Yeah Hernandez!!!!!!

GotNitro

I will take one game winning hit and two productive (run scoring outs) any day over a SS who has six non productive hits over 5 games and is hitting 300. This isn't fantasy league baseball this is the real thing where the idea is winning games which is what the team has shown a propensity to do with LH as their starting SS. Maybe that is upsetting to some here but for the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone would be upset at winning regardless of what offensive stats LH is putting up. The lad is a "winner."

I'm glad we are winning, I just don't think having someone like Hernandez at shortstop gives us the best chance to win on a regular basis. And yes, he has 3 RBI, but how often is he going to come up with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out?

How has he proven to be a winner? He has 1 game winning hit. What else has he won? Ever? Awards? Titles? Pine wood derby competitions?

Yeah, this reminded me of his interview after the game, in which I believe he said he never had a walkoff hit in the minors. If he were a winner, wouldn't he have done that several times?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm glad we are winning, I just don't think having someone like Hernandez at shortstop gives us the best chance to win on a regular basis. And yes, he has 3 RBI, but how often is he going to come up with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 out?

Yeah, this reminded me of his interview after the game, in which I believe he said he never had a walkoff hit in the minors. If he were a winner, wouldn't he have done that several times?

I would certainly think so. It would seem quite hypocritical for someone who loves bashing people for "making assumptions" to jump to a conclusion like that based off of one AB.

So would I if "getting a hit and two productive (run scoring outs) while getting out in all non-productive situations" was a repeatable skill.

How has he proven to be a winner? He has 1 game winning hit. What else has he won? Ever? Awards? Titles? Pine wood derby competitions?

Why are you even bothering??

So would I if "getting a hit and two productive (run scoring outs) while getting out in all non-productive situations" was a repeatable skill.

I don't have the numbers nor the time to research them, but I would be willing to take a bet that the Orioles W-L record percentage was better last season with LH as the starting SS verus Tejada. So indeed, the lad seems to make the team a "winner" by his presence. Time of course will tell, but why mess with sucess. If the team has a better winning percentage with him on the field why all the ridiculous whining and complaining about the lad? He appears to be a "winner" just like Mark Belanger was a "winner." By that I mean he helps make his team better by his presence.

I don't have the numbers nor the time to research them, but I would be willing to take a bet that the Orioles W-L record percentage was better last season with LH as the starting SS versus Tejada. So indeed, the lad seems to make the team a "winner" by his presence. Time of course will tell, but why mess with sucess. If the team has a better winning percentage with him on the field why all the ridiculous whining and complaining about the lad? He appears to be a "winner" just like Mark Belanger was a "winner." By that I mean he helps make his team better by his presence.

I will take one game winning hit and two productive (run scoring outs) any day over a SS who has six non productive hits over 5 games and is hitting 300. This isn't fantasy league baseball this is the real thing where the idea is winning games which is what the team has shown a propensity to do with LH as their starting SS. Maybe that is upsetting to some here but for the life of me I cannot fathom why anyone would be upset at winning regardless of what offensive stats LH is putting up. The lad is a "winner."

Huzzah! If only the Orioles could have collected an entire team of scrappy winners the Yankees and Sox would be roadkill. Luis Hernandez, David Eckstein, Darin Erstad, David Newhan... maybe we could get Bill Ripken to be the hitting coach, and Rene Gonzales to manage. Winning isn't a result of stupid, selfish, unproductive things like getting hits, pitching well, and hitting homers. Winning comes from being a winner.

One thing I've realized from watching 3000+ baseball games is that everyone who's on a winning team is a winner, and that's how they win. It's obvious to anyone who knows anything about baseball that nobody ever won anything with stupid fantasy computer home runs.

Huzzah! If only the Orioles could have collected an entire team of scrappy winners the Yankees and Sox would be roadkill. Luis Hernandez, David Eckstein, Darin Erstad, David Newhan... maybe we could get Bill Ripken to be the hitting coach, and Rene Gonzales to manage. Winning isn't a result of stupid, selfish, unproductive things like getting hits, pitching well, and hitting homers. Winning comes from being a winner.

One thing I've realized from watching 3000+ baseball games is that everyone who's on a winning team is a winner, and that's how they win. It's obvious to anyone who knows anything about baseball that nobody ever won anything with stupid fantasy computer home runs.

You should really just change your username to "Ken Tremendous" and get it over with...;)

Wow, it really must strike a nerve with you that you cannot quantify or statistically measure such intangibles as "heart" "scrappiness" "hustle" and being a "gamer?" Yet, this is how I would define some of these same players you mention above. Billy Martin would have loved them, same as Earl Weaver. They both would care less about your sabermetrical infatuation.:eek:

Wow, it really must strike a nerve with you that you cannot quantify or statistically measure such intangibles as "heart" "scrappiness" "hustle" and being a "gamer?" Yet, this is how I would define some of these same players you mention above. Billy Martin would have loved them, same as Earl Weaver. They both would care less about your sabermetrical infatuation.:eek:

http://danagonistes.blogspot.com/2005/04/wisdom-of-weaver.html

Weaver's Third Law: The easiest way around the bases is with one swing of the bat

Can't argue with that logic. In other words power and speed are not equals.

Weaver's Fourth Law: Your most precious possessions on offense are your twenty-seven outs

Weaver was ahead of his time in understanding the importance of not giving away outs. He says it makes no sense to bunt early in the game since you're giving away an out in a situation where a single run is not crucial. The opportunity cost of giving away outs early always exceeds the benefit.

Weaver's Fifth Law: If you play for one run, that's all you'll get

A corollary to the fourth law.

Weaver's Sixth Law: Don't play for one run unless you know that run will win a ballgame

The reason for the fifth law. Dusty Baker should learn this one.

All sabermatric concepts, and smart baseball.

Nice try.

On one side you have a team of 9 Miguel Tejadas...On the other, you have 9 Luis Hernandezes.....Which team wins more games over the course of a whole year?

On one side you have a team of 9 Miguel Tejadas...On the other, you have 9 Luis Hernandezes.....Which team wins more games over the course of a whole year?

Neither; you want a team with a combination of both. The big bat and the slick glove, and clutch situational type hitting.:P

I can't believe you guys continue these conversations. What possible upside is there? What am I missing?

That both sides get to look down their noses at each other, each believing their baseball knowledge is superior.

I'm not knocking it. Feeling superior is a pretty powerful motivator.

Archived