"Wow offer made to Davis!" (7 years - $150M Not one nickle more)

wildcard

And that's the number I meant. Heyman has become the mouthpiece for him. Do you think the market is hurt or made better because someone puts out a number? It's not how it works.
Well why do you think they leak these numbers? Why don't you tell me how the market works oh wise one. :rolleyestf:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well why do you think they leak these numbers? Why don't you tell me how the market works oh wise one. :rolleyestf:

The short version? The numbers are floated as a starting off point. Sometimes they're close and sometimes not. It's the player's representatives that leak them as an inducement to negotiate, not the teams.

The demand for Davis and his services is determined by any team with a number of determining factors, franchise market, roster flexibility, payroll, etc. It isn't affected by people supposedly trying to alter that market through some kind of disinformation. As if a team that has a legitimate interest in a player would be suddenly backed off by a tactic. Might they not actually check in with the player or his representatives? These guys negotiate contracts every year. Not to mention due diligence.

The idea that a team floats a number to "scare" off another team from the market is juvenile.

The short version? The numbers are floated as a starting off point. Sometimes they're close and sometimes not. It's the player's representatives that leak them as an inducement to negotiate, not the teams.

The demand for Davis and his services is determined by any team with a number of determining factors, franchise market, roster flexibility, payroll, etc. It isn't affected by people supposedly trying to alter that market through some kind of disinformation. As if a team that has a legitimate interest in a player would be suddenly backed off by a tactic. Might they not actually check in with the player or his representatives? These guys negotiate contracts every year. Not to mention due diligence.

The idea that a team floats a number to "scare" off another team from the market is juvenile.

Well why do you suppose DD allowed the 7/140 number to be floated? Was he acting juvenile?

I still can't believe you think DD tells JD what to say on his XM show.
I doubt the Duq XM is a Boras shill, and I don't think he would put that figure out if his cousin didn't want it out. That's not the same as DD telling him what to say. Ever heard of off the record/on the record with reporters?

I doubt the Duq XM is a Boras shill, and I don't think he would put that figure out if his cousin didn't want it out. That's not the same as DD telling him what to say. Ever heard of off the record/on the record with reporters?

He and other hosts throw out numbers for signings all the time. As a former GM gives him some legitimacy. He doesn't need a source for his numbers. I don't give special weight to Orioles-related stories. He's like all the others in that he is rarely correct.

Well why do you suppose DD allowed the 7/140 number to be floated? Was he acting juvenile?

Do you have evidence he did this or as usual are spouting off a theory to fit your dimly lit view? What do mean "DD allowed"? Do you really believe he's behind the scenes controlling events as opposed to a person in charge of the baseball operations for a MLB team? He doesn't need to "float" numbers. If they want Davis he'll make an offer and the process of negotiations begins.

It's amazing this has to be explained at this point.

He and other hosts throw out numbers for signings all the time. As a former GM gives him some legitimacy. He doesn't need a source for his numbers. I don't give special weight to Orioles-related stories. He's like all the others in that he is rarely correct.
If he didn't take care with what he says about the Orioles, his O's sources wouldl dry up. He wouldn't last long just making stuff up. He would become ostracized by the community at large.

Roch Kubatko

Orioles have enough funds to re-sign first baseman Chris Davis despite committing $15.8 million to catcher Matt Wieters. I understand that the proof is in the payroll, but it's just the latest example that they're serious about negotiations.

It didn't sound this way last winter regarding Nick Markakis and Nelson Cruz, and they never reached out to Andrew Miller's agent because they had no intention of offering a four-year deal to a set-up man. But ownership is less willing to let Davis walk.

I won't place odds on Davis returning, but it's certainly not out of the question.

Do you have evidence he did this or as usual are spouting off a theory to fit your dimly lit view? What do mean "DD allowed"? Do you really believe he's behind the scenes controlling events as opposed to a person in charge of the baseball operations for a MLB team? He doesn't need to "float" numbers. If they want Davis he'll make an offer and the process of negotiations begins.

Dan has played down Chris' membership in the mega contract club. Says he started late, worked hard to get where he is, has had ups and downs, and a suspension. Does not have the track record of an extended period of play at the level that has traditionally garnered top of the market paycheck. Says he has great power. Which is in high demand.

Dan Duquette downplays where the market might be and did not argue with Bowden or Jim D saying that 120 million sounds right. Despite the 80 billion dollar rumors. Says the market has to play out on this and the ownership of the Orioles is very interested in being one of the bidders for his services.

Look why is this so hard. DD and JD are both GM's or former GM's and thus members of a select community who talk and share information to suit their purposes, all the time. Do I have evidence that Ken Rosenthal has sources with most clubs. No, do I really need it to assume he does, or should I just think he makes stuff up? Same for JD, especially since it's his cousin and he has ties with his former club. JD would not just pull the 7/140 out of his service entrance and put it out there. He would have to know it was OK with DD . Other wise he would quickly get cut off by the O's.

Archived