre. He almost did break wRC+ for the Mariners last year, at 15 in 142 ABs. Somehow he managed to hit a homer off Drew Hutchison to keep him in the positives.

Also, Sucre is 3 years older than Baron. I'm assuming they're both excellent defenders given that they're on the 40-man with no offensive potential whatsoever, so I'd gladly take Baron.

I think it's a good guess that we were allowed to pick between Baron/Sucre, and the delay is that the Orioles are taking some time to go over scouting reports. That's the kind of return we should be expecting for Clevenger.

He would just be organizational filler. Quality defensive catcher. Folks shouldn't *expect* a lotto ticket with this throw-in. I'd imagine it's more (we have room on our 40 and could use an extra glove since we're sending you a catcher). With respect to your High Desert thoughts: spot on, in my opinion.

How many people here would have been losing their minds if the O's didn't offer the QO, though? I think they absolutely did the right thing, Wieters just threw a wrench in their plans.

Does it matter whether the fans are going to be upset or not when decided on a QO for a player? It's risk assessment game and the Orioles choose the wrong answer and now we have to pay for that this offseason unless Angelos is willing to just eat that contract and still use the normal budget. Angelos' hisotry does not suggest he'll do that.

His exact value depends on the flavor of WAR you pick. It's pretty irrelvant - he wasn't great last year, poor but also injured in '14, pretty decent before that. They'll be paying for a little over one win, and he does have an opportunity to exceed that.

Why do you keep saying this? If he's a DH or 1st baseman, what makes you think he will be worth only one win most likely when besides 2014, he's been worth more than that every year?

Does it matter whether the fans are going to be upset or not when decided on a QO for a player? It's risk assessment game and the Orioles choose the wrong answer and now we have to pay for that this offseason unless Angelos is willing to just eat that contract and still use the normal budget. Angelos' hisotry does not suggest he'll do that.

I suspect that just about every baseball fan and talking head was shocked that Wieters was the one that jump ship and accept the QO.

We debated that topic all summer, and very few things in OH that are a vast majority on the same opinion. But, this was one, Wieters was a Boras candidate and in a very high demand position, somebody would pony up and offer him $$$$$$.

He would just be organizational filler. Quality defensive catcher. Folks shouldn't *expect* a lotto ticket with this throw-in. I'd imagine it's more (we have room on our 40 and could use an extra glove since we're sending you a catcher). With respect to your High Desert thoughts: spot on, in my opinion.

I get that he's just organizational filler, don't expect a real prospect coming back in a Clevenger-Trumbo deal. This was more of me musing out loud again - almost every time I see a post about a hyper run environment I'm the one replying that a 1.203 OPS isn't necessarily real. I'm truly interested in a scientific/train wreck kind of way to see what happens when you let 500 points of air out of a .600 OPS.

I saw Trumbo a lot in Anaheim with the Angels.If he can find that swing again he will be a terrific pick up for a DH or 1b alternate. To give up Cleve who wasn't going to play much makes it a great deal albeit a salary dump for Seattle.

The question remains…will we be able to sign Crush?

If we do, this is a terrific deal, but he's no outfielder.

If we don't, we better spend some serious money for LHSP and a corner OF.

Let's stick Trumbo at first, spend Davis' money on pitching and OF help and accelerate Mancini's development curve with 2017 as the target.

I suspect that just about every baseball fan and talking head was shocked that Wieters was the one that jump ship and accept the QO.

We debated that topic all summer, and very few things in OH that are a vast majority on the same opinion. But, this was one, Wieters was a Boras candidate and in a very high demand position, somebody would pony up and offer him $$$$$$.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me what the "majority" of fans thought on the matter. I would not have offered the QO because the risk of him accepting it did not out-gain the potential loss of a draft pick in my mind. The Orioles don't have the payroll flexibility that allows for Wieters to make $16 million. Now, maybe Angelos will change his tune and that won't affect the Orioles' offseason plans, but I remain very skeptical that Angelos will change his operating procedures that he's used since the Albert belle fiasco.

Archived